Recent Steelheading

Thanks for the post, great pics, amazing that we have these fish in our rivers.
Would be nice if the province would do more to improve the rivers that dont, or cant, support these..

Thanks for the post, great pics, amazing that we have these fish in our rivers.
Would be nice if the province would do more to improve the rivers that dont, or cant, support these..
A majority of our great lakes tribs hold very healthy naturalized populations. We're pretty lucky! Not sure theres much we could do short of massive stocking and I'm not sure thats a great idea...

Josh

X2.
A majority of our great lakes tribs hold very healthy naturalized populations. We're pretty lucky! Not sure theres much we could do short of massive stocking and I'm not sure thats a great idea...

Josh
X2

Josh
Lots could be done on river habitat especially the mouths of the smaller creeks... That would be just a start... Lower limits and no kill sections of some rivers as well... Not trying to hijack your post... Always do enjoy your pics...

Im all for habitat improvements! But the mouths of creeks aren't where work is required. Upstream Spawning areas and cold water, juvenile rearing habitat is what needs to be protected/improved....

Theres some areas that I think would be great to open up year round and have C&R only during the extended season. Unfortunately the MNR would rather streamline regulations as much as possible rather than successfully manage individual fisheries. And introduced migratory species are far from their the top of the priority list despite being such a popular resource 😒

Josh

If they can't get past the mouth... They can't get upstream... ;) The WHOLE system could use some overhaul...

Hey Josh. I think I might know that limbo tree. Or at least it's relatives. Lmao.

Unfortunately Ontario is a mess as far as protecting and rehabilitating streams. Neighbouring states like MIchigan and Ohio are far more receptive to protection of streams. I just recently have had a horror show with my township, UTCA and eventually the Federal Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans. A stream on my property (unfortunately designated as a drain) back in the 60's was dredged...a cold water stream that had rehabilitated itself over time. Fortunately because I had documented a species at risk (Northern Brook Lamprey), part of the stream on my property was not dredged. Basically it is all political, farmers (myself included) for the most part want waterways dredged. In bordering states you just don't see land farmed within a few feet of a stream or river....here in Ontario that's the norm. Township politicians don't want to risk losing elections so when someone calls to have an area dredged..it just happens. UTRCA are in a conflict trying to protect resources but they get funding from the townships. Thankfully someone from Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans said no to dredging.

some are aware of the massive irragation going on with are farmlands...
including pumping water out of our local native trout streams to feed agriculture crops..
you should see the number of pumps in our trout creeks and the low water levels come late summer...
just once the MNR constructed an eel dam (control) on a feeder trout stream..the waters above use to hold rainbow & brook trout

on the bright side is another thanks to our neigbours in the south...thats right lake Erie continues to be stocked with 2 million rainbow trout annually...why ...all along its been a put and take sport fishery ..since I started in 1985...I bought my boat for one reason only and that was for the abundant salmon...just like everbody else that targeted salmon and thats the way it was..

port stanleys famous derby back then..was called the Summer Salmon Search...the top erie king salmon averaging 20 to 25 lbs and wins a wilker boat ...and erieaus derby the Great Erie Salmon and Pickeral Hunt...
And the famous Lake Huron Chantry Chinook Salmon Classic
cancelled this year ...The big spring salmon derby out of Kincardine we fished is dead and gone..and that was a great one with limits of Kings out at point clark reef gorging on alewifes

Salmon derbys on the great lakes was the best of the best for sportfishing in that era...everybody fished and wanted king salmon and erie cohos were best for numbers and lasted the most...

I started on owen sound in the late 70s...great fishin for kings & trout...

the rainbow trout in erie & huron are no where near the numbers and the size they use to be...all together different rainbows on erie...some of the trout the states use to stock were high quality fighters that will break you off..skamania for one..I remember one erie season that word of crazy trout hitting with wreckless vengence was across the lake...up to 17 lb erie rainbows back then..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks