Steel shot and Doves

Magnum 3

Is it just me or would more hunters out there like to switch this to a lead shoot vs steel. The whole point of Dove season being listed under migratory is a joke in itself ( in my opinion ) . There are doves here year long and it just seems like a huge money grab especially for those who don't hunt for ducks and geese . You pay for the migratory tag plus steel shot . The grain is coming off already which means the fields are teaming with morning doves . Yet you have to wait till " When " in the fall for it to open , when some migratory seasons are already open earlier . And correct me if I'm wrong but can you even shoot pigeons if available . Definitely would be a bonus , size wise anyway . Is this topic open for discussion with feds. and or ministry and if so who would you contact to get them to review it ?

I think Winchester is the only makers of Steel shot for Dove's (#8's) as I purchased some privately awhile back but maybe now there could be others ? If it flies across the border it's classed as a migratory bird ? To find out about government contacts send a PM to Tundra Swan as he should know everybody due to his effort in establishing a Tundra Swan Hunting Season here.

Kent makes number 7s
Woodcocks are more migratory then doves in my opinion and are classified as such but you can hunt them with lead,
So be a strong argument that we should be able to hunt doves with lead,
In the states can they hunt doves with lead?
Be curious since they started with steel for waterfowl and hunted doves long before we has seasons

I think Winchester is the only makers of Steel shot for Dove's (#8's) as I purchased some privately awhile back but maybe now there could be others ? If it flies across the border it's classed as a migratory bird ? To find out about government contacts send a PM to Tundra Swan as he should know everybody due to his effort in establishing a Tundra Swan Hunting Season here.
Challenger was making steel in at least #6 also , along with Kent . As far as I've read , it appears as some states are still using lead , where others have changed to steel .

You can hunt doves with lead in most places in the USA. There may be some lead free states like California that require lead free ammo but everywhere I hunted them lead was legal.

Don't try to make any sense out of what falls under the Migratory Birds Convention Act an what doesn't, you'll pull your hair out. Go down and watch huge groups of turkey vultures migrate across the lake in the fall, then ask yourself why they fall under provincial regulations...

Yes pigeons are legal year round with a small game license. You can use lead for them. Now go look for them in the regulations. Don't ask why they aren't in either federal or provincial regulations, you'll pull your hair out.

The reason we have to wait for September is that the doves are still breeding. If you want sustainable game populations, don't shoot momma and let the chicks starve back at the nest. That's the theory anyways.

On the lead vs. steel debate - upland birds do ingest lead and die from it, doves included. I don't mind using steel shot but I don't understand why it costs more than lead. Lead is worth more than steel at the scrap yard, but if you put it in a shotgun shell it is worth less? There's probably a simple answer but I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm guessing the low melting point of lead makes the process of making shot easier.

I come at this from a different point of view. Most of the shells I put through my shotgun in a year are steel at waterfowl. Once I get use to the speed and leads I hate to switch back and forth. I have a case of steel #6 which I use on doves and crippled ducks. I am going to try them this year on grouse and pheasants. If they workout OK I will move to shooing steel 100% of the time.

There is no doubt that lead is a toxin though there is still lots of controversy how much impact it actually has in the environment. However, I feel if I can eliminate spreading it around while still getting in successful hunts I am happy to make the change.

I come at this from a different point of view. Most of the shells I put through my shotgun in a year are steel at waterfowl. Once I get use to the speed and leads I hate to switch back and forth. I have a case of steel #6 which I use on doves and crippled ducks. I am going to try them this year on grouse and pheasants. If they workout OK I will move to shooing steel 100% of the time.

There is no doubt that lead is a toxin though there is still lots of controversy how much impact it actually has in the environment. However, I feel if I can eliminate spreading it around while still getting in successful hunts I am happy to make the change.
In all honestly your thoughts make total sense. While I have you here , what brand did you buy a case of . I have a box of challenger #6 steel 12 ga. , which I don't know if they're still available but I'd like some ones opinion on them before I buy a case. Then a couple kent 12 and 20's that will probably be fine but cost more also . Thing is for me , I have a lot more lead and if I'm using that in an older gun for birds or rabbits , I almost have to keep another one handy if it ends up being a better day for doves . I guess that's the only real option .

Great comments. Anyone still fighting the lead argument is past the mark and missing the point.
Learn how to shoot steel and stop polluting the environment with lead.
Its simple.

In all honestly your thoughts make total sense. While I have you here , what brand did you buy a case of . I have a box of challenger #6 steel 12 ga. , which I don't know if they're still available but I'd like some ones opinion on them before I buy a case. Then a couple kent 12 and 20's that will probably be fine but cost more also . Thing is for me , I have a lot more lead and if I'm using that in an older gun for birds or rabbits , I almost have to keep another one handy if it ends up being a better day for doves . I guess that's the only real option .
Sorry Magnum I keep forgetting to check for you but I did just now. They are Winchester Experts 2 3/4 1 oz #6. I bought them (I think at Hummason's) initially to have in my blind bag for a cheaper and more efficient load to dispatch crippled ducks. They do a great job under 40 yards but limited value longer out. I don't shoot doves much but when I have I have used them and I tried them once on game farm pheasants and they were fine. In fact I enjoyed the way 99% of pellets passed straight through. My only problem is I usually use a 20 ga for upland so will need to look for some 20 ga steel.

Sorry Magnum I keep forgetting to check for you but I did just now. They are Winchester Experts 2 3/4 1 oz #6. I bought them (I think at Hummason's) initially to have in my blind bag for a cheaper and more efficient load to dispatch crippled ducks. They do a great job under 40 yards but limited value longer out. I don't shoot doves much but when I have I have used them and I tried them once on game farm pheasants and they were fine. In fact I enjoyed the way 99% of pellets passed straight through. My only problem is I usually use a 20 ga for upland so will need to look for some 20 ga steel.
Getting to be tough sledding for that 20 ga. steel in 3" anyway . Cheapest I could find was #7 steel target @$20 plus tax so I grabbed the last 3boxes but they are 2 3/4 '" which isn't a big deal for doves . If I did switch to steel for pheasant , I'd much prefer the 3" on longer shots and I'm guessing 5's . But at this point I think I'd take almost anything as I was told companies like Score couldn't even get the powder or components to make shells , so that's one less Canadian avenue to access there . Oh and if you haven't stocked up on 3 1/2"s better get looking fast as the stores aren't getting what they were promised there either.

Hey Magnum if you're going to be using 2 different loads ( steel and lead) make sure you don't have ant lead on you if you decide to dove hunt, you could be charged. I asked a CO the question concerning fall turkeys on a property with ponds thinking if the turkey hunting was slow I would jump the ponds for ducks. He told me not to have any turkey loads on my person if I'm jumping the ponds. He suggested non-toxic loads for both. TC

Hey Magnum if you're going to be using 2 different loads ( steel and lead) make sure you don't have ant lead on you if you decide to dove hunt, you could be charged. I asked a CO the question concerning fall turkeys on a property with ponds thinking if the turkey hunting was slow I would jump the ponds for ducks. He told me not to have any turkey loads on my person if I'm jumping the ponds. He suggested non-toxic loads for both. TC
Yah. thought crossed my mind after I said it . But riddle me this TC . If I have different loads and the other firearm in my truck for doves , locked up on the property I'm hunting , I should be good right . Nothing in my pockets but lead for other hunting . Odds say I'll have 2 different gauge also but that's not definite . I'm only a couple hundred yards or so away at the most anyway .

Yah. thought crossed my mind after I said it . But riddle me this TC . If I have different loads and the other firearm in my truck for doves , locked up on the property I'm hunting , I should be good right . Nothing in my pockets but lead for other hunting . Odds say I'll have 2 different gauge also but that's not definite . I'm only a couple hundred yards or so away at the most anyway .
As long as you don't have them on your person your OK. I'm the same way, lots of times I'll have 20ga lead loads on me for squirrels but then I'll switch them out when I go to pond jump for ducks. TC

As long as you don't have them on your person your OK. I'm the same way, lots of times I'll have 20ga lead loads on me for squirrels but then I'll switch them out when I go to pond jump for ducks. TC
So now the only question I have is , if a warden stops me and sees doves in the vehicle am I still good . If I have lead in my pocket and no other game to show . I know that's a stretch . But does it still stand.

So now the only question I have is , if a warden stops me and sees doves in the vehicle am I still good . If I have lead in my pocket and no other game to show . I know that's a stretch . But does it still stand.
Very good question. I would assume if you have the hulls from steel shot (and the right permit) you would be ok. I would go to the Ontario Out of Doors website where they have a "ask a warden" section and ask that. TC

Very good question. I would assume if you have the hulls from steel shot (and the right permit) you would be ok. I would go to the Ontario Out of Doors website where they have a "ask a warden" section and ask that. TC
Thinkin the same . Just as long as I don't also have spent lead. Usually keep them.

You just can't possess lead shot while hunting doves. If you're in the truck, you're not hunting. There's always the chance of an overzealous officer giving you a hard time so you need to weigh the chance of an argument against making separate trips.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks