Sausage/Pepperettes

dawson29

Morning everyone. Looking for recommendations as to where I could bring some meat for processing.

Evelyn’s in Shedden is an option. I’ve been happy with their products in the past.

Not sure where your located,,,,
I go out of my way,, hamilton to chatham, to get my game processed into pepperettes at Roesch Meats, in Kent bridge.
Around $5 lb, they supply the pork, pricey but sooo good..
You wouldn’t have a picture of them would you? I’ve dealt with Atwood, Highgate, Vanessa Meats, Evelyns, and a guy in Jarvis. Each have their own great flavours. I definitely want to try something new.

Our group had our venison processed into sausage and pepperettes at Highgates meats last year,its the best weve had in years. Would highly recommend them.

I’ve had them too. Excellent recipe. Shelf stability in pepperettes is key for me if I’m going to be packing them in my pockets whether fishing or in the deer woods 🦌 . I found highgates product if not kept refrigerated will begin developing off flavours and mold after being exposed to room temperatures for too long. Don’t get me wrong like I said if kept refrigerated nothing wrong with Highgate. Cheers guys

Would be nice to be able to get a couple different batches made up from a couple places.
One product thats good for table fare, and one thats good for week long back pack trips in warm weather.
Nitrates are not a great thing to be ingesting,, so the less of that the better.
However, nobody likes a bout of botulism,, so some nitrates are necessary,,

Atwoods looked tasty, and having some shelf stable snacks is a bonus,
I just wouldn't want all of my game processed into that type of a product.
And the 25lb min most places want to do a batch, tho understandable, is a lot of pepperttes,,

It happens, but it is rare ive had mold grow on a package o f sticks that ive left on the counter to dry out a bit,
they seam to get eaten as fast as they dry out. If shelf stability is a high priority, Roesch may not be the best choice.

I’m going to try Evelyns this time around. I’ve had a bit of their product and it didn’t seem so bad with the vacuum packaging they offer.

Attwood meats or J Mar meats in Mount Forest. Attwood meats used to be Noah Martins until they sold the trade marked name but the processing is still done by the old staff. J Mar has a wide variety of ways to process your venison or whatever you use,

I am partial to Atwood meats as it is a concession from my house.

In Hamilton - Brantford area try Gourmet Meats on Hwy 6 between Mt Hope and Caledonia. We have used them for many yrs and do pepperettes and pepperoni (larger). I get mine in brown paper bags fresh and then freeze them in vacuum sealed bags into whatever # you liked, 8 sticks or 10 whatever you want. They dont dry out this way. He has a large building out back with a cooler that is just for wild game for people that need to cool their meat in early season hunts. Processes, freeze, sausages and makes pepperoni and will skin your deer for an extra cost.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks