RIP- Joel Hopkins

sonnyuphi

I am saddened to state that my good friend Joel Hopkins passed away in London this past week . Cause appears to be a heart attack but not proven .
For those who knew Joel ,he loved diver hunting but his passion was turkey hunting. Joel along with his late wife Anne Marie Green and Dave Ankney and his wife Sandra Johnson were instrumental in bringing turkeys to Ontario . The story of how the turkeys were introduced into Ontario has been documented in Ontario Out of Doors magazine as well as on the plaque at the release site of the first turkeys on the 3rd Concession Road east of #59.
There will be a celebration of Joel's life sometime over the summer when restrictions have hopefully been lifted .

Joel was a great guy and will be missed. He's hunted and fished all over North America but Long Point is where he loved to be most, a true gentleman sportsman in every sense of the word.

I met Joel 2 years ago when I started deer hunting with him and his group. This past season we had a very successful year and I can truly say it was an honour to spend time with him. I can tell you how happy and proud he was to shoot his buck and fill our last tag on the Saturday of this past Dec. shotgun hunt. I will not forget his stories of hunting and fishing all over North America but especially sitting on the porch of the hunt camp mid-week last year and listening to the story of his first ever turkey hunt in West Virginia in the 70's. And from that hunt with his late wife and friends, is the reason we now have wild turkeys in Ontario. I've thought of that story often since. His passing is a tragic loss and my condolences go out to his friends and family. I hope somewhere he's up there listening to that first gobble just before daybreak.

There will be a Celebratrion of life held for Joel on July 24 .Those who wish to attend please PM me and I will email you the information as to time and place . With current covid regulations in effect numbers will be limited unless we go to stage 3 on July 20 . Don't let that keep you from attending if you wish as his brother and son will be there for this .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks