Off Topic RIP Uncle Ed.

Trevor M

As some of you know, I have a VERY large family and as such, death has not been a stranger to me. Of the 33 funerals, memorial services or celebrations of life for family or friends to date that had I the means to attend, I have attended 17. Sadly, that number is going up as I received a phone call from my mom this morning to inform me that death has once again visited our family as her oldest remaining brother, my Uncle Ed, passed away yesterday evening. :cry:

When I was born, Uncle Ed and Aunt Louise, his wife, were named as my Godparents and my legal guardians in the event something happened to my parents.

Until his passing yesterday, as the oldest remaining sibling, Ed was the patriarch of the family. That mantle now falls to my Uncle Terry who lives in the US.

Ed holds a VERY special place in the hearts of the family. Ed has endured what many of us would consider to be the unthinkable, the unendurable. In 1980, he laid to rest his only son, killed at 18 yrs of age in a work related accident. He has also laid to rest the second of his 3 daughters when a suitable lung transplant donor could not be located, a donor for which she had waited over 10 years hoping to find. She fought until she no longer could. During the Christmas holidays in 2019, he watched in horror and helpless as his wife of over 60 years suffered a stroke. She never recovered and passed away the day before her birthday in early January 2020. When it comes to the "immediate" family, Ed has also laid to rest his oldest brother, two older sisters, their spouses, his parents (my grandparents) as well as my grandfather's second wife after my grandmother passed in 1965. In addition, Ed survived cancer and has been fighting Parkinson's for years. Throughout ALL of that, Ed persevered, and set an example to live by, in part, as he would've told you, because he NEVER lost his faith in God when many others in those situations, perhaps may have or did.

Ed is one of the strongest people I've ever known and like me, any who knew him hold him in the highest respect. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace Uncle Ed. You've more than earned it!!!!

Sorry for your loss Trevor
Thank you. :)

My first experience with death was when I was 10. Another uncle. My dad said to me at the funeral something that has stuck with me ever since, and it has always comforted me when someone, be they friend, or family, pass away. I offer it to others to help them in their grieving because what he said, to this day, especially considering how many times I've dealt with the passing of someone close to me, has always helped me in my grieving. I can't remember what I did yesterday most of the time, because it was yesterday and I've moved on with today, looking forward to tomorrow, but THIS that my dad said to me 42 years ago, has stuck with me.

What he said was, "We haven't lost them. While it's true that they are no longer here with us the way we want them to be, and we miss them, we do know where they are. They're here, in our hearts, and they're here in our minds. They live on in our memories, and so long as just one person remembers them, they will live forever." He gently touched my heart and then my forehead as he said those words and I find that to be VERY comforting, and I do remember. I remember every single person close to me who has passed away and therefore, I keep them alive.

As some of you know, I have a VERY large family and as such, death has not been a stranger to me. Of the 33 funerals, memorial services or celebrations of life for family or friends to date that had I the means to attend, I have attended 17. Sadly, that number is going up as I received a phone call from my mom this morning to inform me that death has once again visited our family as her oldest remaining brother, my Uncle Ed, passed away yesterday evening. :cry:

When I was born, Uncle Ed and Aunt Louise, his wife, were named as my Godparents and my legal guardians in the event something happened to my parents.

Until his passing yesterday, as the oldest remaining sibling, Ed was the patriarch of the family. That mantle now falls to my Uncle Terry who lives in the US.

Ed holds a VERY special place in the hearts of the family. Ed has endured what many of us would consider to be the unthinkable, the unendurable. In 1980, he laid to rest his only son, killed at 18 yrs of age in a work related accident. He has also laid to rest the second of his 3 daughters when a suitable lung transplant donor could not be located, a donor for which she had waited over 10 years hoping to find. She fought until she no longer could. During the Christmas holidays in 2019, he watched in horror and helpless as his wife of over 60 years suffered a stroke. She never recovered and passed away the day before her birthday in early January 2020. When it comes to the "immediate" family, Ed has also laid to rest his oldest brother, two older sisters, their spouses, his parents (my grandparents) as well as my grandfather's second wife after my grandmother passed in 1965. In addition, Ed survived cancer and has been fighting Parkinson's for years. Throughout ALL of that, Ed persevered, and set an example to live by, in part, as he would've told you, because he NEVER lost his faith in God when many others in those situations, perhaps may have or did.

Ed is one of the strongest people I've ever known and like me, any who knew him hold him in the highest respect. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace Uncle Ed. You've more than earned it!!!!
Condolences @Trevor M

Sorry for your loss Trevor. Family members are definitely the most difficult to lose.

51Pcv6ysxRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My condolences Trevor. Sounds like you have some very special memories to hang on to.
Yes I do.

I just found out that his funeral will be Feb 1. I will be going.

I also just found out that now that the details are in place in accordance with his last wishes, I have ANOTHER celebration of life to attend in Brantford this coming Saturday if we can make it for another who passed away at the beginning of the month who was part of the family.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks