Questions on moose

SouthernOntariosportsman

I got lucky and received a tag, First time applying, first time going.
Questions are simple i think,
Crown land camps? where and how do i access places to set camp.
General hunter unwritten rules/and things to watch out for.
Not sure what to expect, I'm not super aggressive with hunt style.
items to bring that are really useful.
any help would be appreciated
using new .308 with hornady GMX165gr

Start by exploring on google earth, then head up and scout out a few spots to camp and do some scouting for where you want to hunt. Make sure you have a plan B incase someone beats you to your spot.The farther off the beaten path you go the less likely you will have to complete for a spot.

Have a plan with how to deal with a downed moose. They are big animals and a ton of work. You have to skin and quarter within hours and get it hanging in a cool spot within hours, or get it to a butcher or you will lose the meat. Until you shoot a moose you can't appreciate how much work it is!

Learn how to call!

Have an idea how you can retrieve a moose before you shoot one. If it's standing in the middle of a swamp how will you get it.

Make sure you have sharp knives and sharpeners, nothing dulls a knife like moose hide.

The best thing you could to to prepare on such short notice is to hook up with a couple guys that are experienced moose hunters and ideally know the area that you are hunting. If you have a tag I'm sure you can find someone to join you or your group.

I got lucky and received a tag, First time applying, first time going.
Questions are simple i think,
Crown land camps? where and how do i access places to set camp.
General hunter unwritten rules/and things to watch out for.
Not sure what to expect, I'm not super aggressive with hunt style.
items to bring that are really useful.
any help would be appreciated
using new .308 with hornady GMX165gr
PM me. I have hunted Moose for 12 or 13 years but still remember my newbie days. I have camped on crown land and used hunt camps and I have flown into the middle of nowhere and learned the hardway that going somewhere where nobody is doesn't gaurantee success. Crown land access can be viewed online. But I would suggest you go to your WMU soon and scout out access points.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks