Ramp etiquette and queue

Step 1.) Before you get to the Marina, know that you are the most important person on the lake and others will and should treat you as a person of importance and feel lucky they get to boat on the same lake as you.
Step 2.) Never practice backing up your trailer before getting to the ramp, make sure you take about 10 attempts to get it somewhat straight down the ramp.
Step 3.) Never have your boat rigged with bumpers and lines prior to arriving or take the top off your boat until you are in the middle of the ramp.
Step 4.) Either disconnect your trailer from the boat completely so it floats off away from you and the ramp when you back in, or, if you prefer, leave all the straps connecting your boat to your trailer on and pull like hell trying to figure out why you cannot get the boat off the trailer.
Step 5.) Leave your boat and trailer on the ramp so it is ready to go when you get back in!
The important thing is that you are trying to be a courteous person, do your best, follow the suggestions above and get there early and leave early or late and have patience because most of the people reading this have done similar things in the past until they got tuned up and understood how to be a good boater. It is too bad many ramps do not have someone directing traffic but taking the time to see how each ramp operates will keep others from yelling at you and allow you to laugh at the other guy backing up the trailer!

And Always leave the Plug out until you get to your fishing spot

I don’t know why all the hate on the NEM ramp at Burwell. Maybe it’s because I don’t fish weekends but it’s always been a pretty smooth operation. I don’t know that I’d want to hit any Erie ramps on a weekend.

T

They renovated the ramps and have 3 now. Should help with the line up that is normally there.
I heard that they did renovate the ramps @Shadz but Port Bruce would be my choice,only because it is closer for me,and they also updated the boat ramp there as well.All the best in your Lake Erie walleye season & tight lines!! ?????:)

I don’t know why all the hate on the NEM ramp at Burwell. Maybe it’s because I don’t fish weekends but it’s always been a pretty smooth operation. I don’t know that I’d want to hit any Erie ramps on a weekend.
Very true @Porkpie It just so happened to be a weekend when I went on my friends boat,and even though I got there early to meet up with him,it was very busy that morning. But when the walleye fishing is as good as it was last year,any boat ramp is likely going to be very crowded,especially on the weekends and holidays. Tight Lines & Walleye’s ON!! ????:)

Step 1.) Before you get to the Marina, know that you are the most important person on the lake and others will and should treat you as a person of importance and feel lucky they get to boat on the same lake as you.
Step 2.) Never practice backing up your trailer before getting to the ramp, make sure you take about 10 attempts to get it somewhat straight down the ramp.
Step 3.) Never have your boat rigged with bumpers and lines prior to arriving or take the top off your boat until you are in the middle of the ramp.
Step 4.) Either disconnect your trailer from the boat completely so it floats off away from you and the ramp when you back in, or, if you prefer, leave all the straps connecting your boat to your trailer on and pull like hell trying to figure out why you cannot get the boat off the trailer.
Step 5.) Leave your boat and trailer on the ramp so it is ready to go when you get back in!
The important thing is that you are trying to be a courteous person, do your best, follow the suggestions above and get there early and leave early or late and have patience because most of the people reading this have done similar things in the past until they got tuned up and understood how to be a good boater. It is too bad many ramps do not have someone directing traffic but taking the time to see how each ramp operates will keep others from yelling at you and allow you to laugh at the other guy backing up the trailer!
Is that the Polish or the Newfie coming out. LOL!!! ;):)

I am surprised that some people actually put their boats in the water AND THEN load their gear and coolers... I had seen it happen at least few times at Port Stanley last year/season... I had to bite my lip.

Port Stanley is usually a pretty decent ramp, but the warm weather brings out a lot of seadoos which are usually quick to launch/retrieve.... usually....

At this point I'm thinking I'll just go with the flow... if there are a few boats in the water queued waiting to get dry then I'll queue with them.... if there are a few boats tied to the pier and trucks with empty trailers in queue on land then I will do that....

Elgin really should designate a closer parking spot JUST for trucks/trailers... it's SHIT when you have to run 5 minutes while carrying a 2 or 4 year old to the back of the parking lot to get your truck; the lot is shared with beach goers... I love that evening bite and sunset.... but leaving my boat unattended AND taking up a ramp for 5 minutes when there are others waiting for a ramp it looks bad... right?

T

They renovated the ramps and have 3 now. Should help with the line up that is normally there.
Hey Guys! For those that don’t know, Port Burwell Marina (south of the bridge) is our second location (going on our 3rd summer this year) and we try to make it as smooth as our Port Bruce location (North Erie Marina). Last year we put in a new triple wide ramp and we found it helped A LOT with the traffic and getting people in and out faster. I have to agree with what most people are saying... having your boats ready to go makes things a lot smoother ? we should definitely have a reality show for ramping some days.... Happy boating Y’all!! Won’t be long now ?

Hey Guys! For those that don’t know, Port Burwell Marina (south of the bridge) is our second location (going on our 3rd summer this year) and we try to make it as smooth as our Port Bruce location (North Erie Marina). Last year we put in a new triple wide ramp and we found it helped A LOT with the traffic and getting people in and out faster. I have to agree with what most people are saying... having your boats ready to go makes things a lot smoother ? we should definitely have a reality show for ramping some days.... Happy boating Y’all!! Won’t be long now ?

Just curious. I know the ramps moved in Bruce, has the bait shack moved as well, or is it still in the same place? Also when do you expect you may start having bait, I'm pretty much out of hibernation mode now so it won't be long before I decide to wet a line, even took the gear out and did the annual maintenance on the reels etc over the weekend lol.

...Nobody has mentioned the obvious here...If you are at a launch and see somebody launching their boat by themselves, grab a line and give 'em a hand..EVERYBODY wins that way....
As an added point to a well made point, if you are launching solo, don't be afraid to ask for help. I do all the time, and have never been refused.

Just curious. I know the ramps moved in Bruce, has the bait shack moved as well, or is it still in the same place? Also when do you expect you may start having bait, I'm pretty much out of hibernation mode now so it won't be long before I decide to wet a line, even took the gear out and did the annual maintenance on the reels etc over the weekend lol.
Hey Trevor! Yes, the bait house will be located near the new ramp this year. We should have Minnows in a couple weeks. Hope you had a great winter!

I am surprised that some people actually put their boats in the water AND THEN load their gear and coolers... I had seen it happen at least few times at Port Stanley last year/season... I had to bite my lip.

Port Stanley is usually a pretty decent ramp, but the warm weather brings out a lot of seadoos which are usually quick to launch/retrieve.... usually....

At this point I'm thinking I'll just go with the flow... if there are a few boats in the water queued waiting to get dry then I'll queue with them.... if there are a few boats tied to the pier and trucks with empty trailers in queue on land then I will do that....

Elgin really should designate a closer parking spot JUST for trucks/trailers... it's SHIT when you have to run 5 minutes while carrying a 2 or 4 year old to the back of the parking lot to get your truck; the lot is shared with beach goers... I love that evening bite and sunset.... but leaving my boat unattended AND taking up a ramp for 5 minutes when there are others waiting for a ramp it looks bad... right?

View attachment 13589
You are exactly right, you have to park so far away, you almost have to call a cab to get back to your vehicle. The price you pay to launch you would think that someone could organize the in and out at the launch. I wouldn't want that job as there are boaters out there that will always think they should be first in line

...Nobody has mentioned the obvious here...If you are at a launch and see somebody launching their boat by themselves, grab a line and give 'em a hand..EVERYBODY wins that way....
A excellent point @Doral Tara ???:) I fish solo a lot and so far so good for me to launch my 18.5 foot length Lund by myself usually through the week,(retired),and I try to get there early at the boat ramp,before “the crowd” arrives.Most people are willing to help each other,as I have personally noticed,such as myself would help anyone that would need help.This helping out of course would benefit everyone to clear the boat ramp area much faster. Happy Boating & Fishing to All!! ????:)

Last edited:
After 40+ years of launching I can say it's going to be a P.I.A at the ramp. Probably not because of the guys on this site unless something goes sideways. Chillax, laugh don't get pissed . It's one of the reason I prefer the ramp in Burwell north of the bridge. The Traffic Lady! Only had to yell at me once last year. She scares me a little but she keep things moving.
That's where I go, but they slipped by her that day.

After 40+ years of launching I can say it's going to be a P.I.A at the ramp. Probably not because of the guys on this site unless something goes sideways. Chillax, laugh don't get pissed . It's one of the reason I prefer the ramp in Burwell north of the bridge. The Traffic Lady! Only had to yell at me once last year. She scares me a little but she keep things moving.
that pisses me off to no end ..have your shit together before you get in line.its a boat launch not a get your shit in the boat spot

Last edited:
I agree with all the posts,, have your boat geared up, bait on, ropes out, takes 3 minutes to back in and unload, once boat in move boat back as far as permitted( boats waiting for captain to come back after parking trailer) to let next boat to stage, hop in and take off...tight lines and be safe this summer, cant wait to be back on the water,,hope everyones experience will be good at their favourite launch site,,,,but be calm, the weekend warriors are there every weekend,patience is a virtue(sometimes) lol

Be prepared
Use common sense
Be courteous
Don't be afraid to ask for help
Help others who clearly need it
Stay calm

I usually fish alone and it boggles my mind how groups of 2-3 or more people have so much difficulty launching and loading. It really is a simple and straight forward process. Booze, weed, nerves and inexperience are likely culprits?

Be prepared
Use common sense
Be courteous
Don't be afraid to ask for help
Help others who clearly need it
Stay calm

I usually fish alone and it boggles my mind how groups of 2-3 or more people have so much difficulty launching and loading. It really is a simple and straight forward process. Booze, weed, nerves and inexperience are likely culprits?
Well all that plus no respect for others
Perhaps if the parents would have kicked them in the azz when it was needed like mine did
?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks