Off Topic Smoked rainbow

Looks Great . Can You tell me what the smoker racks are made of or were You got them. They look to be ideal for the job.
Thanks

yes , its a Bradly smoker with extra racks I bought .
I have 4 shelves in the smoker so I just flip over 4 racks and put fish on them and put them on the other rack
I get to double up the amount I can put in my smoker that way

super easy , start this in the morning....
the mixture is 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt , mix together
in larger bowl spread out fish evenly then sprinkle sugar/salt mixture to cover , add another layer of fish and then more sugar/salt mixture , repeat until you run out of fish
let stand for a couple hours then give it a good stir , do that one more time then let it sit until the next morning
remove the fish from the mixture and rinse lightly under cold water (you will notice a difference in the fish texture already) spread evenly on racks to go in your smoker
smoke for 1 hour then baste the fish with maple syrup , repeat basting with maple syrup every hour until done

good luck

for wood chips I use apple pucks , I find it down't matter much after you baste it with syrup .. LOL
I smoke for roughly 2 hours but keep it in the smoker with the heat on for 3 - 4 more hours
total 6 hours (depending on your fish thickness)

works good for salmon too
skin off
I like it cut in chunks but could be done in larger pieces too

super easy , start this in the morning....
the mixture is 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt , mix together
in larger bowl spread out fish evenly then sprinkle sugar/salt mixture to cover , add another layer of fish and then more sugar/salt mixture , repeat until you run out of fish
let stand for a couple hours then give it a good stir , do that one more time then let it sit until the next morning
remove the fish from the mixture and rinse lightly under cold water (you will notice a difference in the fish texture already) spread evenly on racks to go in your smoker
smoke for 1 hour then baste the fish with maple syrup , repeat basting with maple syrup every hour until done

good luck

I've used maple syrup with bacon but haven't tried it on trout. So you don't air dry them first before smoking? I've done a fair amount of trout fillets (10lbs last weekend) and I've always air dried them first but maybe I can skip that step. I've also never tried cutting them up, thanks for the suggestion. TC

I've used maple syrup with bacon but haven't tried it on trout. So you don't air dry them first before smoking? I've done a fair amount of trout fillets (10lbs last weekend) and I've always air dried them first but maybe I can skip that step. I've also never tried cutting them up, thanks for the suggestion. TC

Air drying the fish allows the pellicle to form which is an important part of the process for quality smoked fish. The pellicle seals the meat which prevents that white unappealing stuff from forming on the fish and seals in moisture making the fish for tender. It also allows the smoke to stick better which results in better flavour and appearance.

You’re smoked fish isn’t reaching its full potential if you’re skipping this step.

Some good info here , I plan on purchasing a smoker in the spring . How long is best for air drying the fillets ?

Some good info here , I plan on purchasing a smoker in the spring . How long is best for air drying the fillets ?
I put them on a rack and put a fan on them . It takes about 2-3 hrs for them to dry enough for me. When I'm done they are just dry, they don't really have a crust. You can experiment to find out how dry is enough for you. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks