Smoker questions?

rmsteve

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Being new to this and after watching too many videos I have a few questions.

Do any of you guys ever cut the brisket and freeze one piece for later doing the flat and point in separate cooks and if so does this shorten the cooking time?

Where do you buy your butcher paper and is 18" the standard width or do you prefer something else?

How long do you do the towel cooler 2-3hrs ?

They sure are a big friggin' piece of meat :)

IMG_20230423_173550.jpg

@rmsteve , people were lined up for hours to eat Aaron Franklin's brisket in Austin, so I figure he must know what he's doing. He cooks the brisket intact. We have separated the point and cooked it for burnt ends, but I think the next one I do will be trimmed and seasoned as shown in this video.

Answers to your questions....

1.) No, always planned a complete (whole) cook for many people.

2.) Wholesale Club roll of 15 or 18. 18 is better IMHO

3.) I always hope for numerous hours, sometimes don't get it. Keep meat temp over 140* . If you can't, into low temp oven or slice it and serve it.

4.) Yes it is a big chunk of flesh. 🌻

Great video. He trimmed that sucker waaaay more than I would have. May have to change my technique.
And used waaaay less rub than I would have.

Again, great video....learned something.

Good video, he sure had a lot of briskets in his fridge.

Great video. He trimmed that sucker waaaay more than I would have. May have to change my technique.
And used waaaay less rub than I would have.

Again, great video....learned something.

Rounding off the corners and as close to equal thickness along/across the brisket allows for an equal cook throughout. (hopefully)

His trimmings likely go into sausage so he likely isn't losing much other than the hard deckle fat.

At $34 / lb served US, it has to be good. 🌻

Great video for sure. I've watched it a few times now trying to remember everything that he does in trimming. Maybe have to keep it on standby when I actually trim this thing. Thanks!

I looked at those types first @stomp , but none of them were angled. I needed to have the direction to be away from the leg, not a little further back the same direction as the chute. 🌻

Freeze some for later? Ha! Good luck with that. You’ll learn very quickly that you can never smoke too much brisket. Between friends, family and coworkers we now keep all smokes on the down low as everyone is like vultures literally begging sometimes.

Play it smart…give people a few free samples to get them hooked and you can get them to buy meat….

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks