Smoked Wild Turkey?

Surfnturf

I usually deep fry or roast my wild turkey but thought I might try doing it on the smoker. Just afraid it might be too lean and dry out. Has anyone had experience smoking one?

I smoked it before
It’s really good, make sure to keep topping up the water dish and don’t over “cook” it

I was looking for the recipe that I used but I can’t seem to find it

I made a brine with honey, water, soya sauce, lime juice, garlic, chili powder,
Maybe this or that as well

but I thought the sweetness of the honey made it very delightful.

Last edited:
Just afraid it might be too lean and dry out.

I don't have a smoker but I can offer this.

A little not so secret culinary trade secret.......there's a reason Filet Mignon as an example has a strip or two of bacon wrapped around it. It's not for the cosmetic appeal, it's to keep the juices of the very lean cut of beef in... not to mention it adds a little bit more flavor. Something to consider if you're worried about lean meats drying out during the cooking process. :)

I do all of my wild turkey in the smoker now. I use a brine that consists of...

water
maple syrup
pickling salt
pickling spice in cheese cloth
apple juice
white and brown sugar

let sit in fridge for at least 12 hours and rinse before putting in smoker.

Smoke can be just as important as the brine, I always use apple mixed with alder wood. I use a Bradley smoker and set temp at 275F. Key is not to cook to fast but make sure breast are fully cooked. Once cooked I cut breasts into portions that I would use at one time and vacuum seal.
Cut thin and serve with crackers and cheese.

Here is how we serve our homemade treats, smoked salmon, smoked turkey, smoked canned salmon mixed with wasabi and put on crackers with capers, goose summer sausage. Home made charcuterie board to boot.

Attachments

• Meat tray.jpg
    Meat tray.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 31
I do all of my wild turkey in the smoker now. I use a brine that consists of...

water
maple syrup
pickling salt
pickling spice in cheese cloth
apple juice
white and brown sugar

let sit in fridge for at least 12 hours and rinse before putting in smoker.

Smoke can be just as important as the brine, I always use apple mixed with alder wood. I use a Bradley smoker and set temp at 275F. Key is not to cook to fast but make sure breast are fully cooked. Once cooked I cut breasts into portions that I would use at one time and vacuum seal.
Cut thin and serve with crackers and cheese.

Here is how we serve our homemade treats, smoked salmon, smoked turkey, smoked canned salmon mixed with wasabi and put on crackers with capers, goose summer sausage. Home made charcuterie board to boot.
Nice idea to include capers on a charcuterie board! I usually stick to olives/pickles... but will add capers next time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks