Special mate boxes

Skid

Could someone tell me if 3 1/2 and 4” spoons will fit well in the 5” special mate boxes.

My box pictured above is a 5 inch plenty of room for the spoons ur talking about. If ur planning on putting larger baits in then get an 8 inch

The other thing to look for is if you buy a spoon version or a crankbait version. The crankbait has the individual slots to stop body hooks from hitting eachother where for spoons only that is not needed. The spoon boxes can hold 225 spoons where the crankbait can only hold 120

Just checked the 5” box. 3 1/2 inch and rrf do not touch not even close. 4” just touch but not enough to cause a problem. Next box is gonna be a 5” box because I won’t go any larger than 4” spoons

Just checked the 5” box. 3 1/2 inch and rrf do not touch not even close. 4” just touch but not enough to cause a problem. Next box is gonna be a 5” box because I won’t go any larger than 4” spoons
If you only want spoons in the box the 5 inch is fine but I put both spoons and body baits in mine. That way I can carry as much of either as I need for any outing without multiple tackle boxes taking up room in the boat. Even the big lipped Rapala Tail Dancers, Live Target and Bandits etc. fit with ease. I guess it's just a matter of how much you want to carry and if you have the room. Regardless the Special Mate are the best I've ever used. :)

I would like to thank everyone in their impassioned efforts in this thread for creating thoughts in my mind about spending more money. :eek::oops::banghead:

Only problem is that I am pretty sure (LOL) I have more spoons than fits in one but not likely enough to fill two. :unsure:

I guess I might have to look at spoons again if I pull the trigger. 🤪

OK, so i measured a standard 3.5 inch spoon that has 2 split rings and a treble hook. i got 5 3/16- 5 1/4inch.
it can be 100% up to you if you like to pick up spoons every trip after after bumping it around.
I'd hate to give false information in regards to a hassle free setup when it comes to special mate boxes,
i suggest one size up for peace of mind ,
As other here have stated , 3.5 inch spoons will fit in a 5 inch box , but not without a headache of picking spoons up after they get knocked off , due a slight bump. i have 500 plus spoons for walleye, trout and salmon.
I too thought the 5 inch was good, then i talked to the charter guys and saw what they use down my way, ?? there is a reason most use the 8 inch box.
just trying to save you the hassle.
the 5 inch box is great for 2.5 inch spoons up to 3 inch with 2 split rings and a treble.

Never had a spoon pop out of place yet. Doesn’t matter if u have a 5” 8” or 100” box if a bait fits in the sleeve and the lids shut won’t go anywhere.

The two boxes shown in this thread. Are they body or spoon boxes. I see they list either or on the Pro Tackle site. Thanks in advance.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks