Questions on moose

SouthernOntariosportsman

I got lucky and received a tag, First time applying, first time going.
Questions are simple i think,
Crown land camps? where and how do i access places to set camp.
General hunter unwritten rules/and things to watch out for.
Not sure what to expect, I'm not super aggressive with hunt style.
items to bring that are really useful.
any help would be appreciated

where are you going?
this is what i am unsure about, i got the least liked tag, and by what it says i can hunt any wmu other than the 9 listed on the tag. -
I did see stomps post or red lake, but given what has took place last week, not sure if those animals will return completely in time. I'd love to go way up there, but not sure about the unknown land to hunt, if it's torched or not.
My tag states -Valid for calf moose in any wmu except wmu's 37,40,41,42,47,48,55a,55b,57 and 65.
I'm not a fan of chasing down small moose, but as this is my first opportunity to go on a moose hunt, i am going to give it a shot, i think the experience i gather will help for years to come for mature moose. i look at it as a learning curve. i was thinking Pembroke area , or just under parrysound.

I used to hunt just south of Algonquin Park in 54..lots of moose.
Parry Sound area the same..the Magnetawan River is good but not on your tag.
With a calf tag, you have to hunt the cows..calves are still with them. Rut is pretty much over by the gun season.
I guess your best bet is anywhere where you can get land access. We hunt up on Lake Nipigon and there is all the land you could ever hunt but its 18-20 hours..21A and 19, but its still tough hunting. 2 years ago there was a cow with twin calves..the cow got shot and the wolves got both calves within 48 hrs. We've never taken a calf, but friends that hunt the Magnetawan have taken several. Good luck with the hunt!!

For camping on crown land.... u can camp for up to 21 days on particular camp site

Find a flat and level clearing and set camp

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks