RIP Canvasback

Most people will remember John Piggott (Canvasback) fishing the inner and outer bay for decades. Sadly John passed away today and will be truly missed. He was a mentor to me and also a second father. He had so many fishing buddies and always mentioned his trips with Arnie. John also gave me the experience of catching Redfish in Titusville, Florida. It’s been a really tough week for myself and his close friends. I told him last night to find a fishing whole up there that we can all share one day. Rest In Peace buddy.

Bill Kociuk Fishing Charters
My condolences to both you and his family. Rest in peace.

Gone Fishin'
I've finished life's chores assigned to me,
So put me on a boat headed out to sea.
Please send along my fishing pole
For I've been invited to the fishin' hole.

Where every day is a day to fish,
To fill your heart with every wish.
Don't worry, or feel sad for me,
I'm fishin' with the Master of the sea.

We will miss each other for awhile,
But you will come and bring your smile.
That won't be long you will see,
Till we're together you and me.

To all of those that think of me,
Be happy as I go out to sea.
If others wonder why I'm missin'
Just tell 'em I've gone fishin'

Delmar Pepper :

Rip Canvasback thanks for all you have given back to fellow fisherman like myself as I read all your post an gathered helpful information from you over the years, my condolences to the family an friends of the Canvasback

Most people will remember John Piggott (Canvasback) fishing the inner and outer bay for decades. Sadly John passed away today and will be truly missed. He was a mentor to me and also a second father. He had so many fishing buddies and always mentioned his trips with Arnie. John also gave me the experience of catching Redfish in Titusville, Florida. It’s been a really tough week for myself and his close friends. I told him last night to find a fishing whole up there that we can all share one day. Rest In Peace buddy.

Bill Kociuk Fishing Charters
I only met him a few times. He was a great ambassador of fishing.

I think I met "Canvasback" back in the mid-90's through involvement in the Long Point Bay Anglers' Association. I had penned an editorial for the Baywatch magazine ranting about how much I was paying for a fishing licence when so little of that licence fee was going back in to protecting the Long Point Bay sport fishery. I don't think my article or my U.S. spelling of "license" much impressed John. Despite that somewhat lame literary attempt, he was one of the LPBAA directors, along with @Duck Soup, who agreed to support another idea I had of creating an online fishing forum, called Channel 6-8, to further the LPBAA cause. He, Arnold, and others, did, through the LPBAA, offer the funding that kept Channel 6-8 on the air at a time when the Internet was in its infancy and when web-hosting was much more expensive @ US$35/month. Without that support, this forum would not have survived. I am not sure how much of a devotee was canvasback to Channel 6-8, but I hope he got some returns from the investment to which he once agreed. I know that I, any many others, received dividends from having known canvasback. I'll miss hearing about his latest exploits to land trophy Long Point Bay pike and catching up with him during the ceremony of the pike weigh-in at annual spring and fall derbies.

Glendennings Funeral Home has a nice online memorial. RIP John. https://memorials.gffh.ca/PIGGOTT-John/3956873/
I just read John's obituary. It takes a strong person to fight any disease and just as strong a person to make that final decision to not only ease their own pain but the suffering of those they hold dearest who can only stand beside them. To the two witnesses that helped John be granted his final wish, I know first hand how it is to stand by helpless to save those you love and to love them enough to let them go....... My wife and I put pen to the very same form Wednesday night. I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.

I think I met "Canvasback" back in the mid-90's through involvement in the Long Point Bay Anglers' Association. I had penned an editorial for the Baywatch magazine ranting about how much I was paying for a fishing licence when so little of that licence fee was going back in to protecting the Long Point Bay sport fishery. I don't think my article or my U.S. spelling of "license" much impressed John. Despite that somewhat lame literary attempt, he was one of the LPBAA directors, along with @Duck Soup, who agreed to support another idea I had of creating an online fishing forum, called Channel 6-8, to further the LPBAA cause. He, Arnold, and others, did, through the LPBAA, offer the funding that kept Channel 6-8 on the air at a time when the Internet was in its infancy and when web-hosting was much more expensive @ US$35/month. Without that support, this forum would not have survived. I am not sure how much of a devotee was canvasback to Channel 6-8, but I hope he got some returns from the investment to which he once agreed. I know that I, any many others, received dividends from having known canvasback. I'll miss hearing about his latest exploits to land trophy Long Point Bay pike and catching up with him during the ceremony of the pike weigh-in at annual spring and fall derbies.
Stomp, what a fitting tribute...I tip my hat to you...you seem to have the history and thanks to you it has not been lost. John attended most of our LPBAA Pike Tournaments and he always asked if he could place his fold able chair in front of the weigh in station for each event... Of course John was always my answer...perhaps in his honor we will have a John Piggott chair setup at our next pike event.....DOTCOM

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks