Sourdough Bread

TonyMo

Greetings,
So this past winter I thought I would try making sourdough bread. I thought you may be interested in my experiences and results.

1. First you need a starter. If you know someone with an active starter then you can ask for some of there's. You could follow instructions and start fresh. What I did was order dehydrated starter. I got it from Kensington Market Sourdough. https://kensingtonsourdough.ca/. They have instructions and it take about a week to get your starter "started".

2. Equipment: Although you can bake in a regular loaf pan, using a cast iron dutch oven works great!!!! I have a couple already that I got from Canadian Tire. Like everything at CT wait for a sale and it's a good deal. Paderno, Lagostina, Kitchen Aid etc will go on sale for like 70% off. These are the enamel coated ones but I have used non coated. Although it is NOT necessary, you can get a "banneton" or proofing basket if you want to make your loaves look fancy. Amazon.ca has lots of options.

3. Recipe. I spent time on internet/ youtube looking for instructions and a recipe. WOW! This can get real complicated and super serious....stretch/fold, autolyse, levan etc. There are "masterclasses" on youtube just for sourdough bread. Ain't nobody got time for that!
I found this guy's Youtube channel. Ben Starr - "Simple Sourdough for lazy people." GREAT!!!! I use his recipe and enjoy the results.

Anyway, here is a photo. If you are in the London/Strathroy area and want to try yourself I would be happy to share my starter with you.

Attachments

• Sourdough Bread.jpg
    Sourdough Bread.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That looks killa. I tried last year, got the starter nailed down but never quite got the end product where I wanted it. Well done

Oh man that looks awesome. Made me go and put a piece of my wife's home made bread in the toaster and butter it and spread some local honey
on it. Mmmm.
Thanks for the recipe.

Looks great i made a sourdough starter last year for a 2 week camping trip 1 week down here at billsels then me and my buddy packed and went stright to go home lake just stoped to load boat and 2end round of meats i made biscuts every morning from sratch in my cast iron on the coals it was awesome i even made a cake for my buddys birthday mid week in the ductch oven. Ghe sourdough is great for camping since it should stay warm to be active i learned it all from kent rollins on youtube

Attachments

• 20210718_133136_HDR.jpg
    20210718_133136_HDR.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210718_225346_HDR.jpg
    20210718_225346_HDR.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 2
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks