Saturday on the bay

Yakfisherman

Little bit of a late start , fishing by 8:30 we have 1 in the bucket so far , I’ve spent my whale life in st. Willys and port Rowan , been ice fishing since before I can remember and I’ve never seen this many huts and people and trucks and atv’s , back in the 90’s was nothing like it is now 58B6C9EC-B841-4E7C-90E9-DAC7971B516D.jpeg750894C5-43B4-4AE0-9205-9B072E97C8E6.jpegF3B01827-985E-4919-8F65-44AF9CCD6635.jpeg

Little bit of a late start , fishing by 8:30 we have 1 in the bucket so far , I’ve spent my whale life in st. Willys and port Rowan , been ice fishing since before I can remember and I’ve never seen this many huts and people and trucks and atv’s , back in the 90’s was nothing like it is now View attachment 53353View attachment 53354View attachment 53355
How was life as a whale in St Willy's and Rowan? Being fairly shallow the word beached comes to mind!!!

We gave up and moved the hut around 2:00 , ended the day with 14 slow day for us , but still a fun day overall
It looked like there were hundreds of huts out there today. We avoided hut city and went straight out to the pressure crack, pretty quiet out there as far as people driving around. Fishing was decent, one 37" pike, 4 smaller pike, 15 keeper perch and a bunch of throwbacks. Lost a couple more pike and saw two more big ones that wouldn't hit

Great stuff @Yakfisherman and great pics too! I'm just happy to see so many getting out to fish and also for the LPB operators. The last couple of years have been tough on all of us especially businesses so a banner year of ice fishing will definitely help them out. :)

A great cash influx for the area forsure... People are tired of staying home... I'm betting one commercial license takes more perch in a year then all of icefishing... ;)
Absolutely! The numbers recreational fisherman pull out of the lake doesnt compare to what a commercial boat would do..

Interesting never ending comments about the commercial fishing side. I am under the understanding that the inner bay is a very important spawning area for our part of the Lake. Maybe I am mistaken on that point. The commercial operators have to access to the inner bay for that reason I believe. I am a sport fisher like everyone else.

Perch prefer to spawn in shallower water of between 3 and 10 feet with an optimal water depth of 6 feet. As both UV light and levels of dissolved oxygen seem to play a vital role in the perch hatchling's survival, a depth of around 6 feet is ideal, as there will be enough UV light that can reach the eggs

Interesting never ending comments about the commercial fishing side. I am under the understanding that the inner bay is a very important spawning area for our part of the Lake. Maybe I am mistaken on that point. The commercial operators have to access to the inner bay for that reason I believe. I am a sport fisher like everyone else.

Perch prefer to spawn in shallower water of between 3 and 10 feet with an optimal water depth of 6 feet. As both UV light and levels of dissolved oxygen seem to play a vital role in the perch hatchling's survival, a depth of around 6 feet is ideal, as there will be enough UV light that can reach the eggs
Perch spawning habits are continually changing... "Some" spawn in the bay but most spawn on the gravel shoals in the lake...

Commercial harvest in the bay fall and spring isn't what it used to be... But the commercial harvest in the lake is epic as ever...

Here in the East end of the lake perch actively spawn in 50 to 60ft and do just fine. They utilize the whole lake.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks