Sheepshead or fresh water drum

morgan

Everyone gets excited when they hook onto one [ hard fighting ] and always disappointed when you realize it’s not the big smallmouth you thought you caught . I like most guys have always thrown them back assuming that they are garbage fish . I have read some articles that claim they are good eating if prepared right . Anyone actually tried one ?

Fresh water drum - "sheepshead" are for sale in Asian fish markets in the GTA
A co worker of mine, Randy Hosack, (RIP) said he cut up strips and boiled in ginger ale, ate with seafood sauce and it tasted like shrimp.
I still throw them back 😉😅

I throw'em back. They're fun to catch if that's all you're catching on any given day. (means you didn't get skunked right, a fish is a fish, even if it's not what you're after) but I've never tried one.

I know that there are a few who come to the pier who will periodically take them and then make fish cakes out of them but they say that's all they'd do with them.

@Trevor M i guess it’s possible I have eaten it because I have had some fish paddies from some in-laws that couldn’t tell what type of fish was in it, and other times I didn’t ask because they are so darn good with rice mmmmm fish paddies

@Trevor M i guess it’s possible I have eaten it because I have had some fish paddies from some in-laws that couldn’t tell what type of fish was in it, and other times I didn’t ask because they are so darn good with rice mmmmm fish paddies
that's the funny thing about fish cakes. When I do them, which is rare because I just can't be bothered to take the time, or make the mess, I will usually use multiple different species to make them. (usually the last little bit of perch or walleye I might have in the freezer just before I come out of hibernation) I just throw the pieces I intend to make into fish cakes into the food processor and let it do the work then I do what I do to make them into cakes/patties, then cook'em.

I have fished the bay for 65 years , never considered eating one . Don,t want to spoil my record so I will still do live release . But they still are one hard fighting fish !

I have fished the bay for 65 years , never considered eating one . Don,t want to spoil my record so I will still do live release . But they still are one hard fighting fish !
Yeah me too. I'll throw'em back. Fun to catch, but can't bring myself to eat one.

Check out Thundermist Lures on YouTube. Ivo has a really good lesson on preparing and cooking sheepshead. TC

They live in the same water as Bass and eat the same stuff , hit the same lures and bait. But if they are good smoked that tells me they are oily.

They sell smoked sheepshead in Burwell at the fish house . Its probably one of the best smoked fish i have tried.
I agree with gforce. My father in law smokes it and it is excellent.

I have..a small one. The flesh was white and flaky and when coated and dropped in the deep fryer you would be hard pressed to tell the diff from a piece of Erie walleye..maybe a bit fishier. You have to get all the red fatty part off the fillets..you dont get a lot of meat off a smaller fish. I don't think Id want to eat a bigger one.

Everyone gets excited when they hook onto one [ hard fighting ] and always disappointed when you realize it’s not the big smallmouth you thought you caught . I like most guys have always thrown them back assuming that they are garbage fish . I have read some articles that claim they are good eating if prepared right . Anyone actually tried one ?
Don't give up on the perch yet you will find them

We took a buddies cousin out Pickerel fishing and he was bound and determined to keep a large Sheepshead he caught. He was sure he was going to prove us wrong. He later said it tasted like"Shyte" Many moons ago I caught one by the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie and an old guy from Buffalo came over and asked me if he could have it. He said he boils them and dips in butter, said it tasted just like lobster. One man's food is another's poison I guess?

In the Thundermist video they cut them in very small strips and fry them. They coat them with paprika but I'n sure if they do it before or after frying. Claim they taste like shrimp. TC

@trky chsr paprika has a pretty strong flavour that should hide the sh** fish taste lol 😉
I’d try it just not going to be the guy that keeps the sheepshead cleans and cooks it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks