spring turkey & bear hunting

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Does anybody have any info on buying 2019 hunting licences for turkey and spring bear.

Are they on sale? Cost and purchase options for a bear licence would be appreciated.

ya I forget if this is year 4 or year 5 since they reintroduced ontario spring bear hunting...the MNR said it was a 5 year pilot project and haven't heard anything different for an update...

Last edited:
I bought my spring turkey license on line and printed my own tag. It went just fine for me but I have heard other people have had trouble. If you are reasonably computer literate and your printer is dependable I think you should be just fine.

Thanks for the replys...I will try the online purchase...ya my printer works fine...thats what our MNR encourages us to do is help reduce cost..

the nice option for purchasing a spring bear licence is if you don't fill your tag in the spring its valid for the fall season..

Last edited:
I also like the on-line option. You can only print a tag once but your license you can print multiple copies so you can stick them in each hunting coat, tackle box, boat whatever. You can also save on your computer and print more if you need them. I should never again be in the position of being out fishing without my license because it is in my turkey vest :(

2019 bear & deer licences are $49.56 each...they removed the $2 processing fee passing some savings on to us..

if you check the price we also saved on canceling the scheduled 2019 licence increase...on all 2019 hunting and fishing licences for ontario residents...it all adds up to savings...

ya old cut longpointer i agree our licences have never reduced in cost since i remember ...

and I also remember specifically when they reintroduced our treasured ontario spring bear hunting 5 year project oppurtunuity..When it was first announced the MNR minister promised not to raise the bear licence during the 5 years..well that was an out right lie because the MNR did raise the licence after year 2...other then that I overall respect our MNR...but think they could do a better job managing some resources..

Last edited:
I bought my deer and spring turkey licenses (non resident) today online and it was very slow but did work. Thought they were a bit cheaper then got the gst etc added in and said oh there it is. The paper game tags are gonna be a pain in wet weather, otherwise way more convenient than over the counter

Hi @Elmerfudd happy to read you bought nonresident deer & turkey licences online...it is my understanding..you carry the tag and when you harvest your animal...you notch out the date & time..and put it back in your wallet...ya i agree moisture will be an issue...

Last edited:
The MNR suggests using a luggage name tag holder and a zip tie to affix your "tag" to your kill or a good sandwich bag. Really ...….. wtf ? That's what you get for 50 bucks ? Not to mention the onus is on you to make sure that your so called "tag" does not get damaged or illegible. Also if you do pocket your tag YOU must remain with the animal in question. So if you are in one truck and your deer is in another..... GOTCHA !
I can bet the CO's will get writers cramp this fall handing out tickets for minor infractions related to this new "tag" system.

Hi Mick, sounded like your fishing down south went pretty well! Good on you! Yes on the online purchase and beats the hell out of having to constantly re-educate the dumb ass at Canadian tire on how to sell me a non-res license. Ditto what Old Cut posted. I have that same concern about keeping the tag in my pocket. Walk away from my deer for a minute and get a CO in a bad mood and there you go. I was staring at my tags on my desk and had an idea - I grabbed a roll of clear packing tape and just covered the tag area of the paper on both sides with it, then cut them out with scissors. I have a lifetime H/F license down here in West Virginia and they used to be printed on thin cardboard. I remembered I did the same thing back then and its lasted 20 yrs plus. I usually just tie wrap a tag around antler or leg and let warden cut it loose if he wants to read it.

Good idea about the tape there Elmerfudd ! Now to buy stock in 3M as sales are going to rocket ! LoL !
I'm told business supply places sell Letter size [ 8 1/2 x 11 inch ] sheets of clear adhesive plastic. Not sure of price.

before my spring bear hunt.. I will be calling the MNR info line and inquiry about fixing the tag like we used to vs carrying the notched out tag...and what are they looking for...

your right long pointer some of these enforcement officers want us to get creative...heres an example of nitpicking.. 2 seasons ago one deer huntin buddy was told by a CO to bring nail clippers with him next time to properly notch out his fixed on the antler deer tag...the officer didn't like how the date & time wasn't clearly notched out..

I am not going to sweat the small stuff...ya using a roll of clear adhesive tape sounds easy and good enough @Elmerfudd...even on a bear notch the tag out and tape it around the snout with a few wraps..

Thanks Harold...yes the fishing was good..

Last edited:
I will state first that the overwhelming majority of game wardens/CO's have been fine people in my infrequent dealings with them. But up where I deer hunt above Orillia there is a CO running around that nitpicks everything. Actually gave my landowner host trouble over how he attached his tag - wire vs string. Also tried to fine his two boys for throwing a football around on their front lawn - next to the woods - their own woods during deer season - for not wearing blaze orange. It turns out the CO wanted permission to hunt this property and my landowner did not allow it. So he shows up to check us out frequently and always with a red ass. We will see if he disqualifies my tag because I laminated it with clear tape. I am very careful notching tags as I know they get stupid about it.

Well that kinda sucks Harold when you got a favourite hunting spot with a trouble maker CO lurking around..nothing lasts forever so maybe you won't see him again...all you can do is keep hunting like you do and see if anything happens..
the last time i was checked was throughly 2 seasons ago deer huntin up at lake of the woods nestor falls by 2 COs...I was driving out a forestry road and caught up to them so they braked and got out and started there check They wanted to know everything about my deer hunting..I complied and they documented all my licencing and searched my vehicle top to bottom including my 3 firearms..honestly it felt a little intimadating being by myself.

For COs In the north and hunting is different then hunting in the south..just one example is black bear gallbladders and there internal organs...the most intense CO searching we experienced was in quebec at spring bear camp...not only once but twice in one week the entire camp & vehicles/boats/ATVs were throughly searched..they also had mirrors on wheels to search under the vehicles..I happened to be out of camp both days fishing during my week of bear huntin...at that time quebec hired extra officers to conduct searching and investigations in illegal possession of black bear internal parts...back then it was mostly american bear hunters and were law abiding hunters and weren't even involved...

ya the nitpicker CO that gave my buddy the nail clipper advice...has a oh boy reputation during the controlled deer hunt..but his partner does keep him in check so hes not to out of line...

I got a turkey opening morning and started looking for the little pair of folding scissors I use to carry in my vest to notch the tag and could not find them. However I found the new paper tag it is quite easy to do with just your finger nail. I notched it and put it back in little ziplock bag in my pocket. I wasn't checked but if I had been I was legal and all very easy. I can live with the new system.

I just bought my Bear license for an upcoming trip

Says on license that if you tag animal you must attach seal to the tendon on one of the rear legs.

Unless I'm wrong bears don't have tendon like moose or deer where u can cut and put tag or spreader bar thŕu

I don't mind a new tag ...but let's not change ever rule.

Much easier to tag ear or nose

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks