Off Topic Raw dog food and... sheephead?

Octavius Brine

Hi guys, maybe a dumb thought that crossed my mind but- anyone ever try keeping sheephead or other less desired fish for their dogs?

I feed mine dry dog food but give her whatever raw bits become available... trimmings, bones, carcasses etc. I hear drum/sheep have a weird springy texture and are not all that appetizing, but I really doubt any of that matters to my dog? Curious if someone has tried that... and I probably will this season...

I would worry about the fish bones ? Maybe feed it to cats as they nibble their food instead of gulping it down like a dog does ? Probably good for fertilizer ? Not sure if they ( Sheepshead ) could be used as bait for Cormorants ?

I have never cooked a sheephead before,but I know that a small carp can definitely stink
up a house fast,( been there & done that ), year’s ago,if it was ever cooked indoors,( outside is a lot better),in tin foil over a fire pit,if you or anyone else are willing to try cooking carp for dog or cat food,and just saying.

Last edited:
I knew this would get a few laughs.

@hvyhaul it reminds me of catching bullheads and channel cats with my brother as kids. We'd see them on bottom from the dock, drop a worm right in front, and then argue and try to convince the other guy to unhook them :ROFLMAO: If we had known what a barbless hook was back then we could have saved a lot of bickering!

@FrankTheTank I think barn cat feed is a good use!

I do love my dog- I swear! But even in good dog food I am sure they grind up worse fish :oops: To be sure, I wasn't planning on pan frying it on the stove with fish crisp ahah. And she can crunch all those raw chicken bones no sweat?

It is a good point about Wuhan- probably some extra special worms available in raw freshwater fish (although for the record, you can actually eat it safely raw like with cold smoked salmon, other recipes... if you follow the time/temperature freezing method to kill worms.)

And @Old Cut LongPointer the fertilizer sounds like a fantastically awful stink that I'd be willing to try. Especially the classic move of burying the whole works and planting a tree or something over top. My wife wouldn't even be surprised.

I can remember my dad cleaning them.

Held them by the belly, barb out each side, couple of slits with a knife, pulled the head backwards and was left with fillets.

Well, that's what I think happened. LOL 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks