Smoked salmon suggestions?

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Any idea how I can turn this:
B4E1C9CD-EDD3-4AAB-A5A5-8A4D5D738E2E.jpeg

Into this?:
9076595E-6F78-46A7-959E-88814902496F.jpeg

I did used fresh fish but I believe you can use frozen/thawed to get same result, brine once thawed.
I haven't tried it that way, I usually brine the whole filet with skin on or 24 - 36 hours, then soak with fresh water. I boil the water, add the seasonings, drop in a few cubes and let it chill, then add the filets. Soak meat face down in the water with 2 cloves and a bayleaf for an hour. Remove, pat dry, wait 12 - 24 hours covered with saran wrap in the fridge to form a nice patina, then smoke. But it can't hurt to try freezing first. I cold smoke mine between1 and 2 hours with the breather opened full. It gives a gentle smoke flavourful very similar to the store bought but, if I do say so myself (and most who try it) better. If you like a little sweetness, brush with maple syrup before smoking.

Hey @Wildfire,

If you saw my earlier post, here is how you do it.

2:1 dry brine of brown sugar and costco pink ground salt, cover with this mix a fillet of salmon in a ziplock, take as much air as possible from the ziplock, then marinate for 4-6 days depending on how big is the fish.

After that, dry it with paper towels and further with a fan for about 12-24 hours. Then put it on a smoker, which is basically a vertical closet having on its bottom a maze-style pellets container and I put just enough pellets for 2-3 hours of smoke then let the fish stay overnight to aerate it.

Then... Well... it goes like this!

Enjoy
V

1652797770240.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks