Simcoe perchin

ch312

here's a report for those who may be heading that way to get their perch fix...

started off at virginia beach before daylight and found the ice along shore is good to go for parking on. tried a few different spots in the area with only a few jumbo's seen and maybe 5 keepers caught.

headed over to between duclos point and the island where i caught nothing in 45 minutes.

then i was off to port bolster where i found a ton of fish about 100 yards north of the crowd, but almost all of the big ones were very skittish and stayed a few feet away from my offerings. why, i do not know. managed about 10 keepers that were 10"+ with twice that many dinks in the mix.

then it was over to the brown huts towards maple beach (i think?). jackpot. another 15-20 10"+ fish in a couple hours with many dinks. fish were much more willing to bite in this area.

ended the day in no mans land somewhere between thorah and georgina islands in 30 FOW. i topped up to my limit with all of the biggest fish of the day (12-13") coming from this spot with very few dinks in the mix. i had a few good laughs thanks to the 2 characters having a good time maybe 100-150 yards away. hopefully they're reading this and will speak up. cursing, swearing, joking around, and then all the sudden in a very serious voice i hear "alpha one to alpha base, come in. alpha base, come in." i almost busted a gut laughing so hard Grin Grin Grin

by far the best lures of the day were a 2" swedish pimple and a 2" perch pattern buckshot spoon with a minnow tipped hook on a dropper chain. another unconventional method brought up a bunch of fish as well and consisted of a 1" black rubber nymph on a plain hook with a split shot 16" up the line. they really seemed to like the slow fall and erratic action...

i somehow deleted the on ice pics, but here's a couple from after i got home.

with the electric fillet knife it only takes a minute per fish to get perfect looking fillets with very little waste and about 40 seconds if i hurry. i highly recommend buying one if you're a perch hunter ;)

Pictureskels098.jpg

Pictureskels099.jpg

Way to go,at least now you know where not to fish,and you'll save gas driving all over the place and just concentrate on the high percentage spots....I'll remember to take my U/W camera to try and screen out the dinks....looks like a nice meal there.

between my new lowrance x67 ice machine and the super clear water of simcoe, my aqua vu didnt leave the case. i was sight fishing in 23 fow and at 30 fow the bottom was just out of view.

word is many people are having near non stop action in cooks bay now for those that dont want to drive to the east side of the lake.

next trip will hopefully result in my first laker and/or whitie...

Very nice catch.....& about the knife,,I got 1 this year & it works like a charm,,,,,, cleaning is now a pretty easy job....Thanks 4 the report...

If Cans r flyin,they will b dyin...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks