SMOKERS: LOOKING FOR REASONABLY PRICED SOURCE OF FARM RAISED TROUT FILLETS!

Get Hooked

If your looking for a source of reasonably priced farm raised Rainbow Trout to do in your Smoker, Cole-Munro in St. Thomas on Edward St. have what they call B Grade Trout Fillets which are usually more pale in color for $30 for a 10lb Box. As they are not always in Stock, before you make a trip to Cole-Munro please call Brianna Bond at 519-637-6396 to check availability. Business Hours: 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday.

NOTE: Also A Grade Trout Fillets available in 10lb boxes which is the same quality that you would get in a grocery store.

https://www.villagerpublications.com/port-stanley-villager-jan-feb-2020

Check out the great article on Cole-Munro on Pages 4 &5, Port Connection to Successful Trout Farming Operation. Going from losing a years Income in 1996 when they sold an Order of 4000lbs of fish to a 100year old Fish Company in Chicago on a Monday and on Wednesday that Company closed their doors and now Cole-Munro Foods is a $40million operation with more plans for expansion.

I know one local trout farm I have permission to fish a spring fed creek that goes through his property...he raises his trout in ponds and feeds the trout with automatic feeders induced pellets to color the flesh to orange..

Last edited:
I know one local trout farm I have permission to fish a spring fed creek that goes through his property...he raises his trout in ponds and feeds the trout with automatic feeders filled with dyed induced liver pellets to color the flesh to orange...
It's not actually dyed but beta carotene enhanced trout pellets. Used to love working Goosens Trout Farm, hand feeding the ponds before the auto feeders came out. Hell, a handful of gravel would make the water boil, but only once. Then they would really inspect their food before feeding on pebbles again.

Back when I was a kid my dad and Glen Davis would stock Glen's pond with Rene's fish. If creek fishing was tough we'd end our day fly-fishing Glen's pond with a pellet on a #14 hook. Those fish got selective really quick after a few got hooked on a dropping pellet. They would only eat the floaters. Even that small of a hook on 4lbs leader was enough to slowly sink those floating pellets. Summertime, the first El Camino would reek from the 10 lbs pellets behind the seat. Awe, I miss those days.

I know one local trout farm I have permission to fish a spring fed creek that goes through his property...he raises his trout in ponds and feeds the trout with automatic feeders filled with dyed induced liver pellets to color the flesh to orange...
Farm Raised Trout are no longer fed "liver pellets" . They were fed liver pellets 40 years ago. The liver pellets were fed when they were no commercial diets available.
For information on aquaculture feeds google , Corey Aquaculture Feeds, Blue Water aquaculture feed , Skretting ,.....
Nice Article on Cole Munro
Fresh trout is also available on a farm at Otterville

ok you win.. they were not fed pellets..lol
Ya I never ate the trout at the farm i fished..and i was offered plenty..not a fan of eating trout..only a few & there up north

and for catchin trout...oh my..farm raised and great for resident trout bows & browns and a few specs & steelhead.. its trout fishing heaven spring fed..and to see the farmers change hands twice from Hungarian to dutch and still have permission today..

i feed my spring resident trout cut up chunks of skein
a dew worm
and when i have.. a big slightly salted emerald shiner..big trout cant resist..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks