Off Topic Response received from MPP re: boat launches

Todsquad

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I haven't seen this posted yet (forgive me if it has been), Oxford County MPP Ernie Hardeman responded to my email, pre-drafted by the OFAH website - I've copy and pasted the specific response surrounding boat launches:

------
Regarding boat launches, these are permitted to be open. However, the owner of a boat launch (i.e. a municipality or marina) may choose to close the boat launch. Marinas are also permitted to be open for services such as repairing or servicing boats; placing boats or other watercraft in the water to be secured to a dock until the marina is open to the public; and other services that enable individuals to access their place of residence or their other property; or support the transportation of items by commercial barges. Again though, the owner of a marina may choose to be closed. This is the same as last year.
-----

Has anyone else received a formal response from their MPP? And if so, does it align with the above?

That aligns with their public messaging. The reality is the local PH people wanted anything closed that encourages people to travel to their area and the folks in TO think that it effects the least amount of people so why not. Which is hilarious because if it effects the least amount of people, why do it?

It isn't working - in Parry Sound they are dealing with more cases than they have seen yet but that is largely because they have a load of labour jobs that bring workers up from Toronto. They don't wear masks, they bunk a bunch of them in 1 hotel. But that is what they are afraid of.

I just mention Parry Sound because my boat lives up past there and I was talking to the owners of a construction company that is unhappy as he is trying to keep his guys away from the Toronto crews that are obviously careless.

The 401/400 looks almost normal again... so we will sit and wait until the vaccines start working. Should be 2-3 weeks based on the UK (single shot too).

I received a similar response, carefully worded but still potentially confusing. To be clear, “boat launches are permitted to be open” only applies by exclusion to standalone launches, i.e. launches not located within a marina.

When they say “the owner of a marina may choose to be closed,” that only applies to the permitted services (servicing boats, allowing people to launch and tie up their boats, etc.). The marina owners have not been given a choice to open or close their boat launches for recreational use, as that’s been specifically prohibited in O.Reg. 82/20 Section 37.

What no politician has offered is an explanation around why recreational boating is being allowed via standalone launches, but not from launches within marinas. There’s no difference in risk? Leaving only a few places open just concentrates the traffic and encourages people to travel further; makes no sense. It is frustrating that politicians will pass the buck by saying “boat launches are permitted to open” without addressing this.

Keep in mind that when the marina owners or municipal controllers have decided not to refund any of your seasonal slip fees, because of the lockdown, they really do not care when you get back in to use the marina. They just put the blame on Doug Ford. If they were losing money, it would be a different tune.

I am being advised, that my insurance is not valid if I am out fishing during the stay at home order due to some clause that voids your insurance if you are engaging in illegal activity while using your vessel....

Seriously WTF? I have about had it with all this bullshit, I am starting to understand why people are protesting.

I’d be dropping that company real quick
It’s not illegal
The law itself is illegal. Therefore the act of fishing is not illegal.
insurance companies will say anything to get out of paying up.

If it's your insurance broker or company claiming that I would change companies. If some one else I'd call Bullshit. There is no law or legal order stating you can't go fishing under the lockdown. It would be no different if you were in a car accident and they started questioning where and why you were driving during the lockdown ensuring that it was "essential travel" before approving your claim.

I received a similar response, carefully worded but still potentially confusing. To be clear, “boat launches are permitted to be open” only applies by exclusion to standalone launches, i.e. launches not located within a marina.

When they say “the owner of a marina may choose to be closed,” that only applies to the permitted services (servicing boats, allowing people to launch and tie up their boats, etc.). The marina owners have not been given a choice to open or close their boat launches for recreational use, as that’s been specifically prohibited in O.Reg. 82/20 Section 37.

What no politician has offered is an explanation around why recreational boating is being allowed via standalone launches, but not from launches within marinas. There’s no difference in risk? Leaving only a few places open just concentrates the traffic and encourages people to travel further; makes no sense. It is frustrating that politicians will pass the buck by saying “boat launches are permitted to open” without addressing this.
I had the time to read through this; I will be replying to Ernie with your comments. We certainly need clarity.

@oldcutmarina kudos on the article I saw on HeartFM. Will be fighting for you to open up the launch.

Lockdown is going to be extended until June 2nd. I really hope they revise it to allow for more outdoor activities like boating.

I am being advised, that my insurance is not valid if I am out fishing during the stay at home order due to some clause that voids your insurance if you are engaging in illegal activity while using your vessel....

Seriously WTF? I have about had it with all this bullshit, I am starting to understand why people are protesting.
Insurance companies are a fraud in progress.

The marina operators ramps are closed for public access only, I can launch my boat and tie it up at my dock, but i can’t access to my boat after it’s in the water.

But on the other hand, the Provincial Park (Long Point) boat launch is open to the public free of charge Monday’s through to Thursday’s. WTF! I have seen this happening as some boats have gone by my cottage heading to the Provincial Park.

Im sure there is no social distancing happening there like as if you were at one of the marinas on the Point.

Unless the park website and local radio news as of yesterday are out of date, Long Point PP is closed but will be open starting May 14 (tomorrow). I haven't personally driven down there to confirm. Under the current rules it seems they'll have the choice to open the boat ramp or keep it closed; there's no indication so far that they'll close it. But our health unit could also overrule at the last second.

Given that we're less than 24 hours away from the park opening date and several of our other local marinas are reopening in defiance of the restrictions (and what will be an inevitable gongshow at a singular open boat launch), some clarification or statement from the park and gov't would be nice.

Allowing provincial park launches and an handful of other, mostly standalone and municipal launches to be open while forcing neighbouring private marinas to close their launches is clearly absurd. It doesn't reduce mobility. It doesn't reduce covid transmission. Even the most staunch advocates for lockdowns would struggle to come up with any logical justification for this. Hopefully the actions by our local marinas will get enough press that the hypocrisy will be addressed province-wide (and hopefully by opening all the ramps, not by doubling down and closing the rest).

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks