Reminder to boaters

TheSnipe

If you see anyone in distress that may look troubled or unsafe please just stop in and ask. Simple as that.
Talked to a friend on the firefighters out towards Burwell. They had to rescue a family of 5 of Asian descent about a mile off shore with an 18 month old baby on board and 2 youth in a 6 foot rubber dinghy. No paddles, life jackets or any means of safety were aboard. A simple check by many of our members that may have possibly encountered this family astray on their travels in their line of sight. We may be fishing but lets also do our best as it is our due diligence to assist astray boaters.

Regardless of race, anyone can have a brain fart, myself included. Some brain farts are worse than others of course.

While I agree with your assessment, and that we should all be looking out for those in trouble, there was some major poor planning on behalf of those parents!!

Question for you, all race aside.

Who is qualified or able to help if they were in a situation like that?

Here Is an example.

Joe shows up in his 17' Lund/KMV and here is a boat in trouble with 6 people on board. Joe has 3 friends with him and they all have life jackets but no extras, what does he do?

If he tries to tow this boat full of people ashore and it goes under what then?, He cant throw them life jackets as he then leaves himself and his friends vulnerable, he cant bring them aboard as he will overload his boat and likely sink. He is helpless except to throw anything he has that will float (except his life jackets) and alert emergency personnel as to the where and when.

Some things are best left to the trained professionals with the proper equipment, as for the person who gets them selves in this situation, they have no regard for their own safety or the safety of others.

It is even tougher for me as a charter boat with paying clients.

Learn how to boat, learn your boats limits, boat within your limits and be Smart:)

My 2 cents,

Last edited by a moderator:
In these days of sue everyone mentality... Along the same lines as BD. If you do go to try and save them and in turn the save goes bad as BD point out Then does the saving party get sued charged by the family of people being saved?... And by trying to defend himself for not know how to save anybody has to endure all their own legal expenses... I know under the good Samaritan laws you were trying to do your best but in the eyes of a court case...

As BD says... radio in get the people with all the right equipment out there. Monitor to ensure their safety but leave this type of rescue to those equipped... Very well said..BD

human nature to try and help, but trying to transfer people between a 17ft lund or larger (realistically the smallest boat you should be in off-shore) with a small rubber dinghy would be difficult on a good day - dangerous on a bad day. imaging trying to hand over the baby just as one boat goes up and the other goes down, boats move apart then together?? scary.

Like BD and Justforus said, best to call for the pros, stay close and reassure them that help is coming.

just another reason for better boater training that includes a practical test just like with autos. maybe go so far as needing to provide proof of training/license when purchasing/renting a boat.

whatever happened to common sense and perhaps endangering life to the operators / owner of the boat that was over loaded without safety gear. and that is not a race comment -- but rather an observation.

Once these Guys are done on the Bay, they 'll be headin to Port Burwell to help out..
batboat88888838_zps627e1533.jpeg

A mile off shore without a paddle is up as big a shit creek there is. If true, it's almost a story of natual selection. Heartening to know these guys are back in the City and get to vote again. They'll no doubt vote for more McGintys , not a one with her paddle in the water.
The Laws of Nature are absolute and shouldn't have been ignored here for so long. You keep doing everything for people they'll soon refuse to do anything on their own,as is evidence here,they don't/can't think for themselves. Caution the coffee is hot. Don't put you hands under the lawnmower. Don't put this toaster in your childs bath. Don't play on the yellow line.
I lived in the moutains in Alberta and all winter snowmobilers try to see who can climb the highest in avalanche chutes, that's right in harms way.They are killed every year and not just 1 or 2 of them. That IS Natural Selection , yes the coffee is hot. What bothers me is that good, dedicated people with a fine sense duty are put that same harms way to seach for these selfish and stupid dead guys.

Last edited:
Sadly very true, and as to Big Dave's reply. More so If you notice a vessel that is not suited for those waters and just stop by see that their safe and pass message on to the coastguard through your trusty VHF. Taking matters of towing or bringing members abroad does make you liable if there were mishap. But, assisting to make sure they're making it home with regards to someone knowing they're there without gear or not.

Snipe, I see them out there all the time, 12' boats with 4 people out 3 and 4 miles. People running the 18 miles from Burwell in boats that are not suitable for the run.

Just last weekend a guy was off Clear Creek broke down and looking for a tow.

I, and the many that fish there are not baby sitters.

I am not going to tow someone to Burwell and then have to boat back. I have people on board who have hired me to take them to the fish and show them a good time.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions and act accordingly.

BD

If you see anyone in distress that may look troubled or unsafe please just stop in and ask. Simple as that.
Talked to a friend on the firefighters out towards Burwell. They had to rescue a family of 5 of Asian descent about a mile off shore with an 18 month old baby on board and 2 youth in a 6 foot rubber dinghy. No paddles, life jackets or any means of safety were aboard. A simple check by many of our members that may have possibly encountered this family astray on their travels in their line of sight. We may be fishing but lets also do our best as it is our due diligence to assist astray boaters.
If we were to tell every person we see going out on the big lake that its not safe for them out there you would be told to F off a lot. People will do what they want when they want that's part of life.

If we were to tell every person we see going out on the big lake that its not safe for them out there you would be told to F off a lot. People will do what they want when they want that's part of life.

Had that happen.....

Dont need to stay with them, Just ask if their alright, If you observe an obviously unsafe boat, You can pass it on. Post isn't to make an arguement of logic.

No one is arguing and I applaud your thoughtfulness.:)

Logic is going out safe to begin with:oops:

BD

As I recall, there was a question similar to this on the boating exam. It is our responsibility (by law)to give aid in one form or another if a boater is signaling for distress. No one is saying that you need to tow them in or take them aboard.
Just simply stop, ask if they are OK, signal for help using radio, phone and wait for assistance to arrive and then let pros take over. If the worst that may happen is that they tell you to F-OFF then big deal.

Let give this senario

If a boat capsizes and you arrive, 3 people in water, are you going leave them in the water simply because you do not have the life jackets to give them. I hope no. I myself would pick them up. But thats just me.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks