Spring seedlings

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
I'm stilll a newbie vegetable gardener and asking for some help.

I bought a Seed Starting Tray for this year - a change from last year when I started with Jiffy Pots. The instructions say to cover the seed tray with the plastic cover it came with and to put them in a warm location away from direct sunlight. They are to go in a sunny location without the cover when the seeds have sprouted.

It seems strange to me to not get them into sunlight from the beginning... I'm assuming I should follow the instructions and would welcome any words of wisdom.

Thank you

I'm stilll a newbie vegetable gardener and asking for some help.

I bought a Seed Starting Tray for this year - a change from last year when I started with Jiffy Pots. The instructions say to cover the seed tray with the plastic cover it came with and to put them in a warm location away from direct sunlight. They are to go in a sunny location without the cover when the seeds have sprouted.

It seems strange to me to not get them into sunlight from the beginning... I'm assuming I should follow the instructions and would welcome any words of wisdom.

Thank you
@Mrs. Stomp I could ask my wife once she gets back home from work later today. She has the “green thumb” in our household!! lol 😂 🤣😉👍🙂

@Mrs. Stomp that is my understanding, high humidity (covered) until they germinate and there is green growing and then treat them like a regular plant after that.

Just started some of ours this weekend, I'll get to the faster growers in a couple of weeks.

@Mrs. Stomp that is my understanding, high humidity (covered) until they germinate and there is green growing and then treat them like a regular plant after that.

Just started some of ours this weekend, I'll get to the faster growers in a couple of weeks.
@hvyhaul I remember the pics of your seedlings last year.... a few more than will fill my tiny garden!

@Mrs. Stomp my wife says to make sure that there is heat under your tray,if you don’t,your vegetable plant’s will grow long and leggy. I hope that this helps too also.
@Mrs. Stomp I wanted my wife to respond back to you on here,but she forgot her password from her old IPhone. @Mrs. Stomp I wonder if @stomp or you wouldn’t mind personally messaging me,because Jacqueline then would love to help you out on your gardening questions whenever needed,once she gets back on @stomp website page. Thanks in advance. 👍🙂

@stomp will get jealous if I get them a warm blanket so I"ll put them close to the register for some heat - my thanks to your wife.
lol 🤣😂 @Mrs. Stomp and that’s exactly what my wife just said,about putting them close to the register for some heat. She puts the lid over her planter as well,and my wife calls it,putting the plants to 🛌 bed!! lol 😂 🤣 😉👍🙂

lol 🤣😂 @Mrs. Stomp and that’s exactly what my wife just said,about putting them close to the register for some heat. She puts the lid over her planter as well,and my wife calls it,putting the plants to 🛌 bed!! lol 😂 🤣 😉👍🙂
I just remembered & I should mention @Mrs. Stomp that I bought my wife this past Christmas 🎄 a heating pad to put under her planter. Here is a photo of the heating pad and the bar code,(sorry for the blurry photo),for it,because I wanted to buy one of these for our daughter as well,but they only had the one heating pad at the Walmart in Hyde Park at the time. I hope that this information will help you as well,about the heating pad,& all the best to your vegetable garden. 🥕🫑🥬🥦🥒🌽 😋😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 3FAAF494-7CD4-43F2-A317-DE32739F2CE8.jpeg
    3FAAF494-7CD4-43F2-A317-DE32739F2CE8.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 5
  • D2D0054B-5696-4983-B008-87F6A22DF7C8.jpeg
    D2D0054B-5696-4983-B008-87F6A22DF7C8.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I think the idea of keeping them warm in the beginning is so the seeds will germinate properly. Same applies to direct planting outside in your garden , you must have the right soil temperatures. Big problem with using a window as your source of light is that the new plants will lean towards the light and get "leggy" as in thin to the point of falling over because of weak stalks. Overhead grow lights help eliminate that. Trying to duplicate a greenhouse in your kitchen or living room window is impossible and/or impractical but getting some plants started is still doable . Timing your plants will be the tricky part.

As a disclaimer ; I am not a farmer or even have a greenthumb but every year I try to start some plants but my back up plan is the Old Girl around the corner who has two greenhouses ; one grows lettuce, tomatoes. seedless cucumbers and the other for seedlings(starter plants) which she sells later. If all else fails.... shop local ? LoL !

@Red Hering , please send along Jacqueline's username, or, if that isn't handy, in a private conversation, send along her e-mail address and I will get her back on the 6-8 air.㊙️🪴(y)👍👍🦰🐩

@Mrs. Stomp I wanted my wife to respond back to you on here,but she forgot her password from her old IPhone. @Mrs. Stomp I wonder if @stomp or you wouldn’t mind personally messaging me,because Jacqueline then would love to help you out on your gardening questions whenever needed,once she gets back on @stomp website page. Thanks in advance. 👍🙂
@Red Hering Thanks for the connection with Jacqueline!

@stomp Does the poodle emoji mean that we're getting one?? :love:
@stomp Does the poodle emoji mean that we're getting one?? :love:
Thanks 🙏 to the both of you for your help,👍👍🥰 and I will let Jacqueline know once she gets home from work,to get in touch with you @stomp about her sending her e-mail address to the private conversation section. Enjoy 😊 your new poodle 🐩 to you both!! 😗 lol 😂 🤣 😉👍👍🙂

@Mrs. Stomp most of the seeds will germinate within a few days
I would put them in the sunlight after a couple days even if you don’t see them sprouting out of the soil yet.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks