Samara CR mahi mahi March 1st

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
started the morning at a big drop off @ 20 plus miles. We worked are way out and connected with a double header Dorado at 37 miles out.. we had 2 different sailfish chasin with no strike.. we finished the morning we 3 total dorados...were leavin early at 5 am tommorrow for that 37 mile run setup for first light...

Attachments

• costa rica march 2019 247.jpg
    costa rica march 2019 247.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 73
  • costa rica march 2019 207.jpg
    costa rica march 2019 207.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Got a love the colours of those fish, they seem to light up when fighting them in water, delicious to eat too, thanks for posting!

Sorry for the double A bit of struggle posting my fishing report on my cell phone with nonstop advertisments..my laptop charger was left plugged into the wall..lol good thing my gf is bringing it next week when she gets here...ya its gotta be memory lost turning 60 soon..right

Nice fish Mick for sure! I want to catch a few of those beauties. Where do you recommend to stay if we go there?

Hi pikehunter here in samara the hotels are booked right up in March.. theres like only a few days open here and there..I am staying at the pension playa samara 5 nights then we are moving to la doice vita for 16 nights...we booked are stay a month ago..pension playa is pretty nice for $45 U.S. a night with breakfast...I wanted there one apartment but it was taken..typical march break travel..the Capt. I'm fishin with is also booked up..theres good bottom fishin groupers 300 ft down.. but it's pretty spotty trolling were seeing a few sailfish...and the triple on dorados was lucky..there out of season now..the limited radio charter with 1 to 3 sailfish...hopefully it picks up this week..I am goin out Wednesday and friday..the weather is very warm..I thought you were going back to Cuba fishin..

Thanks for the info Mick.Yes I plan on going back to Cuba in April . Maybe like to try Costa Rica next year.

12927 12928 12929

good sailfish action mon/tues...last 3 days its been windy and no marlin bite..laying down tommorrow for the weekend...hope it gets good again..

Since last friday evening huge schools of sailfish moved in off Samara located from a sport fishin boat all the way from flamingo with incredible numbers they experienced...over 40 sails in there spread at one time..anyway news carrys fast and we all had great sail action sat/sun & mon with good afternoon hookups Monday...that morning on a steady sail bite we had a big marlin lunge right across and into our spread..but no hook up that sure was a WOW MOMENT...yesterday tuesday we fished the area again & the blue water changed a bit...and the sails were spotty. Ya they moved out. We had only one sail come up to are teaser..and no chase/bite...we had 4 Dorado bites and missed a big one on the take...ya so we moved on and worked a school of spinner dolphins later morning and picked up a yellowfin tuna..tonight's supper forsure and enough for a couple more..anyway...I will say samara CR has lived up to its great sailfish action...nothing lasts forever..now with a southern wind flow the bar. pressure is bumping up..the moon phases new moon is almost a half...ya I am looking at inshore fishing for friday..with a capt with a fast boat and head down the coast almost 30 miles to reach a river mouth fo roosterfish and other species...like Cabrera snapper...ya like what's a wahoo I forget what they look like...

Last edited:
Since last friday evening huge schools of sailfish moved in off Samara located from a sport fishin boat all the way from flamingo with incredible nunbers they experienced...over 40 sails in there spread at one time..anyway news carrys fast and we all had great sail action sat/sun & mon with good afternoon hookups Monday...that morning on a steady sail bite we had a big marlin lunge right across and into our spread..but no hook up that sure was a WOW MOMENT...yesterday tuesday we fished the area again & the blue water changed a bit...and the sails were spotty. Ya they moved out. We had only one sail come up to are teaser..and no chase/bite...we had 4 Dorado bites and missed a big one on the take...ya so we moved on and worked a school of spinner dophins later morning and picked up a yellowfin tuna..tonight's supper forsure and enough for a couple more..anyway...I will say samara CR has lived up to its great sailfish action...nothing lasts forever..now with a southern wind flow the bar. pressure is bumping up..the moon phases new moon is almost a half...ya I am looking at inshore fishing for friday..with a capt with a fast boat and head down the coast almost 30 miles to reach a river mouth fo roosterfish and other species...like Cabrera snapper...ya like what's a wahoo I forget what they look like...

Heres our fishin report update for friday today..decided to giver another deep blue water troll starting @ 17 miles out with another samara capt. #3...lol..well we had 3 good sailfish bites and no hookups..by 9am ...radio was chattering tuna so we headed over and I picked up one yellowfin jig trollin..then right back to it..and at 1 PM we get a catapalt outrigger strike...and a big marlin blows up screaming port side in no time...yes big marlin on..thinkin it's a blue..well just incredible top water performance on light sailfish tackle 60 lb test..hey I had him up 2 more times and then down deep..such violent head shakes..he was a big black...estimated @ 300 kilos..had him on for 40 minutes with steady pressure..cooling the reel and myself with water..anyway I had him beside the boat approx. 40 meters down..and pop the line goes and yep something sharp cuts the line..thinking a wrap around..ya the drag and steady pressure was good..hey biggest marlin of my career swims another day...happy for that as hours of fighting marlin usually is fatal.. we are looking at all the video footage later..what a great heart pounding experience...I was actually shaking a bit after..I will share some photography later..

just to share a few marlin MP4 videos from March 15th at 1pm..

if your interested double click to full screen..

Attachments

• samara CR billfishin march 2019 060.mp4
    9.3 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 063.mp4
    4.7 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 061.mp4
    8.5 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 062.mp4
    10.9 MB
also fridays tuna I jigged 1 hour before the marlin...Ya another capt...(Fred) from Puerto Carillo I fished again with yesterday on Sat. morning.. oh but without the gf...landed & released one nice sail and 2 mahi for a mornings fishin...ya its hard getting sailfish jumping video footage with out my gf..lol ...ya when the capt. is busy with boat control..the deckhand is scrambling clearing lines & teasers and I am busy fightin & reelin...anyway i got some good bloopers too i might share later...oh ya & welcome to the art of hookin CR sails with the circle hook...pretty cool...

Attachments

• samara CR billfishin march 2019 057.jpg
    samara CR billfishin march 2019 057.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 43
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 077.jpg
    samara CR billfishin march 2019 077.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 093.jpg
    samara CR billfishin march 2019 093.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 102.jpg
    samara CR billfishin march 2019 102.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
just a few more short MP4 videos...watch the sail chase the teaser coming in right to the boat and then deckhand jose lets out the circle hooked ballyhoo and gentley lifts for a great hookset...

Attachments

• samara CR billfishin march 2019 017.mp4
    4 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 024.mp4
    4.1 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 026.mp4
    8.9 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 037.mp4
    12.6 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 050.mp4
    3.9 MB
  • samara CR billfishin march 2019 020.jpg
    samara CR billfishin march 2019 020.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 27
I am done CR bluewater trollin...almost a full moon and the wind is starting to pick up...happy to squeeze in another fishin trip sat. am yesterday..we seen several sails...free jumpers too...but it was a measly 3 bite sail mornin by 9 am just like friday am...we still have a few days to relax and eat tuna & dorado before we header home..

try monitoring channel 6️⃣9️⃣ ...the fishin action is great to hear it on the radio down here..ya another boat scored a big marlin yesterday...6 hour fight..wow..

Awesome reports Mick and love the video clips! I would like to get more details on where you stayed if possible. Will you be at the longpoint spring pike tournament?

Hi @pikehunter ....next door to Samara is Puerto Carillo...for a professional fishing experience you can contact and start fishin with Capt. Fred MaschMeier at 506 8868 7385 and pro deckhand Joseway...the 26 ft bertram has a custom top deck...all equipment is penn & shimano with 1 marlin rod on standby...running a 5 line spread with 2 strings of teasers...lots of fresh ballyhoo onboard with drinks and food..new moon is april 5..so theres a good 12 day window of fishin up to and before the full moon...ya freds a pro and a great guy to fish with...he is on whats app too with the above number...

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks