Rain gear recommendations wanted.

Stick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Since my season is here I started going through my gear and it's time for a new rain coat. I'm sick and tired of getting soaked to the elbows on rainy days holding a drift rod. Are the big dollar coats worth the money? Also, my Raynauds Syndrome isn't getting any better (hands go dead and white at the slightest cold) so I'm searching out glove options as well. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I currently use ski gloves and need that kind of insulation for my fingers. My 15 year old gloves are well broke in and I can cast a centerpin all day long with them but they've just about had the biscuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: GPS
I have a "Bear " rain suit , pants and jacket made of gortex and its 10 years old , no leaks and super comfortable, for gloves I use Sims fingerless
Its worth the money in my opinion

I just soaked my raincoat with a can of the tent waterproofing. And went up north for a week and stayed dry threw many steady rains even a solid day.

The big $$$ for good GORE-TEX rainwear is definitely well worth the cost @Stick. Unlike ordinary synthetic textiles GORE-TEX not only stops rain 100% from getting in but also just as important lets perspiration out. So it keeps you dry on the outside and dry on the inside at the same time. It also is terrific at wind blocking and is rugged and very lightweight. I have a Jacket/pants set of Mountain Hardwear Exposure/2 Packlite for the boat for those times I get caught in the rain. As @Ticker said it's worth the money and in my opinion the first downpour will convince you of that. Hey we're not getting any younger, it's only money and we can't take it with us. ;) 😁

The big $$$ for good GORE-TEX rainwear is definitely well worth the cost @Stick. Unlike ordinary synthetic textiles GORE-TEX not only stops rain 100% from getting in but also just as important lets perspiration out. So it keeps you dry on the outside and dry on the inside at the same time. It also is terrific at wind blocking and is rugged and very lightweight. I have a Jacket/pants set of Mountain Hardwear Exposure/2 Packlite for the boat for those times I get caught in the rain. As @Ticker said it's worth the money and in my opinion the first downpour will convince you of that. Hey we're not getting any younger, it's only money and we can't take it with us. ;) 😁
But $600 US for Simms makes me want to puke. Adding up the cost of everything I'm wearing and holding on a day at the creek now exceeds the $ value of the SUV that got me to the creek in the first place. I don't scrimp on the important stuff (waders were almost 700) but I'm a bush wacker and the idea of avoiding raspberry and wild rose canes isn't in my DNA @Wave Runner :)

Yeah, agree with Wave Runner. I use Cabela's "Dry Plus" but it feels like GORE-TEX and probably is. Anyway, it keeps me dry and comfortable. I don't often fish in the rain but as you know I've been addicted to waterfowl hunting all my life and have often given my clothing the ultimate test in cold and wet.

I just soaked my raincoat with a can of the tent waterproofing. And went up north for a week and stayed dry threw many steady rains even a solid day.
Unfortunately it's the cuffs that are my worst problem. May need your help wrapping my wrists with duct tape this fall Bryon. :)

But $600 US for Simms makes me want to puke. Adding up the cost of everything I'm wearing and holding on a day at the creek now exceeds the $ value of the SUV that got me to the creek in the first place. I don't scrimp on the important stuff (waders were almost 700) but I'm a bush wacker and the idea of avoiding raspberry and wild rose canes isn't in my DNA @Wave Runner :)
SportChek has the Gore-Tex jacket I have in a clearance sale if interested.

I use simms rain coat I bought at angling sports and paired it with bass pro hpr rain bib from cabelas.

I am old school for really nasty weather to me nothing beats waxed cotton coat and real wool sweaters underneath. My best waxed jackets have lasted many decades and if they start to leak a bit you just re-proof them. My best wading have been The Barbour Spey jacket and a 30 year old Hardy with a great hood. They are expensive new but pretty easy to find used ones on EBay. No problem with used as they can be reproofed and just get more “character” with age.

Here's a few more GOR-TEX JACKET options on sale @Stick.

$140 off

$68 off

$98 off

Last edited:
Mines a wetskin too. But my cuffs do get wet. Ive always wondered if that basspro gortex could withstand the bushwacking

Since my season is here I started going through my gear and it's time for a new rain coat. I'm sick and tired of getting soaked to the elbows on rainy days holding a drift rod. Are the big dollar coats worth the money? Also, my Raynauds Syndrome isn't getting any better (hands go dead and white at the slightest cold) so I'm searching out glove options as well. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I currently use ski gloves and need that kind of insulation for my fingers. My 15 year old gloves are well broke in and I can cast a centerpin all day long with them but they've just about had the biscuit.
I have a bihg problem with my fingers getting cold on those rainy cool days and frost filled days . What i have done and still do is wear a pair of mitts with a single finger hole along wit a pair of fingered wool gloves or rayon that i can wear inside and use the hole to put my finger through . I currently use the orange fingered gloves with the rubber dots on them ,but any of the light hunting gloves will do . I use the same when i am out deer hunting in the lates shotgun season . Hope this helps you

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks