Salty Shiners?

i agree with walleye that they do work so for all you guys and gals out there start thinking about this late in the season,when our minnow suppliers start running out.[^]

Just curious if you can use borax to salt minnows instead of coarse/pickling salt? I have a bunch of borax and dont really have a use for it, unless it will preserve minnows?

DSCF1047.jpg

Did some up with the brine and then air dry method and they look good and the perch seem to like em. They must have enough salt in them as they stay soft and don't freeze in the freezer.
I don't know how important taste is to a perch, but I'd think salt would taste better than borax.

Google borax and fishing baits. I read somewhere it has a negative effect on released smaller fish, supposedly they die from the borax. I quit using it a while ago on eggs and still have a crapload of pharmcutical grade borax hanging around.

Stick

24-02-11_1200.jpg

"Rivers are living things, sometimes swollen and discoloured, other times thin and anaemic. Spend enough time around a particular river, you learn to read its moods, like a spouse reads a partner."

Gord Ellis ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks