Something a little different for supper tonight

Trevor M

Potato Bacon Soup and Garlic Cheese Toast.

The soup.

Sliced 1lb of bacon, diced half a large red onion, 3 celery stalks finely diced, 2 bunches of green onion, diced 6 Potatoes, and 6 small chicken breasts diced.

Browned the bacon, (maple flavored) diced chicken and sweat the red onion and celery together in the pot. Drained most, (not all) of the bacon grease, left just enough to cover the bottom of the pot for added bacon flavor.

Boiled the diced potato separately until blanched, then drained and added them to the bacon, chicken and onion in the soup pot. (Do not boil potatoes until they're soft ie for mashed potato, or that's exactly what you'll end up with in the soup, mashed potato and you don't necessarily want that. You want the diced potato to maintain its texture.)

Once the potato was added in with the bacon, chicken and red onion, I added chicken soup stock to cover, then brought it to a boil, thickened with a standard roux, added 1L of table cream, brought it back to a boil, then reduced heat, added the diced green onion, real bacon bits to add even more bacon flavor, and some parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste, let it simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then removed from heat, served my wife and I a bowl each, topped with shredded cheese and parsley flakes.

For the garlic cheese toast, I just picked up a some french bread already cut and buttered with garlic butter, toasted it in the oven, added a premixed shredded mozza/cheddar blend until melted.

Attachments

• Potato Bacon Soup and Garlic Cheese Bread (1).jpg
    Potato Bacon Soup and Garlic Cheese Bread (1).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Potato Bacon Soup and Garlic Cheese Bread (2).jpg
    Potato Bacon Soup and Garlic Cheese Bread (2).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

The soup.

Sliced 1lb of bacon, diced half a large red onion, 2 bunches of green onion, diced 6 Potatoes, and 6 small chicken breasts diced.

Browned the bacon, (maple flavored) diced chicken and red onion together in the pot. Drained most, (not all) of the bacon grease, left just enough to cover the bottom of the pot for added bacon flavor.

Boiled the diced potato separately until blanched, then drained and added them to the bacon, chicken and onion in the soup pot. (Do not boil potatoes until they're soft ie for mashed potato, or that's exactly what you'll end up with in the soup, mashed potato and you don't necessarily want that. You want the diced potato to maintain its texture.)

Once the potato was added in with the bacon, chicken and red onion, I added chicken soup stock to cover, then brought it to a boil, thickened with a standard roux, added 1L of table cream, brought it back to a boil, then reduced heat, added the diced green onion, real bacon bits to add even more bacon flavor, and some parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste, let it simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then removed from heat, served my wife and I a bowl each, topped with shredded cheese and parsley flakes.

For the garlic cheese toast, I just picked up a some french bread already cut and buttered with garlic butter, toasted it in the oven, added a premixed shredded mozza/cheddar blend until melted.
OMG !!!!!

Sorry I forgot an ingredient earlier when I originally posted. Was full and a bit sleepy at the time of posting lol.

(Edited the post to include the 3 celery stalks finely diced.)

The soup.

Sliced 1lb of bacon, diced half a large red onion, 3 celery stalks finely diced, 2 bunches of green onion, diced 6 Potatoes, and 6 small chicken breasts diced.

Browned the bacon, (maple flavored) diced chicken and sweat the red onion and celery together in the pot. Drained most, (not all) of the bacon grease, left just enough to cover the bottom of the pot for added bacon flavor.

Here I thought 🤔 @Trevor M that you had forgotten a side dish of Port Bruce perch,🐟🐟 😲 😗 instead of the 3 diced celery stalks for that delicious 🤤 looking home made soup. lol 😆 😉 Enjoy the rest of that homemade soup 🥣 🥣 🤤 😉👍👍🙂

I was going to give you a hard time about "the chef" sharing recipes but holding back on the one subtle ingredient that takes a recipe from average to amazing.

Way to go @Trevor M , fix the recipe before I can pull it off. LOL

Homemade soup, the best. 😋 😁😂 🌻

Here I thought 🤔 @Trevor M that you had forgotten a side dish of Port Bruce perch,🐟🐟 😲 😗 instead of the 3 diced celery stalks for that delicious 🤤 looking home made soup. lol 😆 😉 Enjoy the rest of that homemade soup 🥣 🥣 🤤 😉👍👍🙂
No, I don't often make fish chowders of any kind as my wife still refuses to "admit" that she likes the fish I "force" her to try periodically when I have it. She has this hang up about fish. Has told me from day 1 she doesn't like it, but then when she's "relented" and "humored" me by trying a bite I've offered her, (she still refuses more than she doesn't, oh well, more for me right lol) the look on her face says, "OHHHHH, this is pretty good," but then she says when asked, "I'll NEVER admit it."

never mind on the side, chuck it into the soup and have a great fish chowder.....mmmmmmmm
No, my chowders are a completely different recipe and flavor. I'll share it one of these days. (I use a different stock and seasonings for my clam/fish chowders) but I don't often make them since I know who my main customer is, and for the reason I mentioned above to Red, no point in making something I know she won't eat.

(not so secret....secret. :LOL: I prefer to make my own stocks instead of using store bought powdered stock or stock cubes. ;) IF I'm going to do a clam/fish chowder, my stock will be made using the shells from shrimp when I've had some, AND/OR the carcass{es} of fish I've cleaned less the guts after a successful day on the pier or out in the boat with @tailfeathers or others who may have taken me out. Makes a FAR better chowder, and IF I make a clam chowder, I also DO NOT drain the clams, I empty the can of clams, fluid and all, into the pot. Adds that much more flavor.)

Last edited:
Hey Red, I gave you my address last year, IF you want some before we eat it all, COME GET IT, just make sure you bring something for me to put it in since I seem to have misplaced all my spare containers that I used to have. :ROFLMAO:

Hey Red, I gave you my address last year, IF you want some before we eat it all, COME GET IT, just make sure you bring something for me to put it in since I seem to have misplaced all my spare containers that I used to have. :ROFLMAO:
Now,that’s very tempting @Trevor M 🥣 🤤 and thanks 🙏 so much. 👊👊 Unfortunately,my wife thinks I need to loose some weight,😱 and that sucks!! 👎😒 So therefore,maybe around the Springtime,if you have any sort of other leftovers over then,please let me know!! 😋🤤. I will take any leftovers!! 🥣 🦃 🐓 🍔 🍟 etc. 😉👍🙂 Fish,( walleye’s ),that I just caught recently on the thames river this month,I have enough of for now,till the next time when I go thames river walleye fishing again. 🐟🐟🤤 We will keep in touch,and thanks 😊 again,for your generous offer. 👊👊👍🙂

Attachments

• 155A3BAC-4330-4FA7-B026-E61AA0C3D06A.jpeg
    155A3BAC-4330-4FA7-B026-E61AA0C3D06A.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 15C4BC5C-7C2C-44DD-878D-561BE5CAAE9C.jpeg
    15C4BC5C-7C2C-44DD-878D-561BE5CAAE9C.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Now,that’s very tempting @Trevor M 🥣 🤤 and thanks 🙏 so much. 👊👊 Unfortunately,my wife thinks I need to loose some weight,😱 and that sucks!! 👎😒 So therefore,maybe around the Springtime,if you have any sort of other leftovers over then,please let me know!! 😋🤤. I will take any leftovers!! 🥣 🦃 🐓 🍔 🍟 etc. 😉👍🙂 Fish,( walleye’s ),that I just caught recently on the thames river this month,I have enough of for now,till the next time when I go thames river walleye fishing again. 🐟🐟🤤 We will keep in touch,and thanks 😊 again,for your generous offer. 👊👊👍🙂
I'll be getting into my freezer in the not to distant future and start working on emptying out the seafood section like I do every year around this time so that come mid April, or early May when I decide to come out of hibernation, I'm not at all concerned about limits because by the time I come out of hibernation, that seafood section is empty and I'm more than ready to try to fill it again through "fishin" season since "hockey season" is pretty much done, especially if the Leafs live up to their long standing policy of consistently disappointing their fan base like they do EVERY year, especially when they make the playoffs and then blow big leads in games that IF they could win, would put them in the next round, and instead because they can't seem to win those games, and they blow those game and series leads, they find themselves on the golf course about the same time I find myself on the pier. Funny how that works ain't it. :ROFLMAO:

I'll be getting into my freezer in the not to distant future and start working on emptying out the seafood section like I do every year around this time so that come mid April, or early May when I decide to come out of hibernation, I'm not at all concerned about limits because by the time I come out of hibernation, that seafood section is empty and I'm more than ready to try to fill it again through "fishin" season since "hockey season" is pretty much done, especially if the Leafs live up to their long standing policy of consistently disappointing their fan base like they do EVERY year, especially when they make the playoffs and then blow big leads in games that IF they could win, would put them in the next round, and instead because they can't seem to win those games, and they blow those game and series leads, they find themselves on the golf course about the same time I find myself on the pier. Funny how that works ain't it. :ROFLMAO:
Fishing off the pier @Trevor M sounds like more fun,then watching the Leafs playoff game’s. any day. 😂🤣😉 Plus,you will be rewarded that day,by bringing some perch home that you had caught,either for your supper,or to put into your freezer for later perch meal’s. Actually,the Leafs aren’t playing too bad this year @Trevor M and the pier fishing could be a little later for you this year,but I understand on what you are saying. 🎣🐟🐟🐟😋😉👍🙂

Last edited:
when we make chowder we never add the fish if it is going in the freezer. We will warm the soup up and the fold in cooked fish gently so it does not become over cooked or fall apart. Maybe that could be a solution for your better half, just put the fish in your bowl.

when we make chowder we never add the fish if it is going in the freezer. We will warm the soup up and the fold in cooked fish gently so it does not become over cooked or fall apart. Maybe that could be a solution for your better half, just put the fish in your bowl.
Nope, she's convinced herself since she was a little girl that "fish........is yucky." Apparently her sister played a trick on her once with shrimp and her dad has never liked fish either, so that might have something to do with it. It's like pulling teeth just to get her to try a bite of fish when I make it no matter how I've prepared it, and of course, having been a chef professionally for 12 of 15 years I worked in restaurants, I know a few "tricks" but so far, at least when it comes to fish and seafood in general, although once in a very rare while she will take a bite I offer her, and the look on her face says "this ain't so bad," she still maintains that she'll NEVER admit she liked it. But, there is hope. She used to think the same about Chinese food and over the years, slowly but surely, I've been able to get her to eat certain Chinese food dishes she "thought" she didn't like.

when we make chowder we never add the fish if it is going in the freezer.
I never freeze a chowder when I make it, in fact I rarely freeze any of the soups I might make at any given time simply because, it ain't gonna last long enough to warrant putting any in the freezer. When I make soup it's generally gone within a couple days, (or sooner) either we've eaten it all, or I've shared with the neighbor as well. ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks