Rod Building Supplies

Red Gator

Do any of you know where I can purchase rod building supplies in Ontario or Canada? I haven't needed any for many years and my old contacts aren't in bussiness any more. :( I would perfer to not order them from Trumpland:LOL::LOL::LOL:

John's Fly Materials in London and Rod Builder Supplies in Victoria get most of my business. Angling Specialities as well as HLS I think carry some stuff too. I believe Jim at centerpinangling.com is also starting to stock some supplies. I still find the need to make an occasional order from Mudhole South of the border tho.

Josh

Reactions: Jay
I used to get LOOMIS blanks from a firm in PT.COLBURNE -R THEY NOT THERE ANYMORE

?

Lol. Nice one @Extra Virgin :LOL:. I am not that old yet:rolleyes:. Thanks fellas. I use to get my Loomis supply's from Lorne Green in Mt. Hope. I didn't know Loomis was in Pt. Colburne. I will look up these companys (y)

I believe your thinking of the old Loomis place in Mount Hope near Hamilton Horty;) Long gone.....loomis doesn't even offer blanks since being bought out by Shimano :(

Josh

Loomis was L G Custom Tackle built in Lorne Greene's garage Mount Hope. The warehouse was downtown a short drive from the shop for G Loomis Canada. Met Ian of G Loomis at the TO fishing show who helped me choose the exact blank and factory build to do what I wanted to do here on local water.
A couple years later a Pt Ryerse chromer spit the hook at me and an egg sinker impact ended that rod. I panicked (seriously). $400 bucks was a fortune to this newlywed. I found the nearest phone booth (ya, I know I'm old) and called Ian from the business card in my wallet. After a bit of pleading Ian agreed to meet me at the warehouse to get the last, discontinued 9.5' fixed reel seat GL3 as soon as I could get there. I wasn't working and the spring run was through the roof. He truly understood my panic.
Out came the roadmap and after an eternity I found the Mount Hope warehouse. Ian met me at the door, late for a meeting. In his hand was .............my warranty replacement. He put her together, handed her to me and grabbed a hold of the tip. "Lean on it!" he says. Reluctantly I pulled up hard to form that perfect C designed into that blank.
It's been a couple of hours since she was in my hands and a couple of days since some chrome has put that C in the old girl. If it wasn't for such excellent customer service, that graphite extension of my right hand would be just a memory now.

Last edited:
It is very unfortunate that they are not in business any more. I had a similar problem with a rod I built for my wife. They replaced the tip section on the spot! Lorne and Ian were excellent.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks