Rabbit Recipes

SouthernOntariosportsman

Had an odd outing this morning , just went out with my pup for a walk and just looking for yotes first thing at sun rise. brought my marlin .22 with me. first 2 treelines we walked, i saw an absurd amount of rabbits feeding near the corn stalks. i didn't make a move on them just yet, i wanted to finish my rounds looking for a big male yote that has been screwing with me and deer hunting. Never did lay eyes on him , so he lives another day. On our way back along those tree lines those rabbits were still doing their thing, so with control on the pup, i started taking rabbits at 94 yards. first one head shot. second, the same. walked up a little more and out pops a couple more, 3,4, walked another 80 yards along tree line, and 5 and 6 pop out along corn field edge, popped them, and was so surprised to fill a rabbit limit.
I love rabbit, and usually do pot pies with them, but this year i'd like to try something else, I've heard of frying the legs and back pieces in franks red hot to do what some are calling "buffalo" style, Does anyone else have a recipe to share or suggest.

Haven't eaten one in yrs, but when we were younger, gobbled up quite a few. Used to quarter them, boil in salt water to almost cooked, then fry them with onions, butter and garlic, salt, pepper.

I use the whole rabbit. This is what I served my then girlfriend for our first supper. Must have worked, as she's been the Mrs now for almost 30 years now, and I really have no other redeeming characteristics

• 4 rabbit legs
  • 100 g of bacon
  • 3 ripe tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp each basil, parsley, thyme
  • 100 g black olives
  • 4 tbsp. tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. or as need of flour
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • Salt and pepper

1> Cut the onion into rings, chop the garlic. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and seed them. Rub the rabbit thighs with the flour on all sides. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, and brown the meat until lightly browned. remove from pan.
Wipe out the pan, heat the rest of the olive oil and throw in the onion rings, the cloves of garlic and the bacon. When browned, add the white wine and replace the rabbit. Season with salt and pepper and add the tomatoes and the herbs.
3> Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
Add some baby potatoes to the oven on a baking sheet, covered in oil and sprinkled with rosemary
4> If you like black olives put them in 5 minutes before serving
badda boom, badda bing.

hey good shooting on the bunnies SOS..
just to mention the rabbit daily limit was reduced from 6 rabblts to 5..

We use to enjoy the cottontail rabbit huntin and also the abundant local game birds...it was a tradition in my familys both hunting cooking and eating..
My mothers famous old maltese rabbit dish was cacciatore over home made pasta..
I perfected my #1 favourite tasting rabbit dish years ago to a T called hasenpheffer with sour cream sauce then served usually over a bed of egg noodles..absolutely delicious..ya the process is some what complicated on its preparation, but well worth its unique flavour like no other...I would start it with 4 good size early season rabbits..if your interested I could make the effort to try and dig it out..
the small games tenderness & flavour with a couple glasses of our good quality home made red wine was shared at the dinner table

Shake n bake then deep fried is great as long as you do not overcook the meat. Take it out before it’s done so it finishes while resting.

It’s tender and juicy when cooked properly, but you only have a 1-2 minute window to take it outta the fryer so you need to keep an eye on it.

Front legs come out first, then back legs and the back/loin is the last to come out of the fryer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks