Sandhill Cranes & Tundra Swans

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Part 7)

Subsistence Harvest of Tundra Swans

The annual sustainable total harvest of birds from the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and the Western Population of Tundra Swans has been established at 10% of the mid-winter survey for each population.

Eastern Population of Tundra Swans

The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (2007) has allocated a subsistence harvest rate of 5% most of which would take place in the Canadian high arctic since only about 4% of the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans breed in the area known as the "north slope" of Alaska which is sparsely populated by the Indigenous Peoples there.

It was estimated that the subsistence harvest rate from the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans in 2007 was approximately 3.5% ... well below the allocated 5% harvest rate.

The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (2007) has allocated a sport harvest rate of 5% with the distribution of 9,600 tags based upon a harvest success rate of 50% but the actual average long-term harvest success rate is only 37% ... providing an additional buffer to prevent an over harvest of Tundra Swans.

It would appear that a 50:50 split between the subsistence harvest and the sport harvest is an equitable and sustainable part of the management plan.

Western Population of Tundra Swans

The Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans (2001) has allocated a subsistence harvest rate of 5% most of which would take place in the Y-K Delta of Alaska with the remaining from areas along the rest of the west coast of Alaska.

In 2001 there were 5,399 Tundra Swans reported harvested from the Y-K Delta of Alaska and only 401 Tundra Swans reported harvested from areas along the rest of the west coast of Alaska for a total of 5,800 Tundra Swans reported harvested in that year.

In 2015 there were 3,663 Tundra Swans reported harvested from the Y-K Delta of Alaska and no Tundra Swans reported harvested from areas along the rest of the west coast of Alaska.

The Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans (2001) has allocated a sport harvest rate of 5% with the distribution of 3,150 tags based upon the actual average long-term harvest success rate of only 36% ... providing an additional buffer to prevent an over harvest of Tundra Swans. There are however an additional 900 (3 bird) permits for Alaska but most of these permits are not utilized by hunters.

It would appear (based upon the 2015 harvest data) that the split between the subsistence harvest and the sport harvest was 3,663 birds to 1,125 birds but the distribution of the tags for the sport harvest was based upon the fact that the hunters in Utah, Nevada and Montana collectively would have a harvest success rate of only 36%. If all of the sport hunters had harvested a bird then both harvests would have been about the same. The sport harvest in Alaska (generally rather low) for 2015 was not available.

Note: The reporting of harvested Tundra Swans in the spring and in the fall as well as the collection of their eggs by the Indigenous Peoples of Canada and the United States is based upon their cooperation with the Canadian Wildlife Service and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) respectively rather than by an obligation to do so.

The Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans (2017) acknowledged that the annual subsistence harvest combined with the annual sport harvest will not be able to prevent the continual increase in the number of Tundra Swans in that population ... a good reason for the Province of Alberta to request a Tundra Swan season at this time.

Please refer to Part 8 regarding "Who is Stopping a Tundra Swan Season" in Canada and what you can do to correct that from continuing in the future.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Part 8)

Who is Stopping a Tundra Swan Season

I thought that a brief review of some numbers would be beneficial for those individuals who may not know the number of active waterfowlers in both Canada and the United States as well as the number of ducks, geese and swans that are currently harvested every year.

The following approximate numbers are for demonstration purposes only since the number of active waterfowlers reported in both Canada and the United States have increased over the last two (2) years.

Recently published reports for the previous hunting seasons would indicate that the number of active waterfowlers in the United States have fluctuated from a little less than 1,000,000 to a little more than 1,000,000 and that the number of active waterfowlers in Canada have fluctuated from a little less than 100,000 to a little more than 100,000 ... so about 1,100,000 waterfowlers in total.

Considering that there were a total of 9,600 tags available for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (at the time) and that there were a total of 3,150 tags plus 900 3-bird permits in Alaska available for the Western Population of Tundra Swans the total number of active waterfowlers who hunted Tundra Swans was probably less than 13,650 since not all of the tags and 3-bird permits may have been used.

Note: The total number of active Tundra Swan hunters in the United States in any given year could only have been 13,650 out of an average of about 1,000,000 active waterfowlers ... about 1.36% of active waterfowlers.

Recently published reports for the previous hunting seasons would indicate that the number of ducks harvested average about 12,000,000 per year and the number of geese harvested average about 3,000,000 per year ... so a little less than 12 ducks per waterfowler and a little less than 3 geese per waterfowler.

Considering that there were a total of 9,600 tags available for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (at the time) with an average success rate of 37% and that there were a total of 3,150 tags plus 900 3-bird permits in Alaska available for the Western Population of Tundra Swans with an average success rate of 36% the total number of swans harvested would have been about 5,000 per year.

Note: The hunting of Tundra Swans is not and will not be for every "waterfowler" just as the hunting of Moose is not and will not be for every "big game" hunter who may be satisfied just hunting deer.

It will be the responsibility for those Canadian "waterfowlers" who want to be able to hunt Tundra Swans (without travelling to the United States to hunt our birds) to get involved by joining a local hunting club, becoming a member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters as well as Delta Waterfowl and speak up in support of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season at this time.

Representatives of the Canadian Wildlife Service have done their part (details to follow) and representatives of Delta Waterfowl are doing their part to implement a Tundra Swan season in Canada but "waterfowlers" must support their efforts at this time or continue to limit their waterfowling experience to ducks and geese. Remember that the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Please refer to my Addendum (Part A) regarding what the Canadian Wildlife Service has done to facilitate the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan Season in Canada.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Addendum A)

The Canadian Wildlife Service Contribution

I have included this Addendum A to reflect upon what the Canadian Wildlife Service has contributed (from my personal perspective) to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

In September of 1990 I asked an enforcement officer for the Canadian Wildlife Service about the possibility of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season while attending the Hunting Show at the International Center in Mississauga. He told me (on no uncertain terms) that the Tundra Swan population could certainly sustain such a season in Canada but he thought that there was no "political desire" to implement one at that time.

I patiently waited twenty (20) years before I would ask the question again in September of 2010 but this time I had obtained a copy of the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (2007). The representative of the CWS management (Ontario Region) that I talked to told me (on no uncertain terms) that "we will never have a Tundra Swan season in Canada until someone like you asks for one" and then assured me that he looked forward to reviewing my written proposal. I then carefully reviewed the Management Plan again prior to preparing and submitting my "Proposal for a Limited (Tag Only) Tundra Swan Season in Ontario" to the CWS for consideration in October of 2010. I subsequently provided this representative of the CWS management (Ontario Region) with some additional information regarding the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in February of 2011.

Note: I also talked to a representative of the CWS management (Prairie Region) in the fall of 2010 when I attempted to contact our Canadian representative who was the current member of the international committee that had revised the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans in 2007 and he told me (on no uncertain terms) that if the Province of Ontario asked for a Tundra Swan season then the CWS would grant such a season.

In April of 2011 the CWS announced that it had decided to conduct a Tundra Swan Season Assessment that would involve Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan with an additional special provision for Quebec. I received a copy of this Tundra Swan Season Assessment after it was completed in August of 2013 and it fully supported a sustainable limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for these three (3) provinces (as per the management plan) with a special provision for Quebec.

I contacted the representative of the CWS management (Ontario Region) in September of 2014 to see if there had been any progress towards the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season since the completion of the Tundra Swan Season Assessment in August of 2013. After consulting with his co-workers he advised me in December of 2014 that the CWS needed to review and update the wording of the Migratory Birds Regulations since there was currently no provision for a "tag only" season for any migratory species but that this review would take approximately three (3) years ... to the end of 2017.

Note: I was able to obtain letters of support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (December of 2017), Delta Waterfowl (February of 2018) and the Manitoba Wildlife Federation (August of 2018) regarding the prairie provinces. This was prior to my financial partnership with Delta Waterfowl to conduct an Ontario "waterfowl survey" regarding the potential interest with Ontario waterfowlers for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Based upon the extensive cooperation that I have experienced with the representatives of the CWS management (as noted above) as well as more recent correspondence with them in January of 2020 it would appear that the problem now lies with the individual provinces and the waterfowling community.

Please refer to my Addendum B regarding what Delta Waterfowl has done to facilitate the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Good stuff,, its clear from your work the science supports a season, we just need the politicians to actually follow the science,, and do their job, as you have also indicated, all that was needed, was for some one to ask, and you did,,,

Thanks for that.

Im not sure I could see myself investing in getting set up for a swan or crane hunt if I'm limited to just one or two tags, but that only shows there would be a market for the outfitters in Ontario to get on this,,, Maybe they are all too busy to pursue it.

Good luck, and thanks again for the effort.

Jerome. Thank-You so very much for all the work you have done so far. We need more people like you to champion change. Personally I can't wait for this to be passed.

Hello Fireram and John,

I would like to thank both of you for your support regarding this issue.

Fireram ... you could consider a Sandhill Crane or a Tundra Swan as a "bonus" bird that can be taken if presented while hunting ducks and geese or get a few decoys (Sandhill Crane decoys for hunting Canada Geese in fields and Tundra Swan decoys for hunting "divers" in open water) as "confidence" decoys. I am slowly building up the number of Tundra Swan decoys that I have as storage space becomes available for them. I am disappointed that our Ontario "waterfowl" outfitters are not speaking up more about the Tundra Swan opportunity.

John ... your "wait" could be made shorter by helping to get more "waterfowlers" interested in a Tundra Swan season ... have them read the information in this thread.

Jerome

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Addendum B)

The Delta Waterfowl Contribution

I have included this Addendum B to reflect upon what Delta Waterfowl has contributed (from my personal perspective) to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

In December of 2010 (having submitted my proposal to the Canadian Wildlife Service in October of that year) I contacted the President (at that time) of Delta Waterfowl to ask if Delta Waterfowl would support my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario since Delta Waterfowl had repeatedly requested suggestions from its members. He told me (during a rather lengthy telephone conversation) that he was very interested in my proposal but would like to discuss the issue with the Vice President of Canadian Policy (at that time) of Delta Waterfowl to obtain his perspective on a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. The President (after having discussed my proposal with the Vice President of Canadian Policy) subsequently contacted me to advise me of two (2) concerns that had been raised ... the level of membership support for such a season (which was unknown) and the level of potential public opposition to such a season. Consequently he had to advise me that Delta Waterfowl could not support my proposal at that time.

I then waited six (6) years before I resubmitted my proposal to the new President of Delta Waterfowl in September of 2016 requesting their support based upon the provisions for several Canadian hunting opportunities within the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans (2007) and the results of the Tundra Swan Season Assessment conducted by the Canadian Wildlife Service between April of 2011 and August of 2013. The new President of Delta Waterfowl unfortunately had to advise me (however politely) that Delta Waterfowl would "remain silent" regarding Tundra Swan hunting in Canada essentially because of the same reasons that had previously been provided to me.

In December of 2017 (having recently obtained a letter of support for a limited Tundra Swan season from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation) I wrote another letter to the President of Delta Waterfowl as well as a series of letters to their Board of Directors that extended into the new year. Delta Waterfowl subsequently requested that the Canadian Wildlife Service give due consideration for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the western provinces ... a step in the right direction.

I then received an invitation in June of 2018 to meet with a representative of Delta Waterfowl to discuss the possibility of me becoming a "partner" with Delta Waterfowl to pursue my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario by financially sponsoring a "waterfowl survey" of its Ontario members ... something that I had previously suggested. During this meeting I agreed to provide a grant from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation to Delta Waterfowl for the purpose of conducting this "waterfowl survey" that subsequently demonstrated a very strong level of support by Ontario waterfowlers (members as well as non-members) for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Note: Several additional grants have subsequently been made to Delta Waterfowl for their advocacy work regarding the results of this survey (with a priority for a Sandhill Crane Season, Delisting the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species and a Tundra Swan Season) along with additional annual grants for their Great Lakes Initiative and their Hunting Heritage and Conservation Center.

Based upon the extensive cooperation that I have recently experienced with representatives of Delta Waterfowl (as noted above) as well as the support that I have obtained from them it would appear that the problem now lies with the individual provinces and their respective waterfowling community.

Please refer to my Addendum C regarding what the Ontario Federarion of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) has done to facilitate the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Addendum C)

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Contribution

I have included this Addendum C to reflect upon what the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) has contributed (from my personal perspective) to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

In January of 2010 before I had even considered submitting a proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the Canadian Wildlife Service an individual told me (on no uncertain terms) that I would not receive any support from the OFAH for such a season ... not then ... not ever. However this same individual also told me that if I submitted a proposal for a Mourning Dove season that the OFAH would definitely support my proposal since they already had prepared a "position statement" regarding such a season.

I consequently submitted a proposal for a Mourning Dove season in September of 2010 before submitting my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season and my proposal to remove the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species in October of 2010. Although all three (3) of my proposals were discussed at the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) meeting in November of 2010 only my proposal for a Mourning Dove season received the support required to proceed with such a season. This was the start of a long hard struggle to convince the individuals involved that a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season was warranted in Ontario but at least a Mourning Dove season would be forthcoming in the near future.

In April of 2011 the Board of Directors for the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (an OFAH affiliated club) permitted me to present my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season at our Annual General Meeting and 20% of the members in attendance completed and returned the survey included in my informative handout with 85% of the respondents fully supporting my proposal.

I applied to serve on the OFAH "waterfowl and wetlands" committee in January of 2018 (after having been advised in September of 2017 that my Tundra Swan proposal had merit) with the hope of contributing what I had learned about the current Tundra Swan seasons in the United States but my application was placed on "hold" until the new president elect took office ... unfortunately nothing ever became of my application. A representative of the OFAH advised me however that they were considering a potential Sandhill Crane season since they had recently received more interest in hunting this species and I agreed to support such a season.

In June of 2018 a representative of the OFAH reassured me in a letter that my Tundra Swan proposal had merit but that their current priority continued to be for a Sandhill Crane season and thanked me for my continued support with this issue. In the spring of 2019 Delta Waterfowl provided the OFAH with the results of the "waterfowl survey" of Ontario hunters that was conducted in the fall of 2018 (refer to Addendum B for more information). The Canadian Wildlife Service subsequently declined a request from the OFAH in the fall of 2019 for a Sandhill Crane season (refer to Ontario Out of Doors, January 2020, page 16).

I eventually established an understanding with the OFAH in March of 2021 that included my financial support for their current advocacy work regarding Sandhill Cranes and Mute Swans as well as for Tundra Swans in the future.

Based upon the cooperation and understanding that I have established with several representatives of the OFAH (as noted above) as well as their recent advocacy work in establishing a Sandhill Crane season and delisting the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species it is now time for those Ontario waterfowlers who have not yet expressed their desire for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to let their local OFAH affiliated club know of their support for such a season.

Please refer to my Addendum D regarding how you can prepare for the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Addendum D)

An Introduction to Swan Identification

I have included this Addendum D to assist those waterfowlers who would like to know the basic differences between the three (3) swans that we have before we implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

There are two native species of swans in North America.

These are the larger Trumpeter Swan (24 to 27 lbs) and the smaller Tundra Swan (16 to 18 lbs). The exotic Mute Swan was introduced to North America from Europe in the late 1800s.

Although the Trumpeter Swan and the Tundra Swan may look similar to one another there are a few differences that will help the beginner to identify these three species of swans.

1) The Trumpeter Swan is larger ... about 1 1/2 times the size of the Tundra Swan.

Tip: The word "trumpeter" (three syllables and nine letters) is bigger than the word "tundra" (two syllables and six letters). Therefore remember that the Trumpeter Swan is bigger than the Tundra Swan by 1 1/2 times (24 to 27 lbs compared to 16 to 18 lbs).

Tip: Remember that the weight (high end) of a Trumpeter Swan is the product of its three syllables times its nine letters (3 x 9 = 27). The Tundra Swan is 2/3 of that weight (18).

2) The Trumpeter Swan's bill and head are "wedge shaped" whereas the Tundra Swan's bill and head are more "curved and round" in shape.

Tip: Think of the Canvasback Duck (a larger duck with a red "wedge shaped" head) compared to the Redhead Duck (a smaller duck with a red "round shaped" head).

Although the Mute Swan is as large as a Trumpeter Swan it has a distinctly orange bill and as the name implies is silent (for the most part). However the Mute Swan will aggressively "hiss" at humans and other waterfowl in the marsh ... a notable "bully" towards other waterfowl.

Note that both the Greater Snow Goose and the Lesser Snow Goose (white phase) have black wing tips while all of the swans have white wing tips.

For more information on swan identification see The Trumpeter Swan Society's web site and "click" on the Swan Identification Brochure tab.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

An Ontario Tundra Swan Season (Side Bar)

The Ducks Unlimited Canada Position

I had an opportunity to discuss my proposal of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season, my presentation to the members of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association and the results of my subsequent survey with the President of Ducks Unlimited Canada at a Fund Raiser Dinner in September of 2011 and again during a subsequent telephone conversation in December of 2011. He told me that my proposal was very interesting but that it was not within the current mandate of Ducks Unlimited Canada. However he also told me that I should be very pleased with the 20% return rate that I had obtained with my survey since it was twice the return rate that Ducks Unlimited Canada would expect to obtain with any of their membership surveys.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello John,

I suspected that the process would take between five (5) and ten (10) years to accomplish the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season when I presented my proposal to the Canadian Wildlife Service on October 05, 2010 ... it is now approaching twelve (12) years and the earliest that we could expect to have a Tundra Swan season would be the fall of 2024 since the Migratory Birds Regulations will be reviewed again in the fall of 2023.

Jerome

PS Individuals who want an opportunity to hunt our share of Tundra Swans should contact the OFAH and voice their support for such a season now.

Hello Guys,

I thought that you should note and know about an important change to the Migratory Birds Regulations that has been a long-time coming for Canadian waterfowlers.

Further to my initial proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the CWS in October of 2010, my additional subsequent correspondence justifying such a season early in 2011, their Tundra Swan Season Assessment conducted between April of 2011 and August of 2013 (which fully supported such a season from a biological perspective) and the rather extensive correspondence between us since that time in which they advised me that the Migratory Birds Regulations would have to be reviewed and revised (including a mechanism to permit such a season) please note the "Important Updates" section contained within the Summary of Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations that you will receive with your 2022-23 permit ... specifically ... "the introduction of new permits".

This has been another important step towards us eventually obtaining a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season in Ontario as well as limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I attended the OFAH webinar session regarding the recent changes made to the Migratory Birds Regulations that was hosted by Mr. M. Ryckman (Manager of Policy, OFAH) on September 08, 2022.

I have enclosed my letter to Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, Canadian Wildlife Service) dated September 11, 2022 in response to what transpired during this session.

Jerome.

PS I will provide you with an update shortly ... am currently processing the response that I just received.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

September 11, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment
Canadian Wildlife Service, Ontario Region
Environment and Climate Change Canada
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Re: Sandhill Cranes & Tundra Swans

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I attended the OFAH webinar session regarding the recent changes made to the Migratory Birds Regulations that was hosted by Mr. M. Ryckman (Manager of Policy, OFAH) on September 08, 2022.

During the registration process for this OFAH webinar session I submitted a question for discussion (as requested) regarding Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans because under the "Important Updates" section contained within the Summary of Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations (that I received with my permit this year) was "the introduction of new permits".

You had previously advised me in December of 2014 that the review and update of the Migratory Birds Regulations would include a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) hunting season for a new species ... with an obvious reference to my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

This "mechanism" would also apply for a potential Sandhill Crane season in Ontario.

Consequently I asked (during the registration process) when could we expect a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario. Needless to say I was obviously very disappointed that the Tundra Swan portion of my question was not presented during this OFAH webinar session.

I have been an OFAH member (054089) since 1979 having started my waterfowl hunting at Long Point in 1978 and consequently I had expected my question to have been presented during the OFAH webinar session ... especially since this session ended earlier than originally scheduled having allegedly exhausted all the questions that had been presented.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to respond to my question as I know that many individuals would like to know of a potential "timeline" for the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. M. Ryckman, Manager of Policy, OFAH
Mr. M. DeMille, Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services, OFAH

Hello Guys,

I received a response from Mr. J. Hughes to my letter of September 11, 2022 in which he confirmed to me that the CWS had originally intended to include a "mechanism" during the revision of the MBR that would inable the CWS to issue tags for the harvesting of specific species (Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans).

Mr. J. Hughes then proceeded to advise me that this CWS decision (that had apparently been made in December of 2014) was later changed during the revision process due to some legal advice that they had received and that consequently this "mechanism" was not included in the final draft.

Unfortunately nobody from the CWS advised me of this later decision and consequently I believed and trusted that the CWS had included this "mechanism" in the final draft of the revised MBR that was presented for public comment prior to being passed into law this year ... needless to say that I am very disappointed.

Mr. J. Hughes also advised me that the CWS does not believe that there is an extensive interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season at this time. This belief contradicts the results of the Delta Waterfowl survey conducted in the fall of 2018 ... these results were provided to the CWS in 2019.

I also received an explanation and an apology from Mr. M. Ryckman regarding the circumstances in which my question regarding Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans was inadvertently not presented during the OFAH webinar session on September 08, 2022. The explanation and the apology were acceptable to me.

I have enclosed my letter to Mr. J. Hughes dated September 14, 2022 regarding his response to my letter of September 11, 2022.

Jerome

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

September 14, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I would like to thank you for your prompt response to my letter of September 11, 2022 regarding a potential "timeline" for a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Although I was very disappointed with the contents of your detailed response I did appreciate your honest explanation of the current decision-making process within the Canadian Wildlife Service regarding both of these issues.

My position is that Canada has been allotted 41% of the 9600 tags available annually for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and that the USFWS has proposed increasing this number of tags to 12,000 due to an ever increasing population ... a population that was already 25% above its management goal of 80,000 birds when I presented my proposal to you on October 05, 2010.

Furthermore the CWS is an equal partner with the USFWS in the management of the Tundra Swan population and has the authority to implement a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada as well as to distribute our allotted number of tags available annually ... with this authority comes the responsibility to implement such a season accordingly.

Considering that the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans as well as the fact that the Tundra Swan is a "migratory game bird" as per the Migratory Birds Convention (Canada)/ Migratory Bird Treaty (United States) the tradition of "waterfowling" in Canada should include the harvesting of this species as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans.

I would appreciate the CWS to consider the following four (4) points:

1) There is a significant number of Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 46%) or probably would support (over 19%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

2) There is a significant number of non Delta Waterfowl members in Ontario who definitely support (over 60%) or probably would support (over 17%) a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

3) A limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season would be an optional "waterfowling" opportunity for waterfowlers to harvest another "waterfowl" species ... other than a duck or a goose.

4) This optional "waterfowling" opportunity could be a potential boost to our tourism as well as a potential benefit for "waterfowling" guides, outfitters and retailers.

I have offered to sponsor the development of a Swan Identification Course by Delta Waterfowl that would be acceptable to the CWS in order to facilitate the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have also recently suggested that the OFAH could perhaps monitor (with the CWS approval) the harvest of Tundra Swans at specific locations and I would be willing to sponsor that process as well on an annual basis.

Further due consideration in the future is obviously warranted as I remain able and willing to assist the CWS with the implementation of such a season.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 20, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I was under the impression as it was my understanding from your response in December of 2014 that the CWS premise to conduct a review of the Migratory Birds Regulations would be to address my inquiry from September of 2014. You specifically stated in your response that the revised regulations would include (not may include) a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species.

Consequently the apparent recent CWS decision (not your decision) to delete this "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species [with an obvious reference to my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season] has left me feeling betrayed and deceived.

Furthermore since I had informed the staff at the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters as well as the staff at Delta Waterfowl of the CWS intention to include this "mechanism" in the new revised Migratory Birds Regulations they should also feel betrayed and deceived especially since this "mechanism" would also apply to the previous OFAH request for a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season in Ontario.

I would appreciate an explanation as to what prompted the CWS to seek legal advice specifically regarding the inclusion of this "mechanism" in the new revised Migratory Birds Regulations and the legal rationale to delete it ... if you are able to provide that information to me.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 25, 2022

Mr. J. Hughes
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

I would like to thank you for your prompt response to my letter of October 20, 2022 and for providing me with the information that I had requested (as stated in the last paragraph of my letter).

You had cautioned me in December of 2014 that the inclusion a "mechanism" to permit the introduction of a limited (tag only) season for a new species in the Migratory Birds Regulations would not guarantee that such a season would be implemented ... stating financial and staffing considerations at that time.

I subsequently advised you in January of 2017 that The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation (established in December of 2010 through RBC-Dominion Securities for this anticipated reason) had now accumulated the sum of $20,000.00 (as previously pledged to you) to assist the CWS with the eventual implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. I also advised you at that time that my charitable foundation was now able to provide the CWS with an annual grant of $4,000.00 to monitor the harvest of Tundra Swans for twenty (20) years ... a combined pledge of $100,000.00 in total.

You eventually advised me in June of 2017 that the CWS could not accept my financial assistance and suggested that I contribute these funds to waterfowl oriented organizations ... which I have done and more. You also advised me that the CWS could finance the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season through its regular budget and that the CWS currently receives additional funds through the sale of the Migratory Birds Hunting Permits to monitor the respective harvest of such birds. I suspect that the CWS would also received the funds raised through the sale of our Tundra Swan tags in the future.

I remain committed however to assist the CWS with the eventual implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in any jurisdiction within Canada. That assistance could include (not limited to) sponsoring the development of a Swan Identification Course by Delta Waterfowl (acceptable to the CWS) and sponsoring the OFAH to monitor (with the CWS approval) the annual harvest of Tundra Swans at specific locations as I have previously suggested to you.

Hopefully all the members serving on the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee will be able and willing to discuss this issue further at their next meeting later this fall. In the meantime I would appreciate your thoughts regarding my offer.

I would like to introduce Mr. Ford Widrig (a current resident of Nunavut) to you at this time who has had discussions with CWS representatives regarding the potential hunting of Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans in his arctic area.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks