Rifle recommendation

PlanB

Looking for my first rifle, other than a 22. Likely used for coyotes 90% of the time but could potentially go deer or black bear hunting. Like the idea of a 243 which I think is perfect for coyote, just not sure on the deer and especially bear. I know shot placement is everything just curious if anyone uses a 243 for deer and or black bear? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

.270 good all round rifle

Anything from coyote-moose very accurate

Where are you planning to hunt coyotes? If you are in Southern Ontario the 270-7mms are not legal. would have been my recommendation as well.

Well, here's my 2cents.
I will have to disagree with Mr. Fudd. 270 is most certainly legal in Ontario for small game. Although the projectile diameter is .277, caliber or "bore" is measured off the lands, not the grooves. Therefore .270 is under the .275 restriction.

Like Derk says, .270 good all round rifle. I have taken 2 moose with a .270 with great results.
It's just perhaps a little "big" for 90% of what you want it for...coyotes. The recoil may be an issue as well. The .270 is a necked down 30-06 brass. Sure, dead is dead and it will certainly work for coyote.
The "problem" I see is that .270 you are usually limited in factory ammo to 130 and 150 grain projectiles.
You can read all about the virtues of the .270 by Jack O'Connor in past issues of Outdoor Life. Hey, don't get me wrong, I myself am more "old" and certainly not "fashioned" Heck I regularly shoot .308.

You mentioned the .243 which is an excellent and accurate cartridge for up to medium sized game, including deer and black bear.

Now, here is another suggestion. Have a look at the new kid on the block that's becoming increasing popular and dare I say it...mainstream.
6.5mm Creedmoor. Increasingly more available in a variety of brands of rifles and factory ammo. Excellent results on medium sized game. And, if you want to "punch some paper" out to 1000 yards, it will do that very well.

If you had not mentioned deer/black bear and were looking just at coyotes, I would suggest .223. Ammo, used to be more reasonably priced, but offer many sizes of projectiles, especially if you reload.

Like many things, it's difficult to have "one to do it all"...that's why they make gun safes that will hold 10 or 20+ rifles cause you can never have just one.;)

Last edited:
A .243 is an excellent deer and coyote round. I load the 80 grain barnes TTSX on top of Varget and it's quite deadly with that little copper solid on deer. I shoot an 80 grain hornady pistol bullet that shoots to a similar point of aim for coyotes, it's a thinly jacketed bullet that's pretty interesting on yotes to say the least. I don't know how the .243 would hold up on bear, but I suspect it would do well enough on a broadside shot with the barnes copper solid. Its all about balance. If your going to be a dedicated bear hunter, I'd grab a .308 or 7mm-08 specific to that duty, and get a .243 for all of your deer and coyote needs. It's tough to have one gun to do everything. a .270 is a bit too much of a compromise in my mind. Too much bang and pop for coyotes, but certainly plenty for deer and bear.

Now, here is another suggestion. Have a look at the new kid on the block that's becoming increasing popular and dare I say it...mainstream.
6.5mm Creedmoor. Increasingly more available in a variety of brands of rifles and factory ammo. Excellent results on medium sized game. And, if you want to "punch some paper" out to 1000 yards, it will do that very well.
Excellant choice Tony, I forgot about the new kid on the block, 6.5 Creedmore. A good longtime friend of mine invested in one a few years ago and it performs well.

243 has a great variety of rounds.
270 is really high powered if you're shooting near populated areas in Southern Ont.

243 has a great variety of rounds.
270 is really high powered if you're shooting near populated areas in Southern Ont.
Yah a .22lr is lethal from 2km away

So if you’re worried about that there isn’t any options

Just shoot down and know what’s beyond your target.

Thanks for all the great advice. Kinda leaning toward the 25-06 or the 6.5mm creedmore, but you guys have given me some more research to do!

Looking for my first rifle, other than a 22. Likely used for coyotes 90% of the time but could potentially go deer or black bear hunting. Like the idea of a 243 which I think is perfect for coyote, just not sure on the deer and especially bear. I know shot placement is everything just curious if anyone uses a 243 for deer and or black bear? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
6.5 Creedmoor is a good option. I also have a ,243, which is likely better suited for the coyote part of the equation, but I wonder if it is light on bear. A friend of mine shot a bear with his and said he wouldn't do it again. My 6.5 has accounted for two bears and bullet construction is important. With a premium bullet there are no concerns. With a cheaper bullet (first bear), it's a larger concern. I find the 6.5 is easier to find ammo that groups well (and I've had a couple).

6.5 PRC is a hot cartridge, as well as the .26 Nosler...although the Nosler chamberings are a bit tough to get. Browning does make some. Both are a bit more expensive to shoot if you dont reload. The old .264 Win Mag was one of the best and is still a great choice ..Winchester reintroduced the caliber a while back

I started my daughter with a .243 and it did well on bear and deer. It is now my yote gun as I got her and recently me a 6.5 creed. I have been a long time 7mm mag user and still love it but the creed is a very well rounded gun for most things. My 2 cents....

25 06 is devastating on deer and coyotes. A little more recoil than a 243, but flater shooting with more energy.
Myself, I would go with the crowd here and go with more than a fit all. A nice 22 250, 223, triple duece are all great coyote cartridges, low recoil and fun to shoot.
Stop into a 30 06 for the rest. Shoot 150 grain nosler partition for deer, and a 180 for bears and moose.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks