Saturday's Brisket May 15th 22.

hvyhaul

Did another brisket Friday night through to Saturday afternoon.

This last cook was very educational for me.

A number of members have added similar pellet smokers to their bases and I wanted to share something with them.

All smokers have hot and cold areas and finding them and dealing with them gives better results. Even a custom made $10,000 stick burner (offset) has them and that's why they come with tuner plates, or you can request/buy them to level out the temperature throughout them.

@stomp let me know the Meater© probe and app he bought showed him where his Treager's were and I thought great addition. Cooking a brisket is always a challenge because of the two parts of the brisket. (flat and point)

I pulled the trigger on two Meaters© to watch both brisket parts. I found four zones, two hot, two cold and used them to control the cook.

I also found you can buy two singles for less than their two block deal.

Now the cook.

Beforerandr.jpgrubbed and ready
In smokerstart.jpg
The revealmeater1.jpg
Doneholebskt.jpg
flat2.jpgslice.jpgpoint (1).jpg

My Treager is about 24* difference on either end, I cooked with the flat in the colder end most of the time to slow its cook.

It is also hotter across the back than the front. That I used that to level the cooking through the meat during the cook.

The slice on the left is from the flat, the slice on the right is from the point.

Looks to be a pretty even cook to me.

14.5 hrs, wrapped super tight in butcher's paper from 160" and rested in the cooler for three hours.

Paper was complely soaked in fat and still 153* when opened and sliced.

I've smoked a lot of briskets on different types of smokers, but the newbie @stomp brought something to my attention that made an immediate difference. 😁. 🌻

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Just wondering @hvyhaul did you rotate the probes positions to confirm your hot-spots/ prob accuracy?

Sounds like the meaters are a "win". I was looking at them the other day and wondering if I need an integrated probe in a bbq if I can do the same thing with one of these. Big benefit is they can be used in the oven or when cooking sous vide etc.

What I did after a night's (2hrs sleep unfortunately) was use the meaters to confirm the hopper/drip pail difference and my tried and true Maverick/RediCheck temp probes for the rear exhaust (no chimney) and across the front.

There's a fan that makes it convectionist but it isn't perfect.

When I deliberately rotated the brisket to even the cook the ambient temps switched places on the meaters.

My success with the meaters was limited, I bought the plus version 50m supposedly, but it dropped as I walked through the dining room to the living room and when I turned in for the night it dropped walking up the stairs to the bedroom.

The Treager stays connected everywhere, so I used it's probe's and app overnight.

Thinking I might have to dig out my last cellphone and if it has the right op system, piggy back a meater network. :oops::rolleyes:🤪

Other than the connection range which I think I can fix, I consider them money well spent. 🌻

Good to know. It's about 20' from my bbq to the living room. I would imagine they must have at least that type of range. Still debating on what type of bbq setup to go with. I really like the idea of having the wireless probe. Thanks

Wow that looks amazing!
I don't have a Traeger, just a homemade charcoal offset. I can't imagine trying to smoke without a wireless thermometer. I have the Inkbird IBT-4Xs that I got from Amazon.ca. Got it 2 years ago and work great!

Range issue revolved. 😁

Dug out my last phone linked the Meaters© to it, used my current phone to access through the cloud account.

IMG_20220516_201022.jpg

Walked all over the place including the street out front, solid connection everywhere, ready for the next cook. :giggle:😁👨‍🍳 🌻

Sounds like the meaters are a "win".
@Crummybun , I bought the meater on impulse and it was on sale. Do your research on wireless probes as I saw lots of -ve stuff about the meater after I purchased. It's only good up to 500 Fahrenheit, so it will only be used on the smoker at my place. I did boot up an old iPad to get the extended network set up as @hvyhaul describes. The meater seemed to work pretty well on my last cook... and you can open up a web browser on any device and look up your cook if you go with the cloud option.

Thanks @stomp, I read more then a few reviews on Amazon. Yes, there was quite few connectivity issues mentioned. Didn't notice the 500° limitation though. Still in research mode, so no idea where we'll land yet. The wireless aspect is pretty cool and might to worth the hassle on occasion.

Here's a review that lays it out pretty honestly explaining the connectivity issues and limited range issues and fixes.

Smoked BBQ Review

Sticking a wireless transmitter inside a metal container is problematic, but there are work arounds.

And don't forget, it's actually two temperature sensors per probe and can be used on a rotisserie

Try that with a wired probe. 🤪. 🌻

I picked one up to try, now I hope it turns out like yours ! I have a char broil electric smoker with a meat probe any other tips for success? I am following the recipe on the BBQ source website you posted. Thanks

If you are referring to the Aaron Franklin article, he is considered the Guru of Brisket.

Every brisket attempt is a crapshoot as every one cooks differently.

I like low and slow, others don't. I start the night before and rest my finished brisket in a cooler for hours if possible before slicing and serving.

People refer to a so called "finish" temperature.

That is only a guide.

Feel is the true indicator of done.

It should be soft to the touch and a probe should slide into the meat like into soft butter. That will take place in a temperature range, not a specific degree.

If you wait for a specific degree your meat could be under or over done.

Time doesn't decide when it's done.

Brisket is composed of two muscles, whose grains run in different directions. Note the direction and try to give yourself an indication which way they run before you cook, as they are hard to find once the bark is formed during smoking.

Pencil thick slices across the grain = yum.

There are a couple of pieces of fat that won't render, I remove them and trim down to 1/4" fat on the cap. There is some sinue and silver skin on the bottom, that's up to you on how much detail you want to get into.

Rub with your choice of spice, I don't bother with injection, I'm not trying to overwhelme the taste buds of judges.

Brisket can take lots of smoke so mesquite, pecan, hickory, anything is good.

I smoke uncovered to around 160* internal, I then tightly wrap the brisket in butcher paper (foil works too) and put it back on the smoker until it breaks through the stall and gets in the "temp" range where I go to feel to decide when to remove it from the smoker and place it in the cooler.

The flat will cook faster than the point so it is a balancing act.

Place your single probe somewhere midway to reflect what is happening to both muscles and hopefully get a relatively even cook.

Resting the tightly wrapped brisket in a cooler will allow the muscles to relax and absorb some of the fat back into themselves. It will also help maintain a very gradual temperature fall.

Good luck.

Anything else feel free to ask, and anyone else with advice, please speak up. 🌻

Last edited:
One pleasant surprise with the Meater probe was the magnetic base of the block. I put mine on my pellet hopper lid and I can lift the lid and the block stays put.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks