Samara CR mahi mahi March 1st

your welcome @pikehunter for the Thanks... I did mention the 2 hotels we stayed at.
What ever your needs are.. Samara is a small pacific coastal town that has choices. Its quiet and user friendly. There is plenty of choices for accomadations, restaurants, 2 banks, 2 pharmacys, a grocery store and a variety of small shops. Theres is also a local bus to link you with another bus to visit the surrounding areas. I like this small town, its a little americanized, but without the condos and walmart. you can rent a bicycle, a quad or a car, theres a selection of tours, from visiting the volcano, rainforest or a daytrip to Nicaragua. You can take surfing lessons on the beach, a yoga class or a go for a happy hour. Theres a doctor and a small police station. Samara has an information centre and there is enough english to go around to find and get what you want. The food and entertainment is 3 to 5 star...
Bringing travel neccessitys I reccomend taking the oral vaccine dukoral (2 doses) and immodium for insurance. The daytime highs are 35 to 38 celsius. UV rays are extreme so protect your eyes and skin.
Fishing overview for charter fishermen
If you have..bring a handheld GPS, VHF, binnos, and use your cell phone for marine weather forecasts, and marine & weather conditions, google mapping (&GPS) and spanish translate will be helpful with your fishing charter and success. Fishing charters, captains, deckhands, boats and equipment are not created equal. The quoted fishing charter price, time, location, species targeted with the equipment specifically needed for what your looking for should be negotiated first and foremost.Your options should also be discussed in detail. The charter needs to be clarifyed between the captain and yourself for your specific needs first. Its your money, your boat, the fish you catch is yours and needs to be discussed. Billfish are caught to boat side asap, then revived & released to the best ability possible. Costa Rica has strict sportfishing rules. #1 Circle hooks with natural ballyhoo only. No J hook with ballyhoo, artificial baits only. You and the crew is a team effort with mutual respect and communication. I worked very hard, stayed focused on the spread, always searching waters from dolphins to birds to game fish, colour, currents, trash & long lines, etc. I did my best with my fishing. Learning the water as you go covering new waters while listening and interpreting channel 69 radio chatter. Trolling speed is a comfortable 6.5 mph. I fished 7 total fishing trips in 16 days. The captain picked me/us up at 6:15 am at our hotel for a short drive to the water to reach & board the boat with the boat motors running leaving within minutes.

Hopefully this message will encourage some fishermen to give the sport of billfishing a try someday. The adrenaline rush is priceless. Marlin & Sailfish reach speeds of 70 to 78 mph. I just turned 60 years today. I caught my first ...a pacific sailfish at 32 years old the first 20 minutes of my first deep sea fishing charter for $50 off of Acapulco Mexico. Cabo San Lucas Mexico was my first of many striped and black marlin, that are amazing fighters...

Last edited:
heres just a couple of old photos I clicked with my cell phone...i have numerous fresh & saltwater fishing photo albums including all my thousands of travel history photo collection...all 35 mm
I also have erie & huron salmon & trout and walleye video/audio VHS tapes collection.. thanks to my mom with her camrecorder taking video/audio fishing action out on my boat. I also have a fishing diary and fishing log book I used to keep records.

largest & first sailfish, theres 1 sailfish missing with the 4 sails, thats my first striped marlin and first black marlin all pacific coast mexico :)

proud to say all of my marlin approx. 30 were all safely released...;)

Last edited:
Thanks again Mick for all the detailed information. It is on my list to go there for sure. Nice photos and glad to hear about the live releasing !

Your welcome @pikehunter ...You mentioned earlier you were interested in catching Mahi (dorado)....I confirmed December is the best time for catching the big numbers here. The dorado move inshore to spawn and lay there eggs.
That last dorado I caught and shared a picture on Freds boat was a hen and fought with spectacular jumps with end over ends..the good size ones offer great sport. There very good eating...and the dorado wings are popular too...I did get more then my share of dorado action, had one big dorado come in like a bullet taking 3 ballyhoo baits and kept going in a second...seen one big dorado from Freds top deck hiding under a big turtle...lol but didn't scream over and tear into our baits...dorado love hiding under debris that gives them shade..

ya Simone I fished with on his 32 ft Scarab for the sail tuna & marlin action specializes in freshwater river tarpon in north central CR in a smaller boat. He had come back to Samara from a 3 day tarpon fly fishing boat trip to take me out bluewater fishing. He also specializes in roosterfish fishing 2 locations 23 miles down the coast.
His mobile # is +506 8456 7100 and that is also whats app...so it cost you nothing to chat with him. He is a friendly respectful italian who speaks english and has lots of energy, and he loves fishing...his father is a famous long time professional fisherman.
there is a famous costa rica pacific sportfishing remote location in the south called Drake Bay. Capt. Fred has 26 years experience Drake Bay sportfishing. To get there you fly direct into San Jose CR. You then take a short national flight to Drake Bay. Capt. Fred told me it has great fishing and affordable prices. He mentioned a couple good captains and boats, so he is a good one to get drake bay fishing info..
its something I need to further look at for a fishing trip oppurtunity. Maybe you might be interested in sharing a trip & boat together someday..starting on a new moon with calm waters and go from there...
we are back in cartagena colombia and I am here for another 34 days before i come home...ya its been really windy typical here on the southern carribean and since we got back thursday night..to windy for the boat.. our neighbour caught 2 nice size snook this morning casting jigs off one of the rock pile piers, its only a 10 minute walk from our condo..I am meeting him at 6 am to fish tomorrow...we also catch nice size red snapper using shrimps I buy from the grocery store.. theres the odd small tarpon caught too when the wind lays down..

Last edited:
Thanks Mick, Sounds interesting and yes I might be interested in sharing a boat sometime as the wife gets sea sick when the water is rough.

Hi @pikehunter I understand your wife gets sick sea in rough water...ya my girlfriend got seasick once in Salinas Ecuador just the one trip where we caught the one nice dorado..after that no problem...calm pacific...We are going back to ecuador and fish puerto Lopez December to January...new moon dates are nov. 26 and december 26..they both seem like great dates to go...except...the xmas flight might cost a bit more...
good luck tarpon fishing in cuba...we were all doing good on snook this week...one guy caught 11 snook...all around 3+ lbs on a white rapala...me just a couple on white jigs with vibrax tail...like the rest...lol...hey there tasty fillets...grilled....

just to add..the samara costa rica fishing was good...this is just my opinion...I think the afternoon temperatures were excessive...the humidity was not high like under 50%...it was the heat of that late morning & afternoon sun...I can handle the heat...but it was warm..I am sure you know costa rica is expensively priced in U.S. dollars..we avoided some of the high cost shopping around and going to the small town of Samara...ya to bad for mexico...ya another trip to ecuador is something for us to look forward to..

Last edited:
futhermore I went to costa rica for the March sailfish season...and there were great numbers of fish and action up and down the coast...marlin is anytime...2018 january to march there was lots of marlin action...more then sailfish...fishing sailfish with sailfish equipment and hooking a marlin is challenging...the 3 boats I fished on had 1 heavy duty marlin rod on standby baited with a naked big ballyhoo....when a marlin comes into your spread...its incredibly fast & furious..not like a sailfish...I can not see how the standby marlin rod will have the time to let it out the short distance into the spread and work...marlin don't stick around like finicky sailfish...you wanna fish marlin...you need to dedicate your equipment and spread accordingly...yes it was great to hook and fight big marlin...he was hooked great and the artifical squid combo with airplane teaser infront trailed with a skirted big ballyhoo wired to a 7/0 J hook was also great..ya if only i had the backbone of a marlin rod..anyway it was fun top water hookup with screaming drag action and almost spooled me down to the last backing on the reel...and I got him up twice running ontop to get another good look at the size of the massive girth...I gained all the line back except 30 to 40 metres at boat side ...ya i could just hold him with headshakes that felt incredible...

I am going back to puerto lopez ecuador to specifically fish marlin with Capt. Charlie...I want to pick up some new squid skirts to add to his marlin baits and a bunch of extra orange XXL rapalas that work good for trollin the mixed bag fishin grouper, tuna, corvina, plumero amberjack etc..I am the guy that goes all in...greater the risk...greater the reward...marlin fishing again on the Rosietta with Capt. Charlie and his 2 sons..can't think of anything better to do for next winter...and the comfortable air temps are high of 28 low of 23..I will also be lifting weights this year to gain more strength needed for landing the marlin...

ya if your looking to retire and move south to ecuador where there are many canadians...I looked at buying land property in puerto lopez Ecuador...beachfront land was going for $12 a square metre...mountain land over looking puerto lopez...$8 a square metre...I was chatting with an american civil engineer that just bought property to build his retirement house on a hill/mountain as he is getting close to retirement..Puerto Lopez is something I might consider...but only when our dollar gains some ground...for me its better to rent still trying to figure it out..

contact me if your looking to invest a future into puerto lopez property. The currency is U.S. dollars...I have the information on what it takes for ecuador citizenship to doing business with the ecuador banks..I will say the roads to the pacific coast are all new, the cost of living is affordable, there healthcare is rated average. The people are friendly. To get there is not complicated like you would think. I reccomend copa via panama city from toronto destination Guayquil...or you can fly Avianca via Bogota to Guayquil...both are good and affordable options..if your going for the first time rent a car and explore how beautiful ecuador is...it cost us $423 dollars CA to rent a compact car at the guayquil airport for 18 days...this time around we are taking a bus from guayquil to puerto lopez..the bus station is right next to the airport and it takes 2 hours to get there...I am impressed how ecuador is and such user friendly for the foreigner...

Pacific coast ecuador is still not taken off for foreign tourists...yet, but it is catching on.. salinas is the only retirement pacific small city with condos but its not americanized...Manta to the north is a large industrialized busy pacific city...oil & gas is the countrys largest and the commercial tuna harvesting is some of the biggest in the world..yes we checked it out..so inbetween salinas and manta theres miles of beautiful coast ...and puerto lopez is right in there surrounded by lush tropical jungle..The earthquakes are a not a risk..the shakes are small and not threatning..we felt one staying in guayquil...and they get no hurricanes..which is something to consider comparing the hurricane risk in the carribean...Peru to the south of Ecuador is next on the list to visit...My GF has been there and said its beautiful...
ya i am bored today not fishing snook...letting the week day workers fish the weekend...I will be back out fishing monday..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks