She wanted egg salad

Trevor M

My wife decided all she wanted for supper tonight was egg salad sandwich's. :vomit: I'll make'em, but you can't pay me to eat'em, so that's what she got, but it left me undecided on what I wanted. (well not really but I don't get paid until Thursday so I can't get what I wanted to have for supper tonight until at least then and no I won't be cooking it ;))

Ended up with this.

Honey garlic prawns and rice.

Rice has diced onion, celery, carrot, and bacon. Topped it with plum sauce.

Didn't have a premade honey garlic sauce to use, so I did my own. Pretty simple to do, dark soya sauce, a handful of sugar, fresh garlic minced (or if you don't have like me tonight, garlic powder will do the job too) and some honey. (for an extra added kick I also used a little cajun seasoning when I cooked the prawns) Let it reduce until it glazes whatever it is you're cooking, stirring frequently so 1) it doesn't burn, and 2) everything gets glazed evenly. (or in my case to save myself the hassle of having to wash that one extra utensil I don't need, I just tossed it in the pan)

Attachments

• 0125221910-00.jpg
    0125221910-00.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My wife decided all she wanted for supper tonight was egg salad sandwich's. :vomit: I'll make'em, but you can't pay me to eat'em, so that's what she got, but it left me undecided on what I wanted. (well not really but I don't get paid until Thursday so I can't get what I wanted to have for supper tonight until at least then and no I won't be cooking it ;))

Ended up with this.

Didn't have a premade honey garlic sauce to use, so I did my own. Pretty simple to do, dark soya sauce, a handful of sugar, fresh garlic minced (or if you don't have like me tonight, garlic powder will do the job too) and some honey. (for an extra added kick I also used a little cajun seasoning when I cooked the prawns) Let it reduce until it glazes whatever it is you're cooking, stirring frequently so 1) it doesn't burn, and 2) everything gets glazed evenly. (or in my case to save myself the hassle of having to wash that one extra utensil I don't need, I just tossed it in the pan)
@Trevor M I made egg salad sandwiches today for my lunch with a bowl of soup.But I would prefer to eat your good looking meal 😋, over my egg salad sandwiches 😒 any day my friend!! I wrote your recipe down for me to try later. 😉😋👍🙂

Last edited:
Still would have like to seen a picture of the egg salad!
I'll tell ya what. Since I didn't take a picture of the sandwich, I'll let ya use yer imagination by giving you the process by which I made the damn egg salad :wacky:

• get yerself 2 pieces of bread, toasted. (depending of course on how many sandwich's you intend to have)
  • take 2 hard boiled eggs, (in this case I used 2) and a fork, then take the fork and mash the damn things in a bowl.
  • then get the mayo outta the fridge, and a tablespoon outta the cutlery drawer and get one heaping tablespoon of the mayo outta the jar and put it in the beat up hard boiled eggs in the bowl. Add a little quick shot of lemon juice, (just a little mind you)
  • then cut yerself some green onion (I used two) and put that into the mix along with the beat up egg, mayo and lemon juice.
  • then add salt and pepper, and a pinch of paprika and mix it all together. ( you can wait to add the salt and pepper until you put the sandwich together if you want)
  • Take a piece of the toasted bread, put it on the counter, take a fork and scoop some of the beat up egg, mayo, green onion lemon juice etc out of that bowl, and put it on that piece of bread, lightly squish it down to determine if ya need a little more or not, then throw a leaf of lettuce and maybe a slice of cheese on top of that, then grab another piece of the toasted bread to close the sandwich. (my wife didn't want the cheese or the lettuce.)

I'll tell ya what. Since I didn't take a picture of the sandwich, I'll let ya use yer imagination by giving you the process by which I made the damn egg salad :wacky:

• get yerself 2 pieces of bread, toasted. (depending of course on how many sandwich's you intend to have)
  • take 2 hard boiled eggs, (in this case I used 2) and a fork, then take the fork and mash the damn things in a bowl.
  • then get the mayo outta the fridge, and a tablespoon outta the cutlery drawer and get one heaping tablespoon of the mayo outta the jar and put it in the beat up hard boiled eggs in the bowl. Add a little quick shot of lemon juice, (just a little mind you)
  • then cut yerself some green onion (I used two) and put that into the mix along with the beat up egg, mayo and lemon juice.
  • then add salt and pepper, and a pinch of paprika and mix it all together. ( you can wait to add the salt and pepper until you put the sandwich together if you want)
  • Take a piece of the toasted bread, put it on the counter, take a fork and scoop some of the beat up egg, mayo, green onion lemon juice etc out of that bowl, and put it on that piece of bread, lightly squish it down to determine if ya need a little more or not, then throw a leaf of lettuce and maybe a slice of cheese on top of that, then grab another piece of the toasted bread to close the sandwich. (my wife didn't want the cheese or the lettuce.)
Now all that said, you're also in luck because I hadn't made her lunch for tomorrow yet. So I was able to take pictures of the step by step process listed above :ROFLMAO:. But you'll also notice, for her lunch I put it into wraps, and she does like the lettuce and cheese in the wraps. I also included pictures of the sliced cheese (brick not processed) that she likes in her lunch as well as the fruit I send with her, in this case, it's blueberries, raspberries, and honeydew melon that I had used my melon baller to prepare (hence the little balls of melon) This is 4 hard boiled eggs I had remaining, ( I have a little left over for her lunch Thursday as well unless she wants it tomorrow night) so I used 3 tablespoons of mayo and 4 green onions this time. That's the paprika in the one picture, and pepper in the other, having made this so many times both when I was a chef, and since, I don't bother to wait until I put it together, I KNOW how much of each of the salt, pepper, lemon juice etc to use each time. I still won't eat it tho, egg salad, although I did eat it as a kid, has never been high on my list of "gotta eat that" menu items. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 0125222206-00.jpg
    0125222206-00.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 0125222208-00.jpg
    0125222208-00.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0125222209-00.jpg
    0125222209-00.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 0125222210-00.jpg
    0125222210-00.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 0125222210-01.jpg
    0125222210-01.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0125222212-00.jpg
    0125222212-00.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 0125222217-00.jpg
    0125222217-00.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0125222220-00.jpg
    0125222220-00.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 9
  • 0125222221-00.jpg
    0125222221-00.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
Trevor ... your talents are being wasted.
Thanks, but no they're not. I have not made anything I would consider to be "fancy" or "fine dining" and posted it here because I know that if I did, it wouldn't get eaten at home, so there's no point to go that route. Knowing who you're feeding is just as important as having the skill and the knowledge to get more "fancy" if necessary or for some unknown reason, I wanted too. To me everything I've posted or made has been "basic," sometimes overly "basic."

That said, I used to cook for my friends (both male and female) who were trying to impress someone, and back then, the fee was they bought all the necessary ingredients, I got a plate for me, a case of beer, and $20-$50, but if they wanted something that would be considered more towards "fine dining" and required more time and work to prepare, the fee could get as high as $100, depending on what they wanted. It always made me laugh, I'd eat and then leave out the back door just before their guest arrived, never being seen by those they were trying to impress, and then they'd see me the next day and tell me they blew it because they couldn't explain how they'd made the meal. One of those friends decided after years of striking out that he should maybe learn how to cook and he actually became a chef himself a couple years before I moved back here, and suddenly the young lady he was attempting to impress the last time he had me cook for him, he was FINALLY able to impress her and they've been together for almost 15 years now, and he did confess that he hadn't been the one to cook the meals they had when they first got together because she thanked me for making him look good. (I still think he's ugly as sin, but he is one of my best friends and has been for 36 years. :ROFLMAO: )

My wife very much appreciates that she doesn't have to do any cooking. (if she cooks, that means we're having take out and I'm ok with that because it gives me a day off right.) I've offered to teach her but her response has always been, "why would I want to do anything in the kitchen, especially cook when I have YOU." Can't argue the logic.;):ROFLMAO:

When I left the kitchens for driving truck (where I made 5x what I was in the kitchens) I used to think that if driving truck didn't pan out for me, I could always go back into the kitchens. Then life stepped in and I got hurt and developed some painful chronic conditions that I'll have and deal with for the rest of my life. That changed things, a lot and I've had to adapt a lot because many of the things I once could do, I no longer can.

• N

Next time I make egg salad, I'm going to add that shot of lemon juice - haven't done that before... thanks!

That's funny, cooking meals for someone who then trys to claim ownership.

Always ends badly. LOL

Having true culinary skills is something I'd like to have because I have to think and research through the process. To have an imbedded database and have it all happen automatically would be nice.

That's funny, cooking meals for someone who then trys to claim ownership.

Always ends badly. LOL
I TRIED to tell them that, but do ya think they'd listen? But hey, I can't complain about the misfortunes of their love lives. I didn't have to buy the ingredients. I got a free meal, a case of beer, and some pocket money out of it and then the entertainment of listening to them whining about how great the evening was going UNTIL........"That was delicious. How'd you make it?" came up in the conversation.:ROFLMAO:

Having true culinary skills is something I'd like to have because I have to think and research through the process. To have an imbedded database and have it all happen automatically would be nice.
I think you're selling yourself short HH. From what I've seen you have some skills in the kitchen. We all have some skill in that area. Sometimes I have to do the same thing. Think about it. Research it. Sometimes I do it on purpose. Sometimes I look up new recipes online just to try them, tweak them if I liked them, forget them if I didn't.

Sometimes knowing as much as I do in the kitchen because of what I used to do for a living is bad thing. Can't make up my mind what I want to make, let alone what I feel like making.

The knife skills, like most other things in the kitchen, well, those come with time and lots and lots of repetition, a few stitches here and there, and a lot of bandages:ROFLMAO: ( :unsure: although its been over 30 years since I last cut myself cooking)

Unlike baking where you must be incredibly precise in your measurements and processes, cooking, especially where seasonings and spices are concerned is very much a game of experimentation provided you remember the golden rule, you can always add, but you can't take it out once it's in there.

My problem is knowing what ingredients will go together and end up tasting really good when I open the pantry and look into it. (insert blank stare here)

Pre made is pretty much how it goes down. LOL

My problem is knowing what ingredients will go together and end up tasting really good when I open the pantry and look into it. (insert blank stare here)

Pre made is pretty much how it goes down. LOL
I have a somewhat similar problem but slightly different in so much as I look into the pantry, the fridge, the freezer looking for something to cook, and then have to determine 1) will she eat it if I cook it? If not, keep looking. 2) Do I want to cook it? If not, keep looking. 3) Do I want to cook at all today or convince her that it's her turn and we can have take out instead?

IE I asked her before I dropped her off this morning, like I always do, whether she had any ideas of what she might want for supper tonight. I got the usual, "no not really." Yesterday, I couldn't make up my mind what I felt like cooking, so I went super simple and opened up a can of chunky chicken noodle soup, and made grilled cheese sandwiches. Today, I've got ribs thawing, and by noon they'll be marinating, and I'll put them in about an hour before I have to go pick her up, and they'll be ready when we get home. What to have with those ribs, still scratching my head on that one.

Ended up with this.

I eat that all the time and all along I thought it was rice and shrimp. Who would have known it’s a fancy gourmet spread?

I eat that all the time and all along I thought it was rice and shrimp. Who would have known it’s a fancy gourmet spread?
As I said in response to another responder, I haven't posted pictures of anything I'd consider to be "fancy" or "gourmet." I could, but my wife wouldn't eat it, so I don't waste my time. What I've posted pictures of I consider to be "basic," but then again, what I consider "basic" could be seen to be "fancy, or gourmet" by others I suppose. Kind of like when you go to a second hand shop or a garage sale. What some people consider trash, someone else might find to be a treasure right.;)

If I may join you folks for supper...(bringing my wifes egg salad sandwiches) m;mm... The're made with kraft miricle whip with olive oil for better taste and diced onion and seasoned salt. Then a light sprinke of red paprika peper on a rye bread. Huron. Submitted with respect that taste is all on the tongue of the beholder. Enjoy, Huron.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks