Questions about Air Fryer vs Convection Oven

Old Cut LongPointer

After reading Derkd9 recent post about using his Air Fryer I noticed in his pics there was little to no mess in the unit as per his pics. Now it just so happens I have a brand new full size oven c/w glass top burners that not only has Convection but an Air Fryer mode built into the oven , it also came with a Air Fry basket. So my first question is ; Are they not messy ? Do you use a drip tray to catch the juices and/or fat ? I've learned how to use a Convection Oven over the past couple years and love it but how or why is an Air Fryer better ? Any tips/tricks or Do's & Don'ts would be helpful, thanks !

The only real difference between an "air fryer" and a "convection oven" is size, and where the fan is located. BOTH cook by circulating hot air around the food you've put in it, but a counter top "air fryer" is smaller than a standard convection oven, so it circulates the air much faster than a standard full size convection oven does, but in true terms, ALL air fryers are in one way or another, a convection oven, and no matter the size, convection ovens/air fryers require routine cleaning and maintenance to work properly but a small counter top model will require that cleaning and maintenance much more frequently.

The fan in a counter top air fryer is located in the top (lid) while in a standard convection oven it's located in the back wall of the oven.

When I worked in the restaurants, most, not all, but most had at least one commercial size convection oven and several smaller "home" size standard ovens you'd find in any home. Some were electric, others gas fed. The oven I use at home is gas fed because that's all we're "allowed" to have where we live. I'd love to get a counter top convection oven, but as I said up there ^^^ we just don't have the counter space, nor the storage space for one when not being used.

ummmmmm..... my counter top Wolf and previous Cusinart convection ovens have the fan on the side, but yes in my large oven it is on the back. I agree that all air fryers are some sort of convection, but convection only ovens are not air fryers, you do not add oil to cook your meal. Not to split hairs here, but if you buy a convection only oven it is not an air fryer. With the convection on, your meal will be cooked much faster and also more evenly.

1678881544663.png

1678881560926.png

ummmmmm..... my counter top Wolf and previous Cusinart convection ovens have the fan on the side, but yes in my large oven it is on the back. I agree that all air fryers are some sort of convection, but convection only ovens are not air fryers, you do not add oil to cook your meal. Not to split hairs here, but if you buy a convection only oven it is not an air fryer. With the convection on, your meal will be cooked much faster and also more evenly.
I know what you're sayin.

If you've seen my other posts about the house I'd get built for my wife (and her entire floor that would be her walk in closet) if I were to win the lottery, I said I'd get the kitchen I want. That kitchen would in essence be very much reminiscent of a commercial kitchen complete with a full size commercial convection oven (if not two) I figure if I have the money to buy the land and build the house, I may as well get the kitchen I want and equip it the way I want it equipped right ;)

I'd love to get something similar to the picture you posted for our place now, but we just don't have the counter space or storage space for me to justify spending the money on it when I have nowhere to put it.

I know what you're sayin.

If you've seen my other posts about the house I'd get built for my wife (and her entire floor that would be her walk in closet) if I were to win the lottery, I said I'd get the kitchen I want. That kitchen would in essence be very much reminiscent of a commercial kitchen complete with a full size commercial convection oven (if not two) I figure if I have the money to buy the land and build the house, I may as well get the kitchen I want and equip it the way I want it equipped right ;)

I'd love to get something similar to the picture you posted for our place now, but we just don't have the counter space or storage space for me to justify spending the money on it when I have nowhere to put it.
sounds like you need to buy a nice Pub with a store top apartment and shut it down and just use it as your residence......lol

sounds like you need to buy a nice Pub with a store top apartment and shut it down and just use it as your residence......lol
Naw, remember, we live in one of these, so space can be (and is) an issue. I just need to convince my wife that we need to knock out the wall behind the oven and expand our kitchen space. But that means we'd have to get the gas company in to move the gas line for the stove (that ain't happening) we'd need to get a carpenter in here who knows what he or she is doing to put the counter tops and cupboards in place (that ain't happening either) and most importantly, it would mean my wife loses her craft room and well I ain't brave enough to make THAT suggestion to her, so that ain't happening either.

That said, IF I won the lottery, yeah I'd consider opening my own restaurant. I have the experience and the skill to do so, just not the money to make it happen.

Attachments

• ENOUGH SNOW ALREADY..jpg
    ENOUGH SNOW ALREADY..jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 12
Naw, remember, we live in one of these, so space can be (and is) an issue. I just need to convince my wife that we need to knock out the wall behind the oven and expand our kitchen space. But that means we'd have to get the gas company in to move the gas line for the stove (that ain't happening) we'd need to get a carpenter in here who knows what he or she is doing to put the counter tops and cupboards in place (that ain't happening either) and most importantly, it would mean my wife loses her craft room and well I ain't brave enough to make THAT suggestion to her, so that ain't happening either.

That said, IF I won the lottery, yeah I'd consider opening my own restaurant. I have the experience and the skill to do so, just not the money to make it happen.
Don't let that stop you. Lot's people looking to invest $$ in good businesses and people.

is it self cleaning?
Yes, it does. I believe it heats up to 700 degrees F for a few hours ? Not a Hydro bill I want to pay. LoL !

Trevor M ; It took me a bit to learn the Convection method and now use it all the time and I use wire racks on trays or in dishes to elevate whatever it is I'm cooking so I guess I'm kinda Air Frying. I was surprised by the pics in Derkd9's post of his roast pork and how clean his oven was ? So the big benefit to an Air Fryer is the hot air completely surrounds the item where as in a Convection Oven it is blocked/hampered/restricted by a tray or dish ?

I'm lucky to have two kitchens ( upstairs and Mancave ) both have convection ovens but the one upstairs is brand spanking new c/w air frying basket and I can't bring myself to messing it up yet.

Yes, it does. I believe it heats up to 700 degrees F for a few hours ? Not a Hydro bill I want to pay. LoL !

Trevor M ; It took me a bit to learn the Convection method and now use it all the time and I use wire racks on trays or in dishes to elevate whatever it is I'm cooking so I guess I'm kinda Air Frying. I was surprised by the pics in Derkd9's post of his roast pork and how clean his oven was ? So the big benefit to an Air Fryer is the hot air completely surrounds the item where as in a Convection Oven it is blocked/hampered/restricted by a tray or dish ?

I'm lucky to have two kitchens ( upstairs and Mancave ) both have convection ovens but the one upstairs is brand spanking new c/w air frying basket and I can't bring myself to messing it up yet.
I hear ya. This whole "makin a mess" just to eat thing kind of sucks, but.....sometimes, it's a necessary evil.

even though we have a self cleaning we still use tin liners for the bottom of our oven. lots of sizes available and you might even find your size from Traeger.

Put it right under a smoke detector, you'll keep it clean..... super clean. 😁 🌻
In our house, THAT isn't a problem. We replaced our old smoke detectors about 4 years ago with these new ones. We found out shortly after we bought them that they aren't exactly your "usual" smoke detectors. Sure they go off if there's smoke, we tested that with a candle, but these damn things detect a sudden increase in heat in the house as well, and that sets them off, and since we live in what would be considered a fairly small space, the damn things go off almost every time I cook something on the stove top, or when I've cooked something in the oven and open it to check it. ie when I cook a turkey, I can't open the oven to baste the damn bird without the damn "smoke" detectors going off. It's annoying beyond words, but at least we know the damn things work. They get tested almost every day.:mad:

In our house, THAT isn't a problem. We replaced our old smoke detectors about 4 years ago with these new ones. We found out shortly after we bought them that they aren't exactly your "usual" smoke detectors. Sure they go off if there's smoke, we tested that with a candle, but these damn things detect a sudden increase in heat in the house as well, and that sets them off, and since we live in what would be considered a fairly small space, the damn things go off almost every time I cook something on the stove top, or when I've cooked something in the oven and open it to check it. ie when I cook a turkey, I can't open the oven to baste the damn bird without the damn "smoke" detectors going off. It's annoying beyond words, but at least we know the damn things work. They get tested almost every day.:mad:
A good problem to have @Trevor M to know that your smoke detector’s do work for sure,but as you had mentioned,annoying beyond words! 😡 May I suggest not mounting a smoke (heat),detector near your bedroom as well!! perhaps,likely too much heat/smoke,coming around that area as well,besides your oven!! 😙 😂 🤣 just kidding of course my friend!! 👊👊 😉 and glad to know that you both will be safe! 👍👍🙂

A good problem to have @Trevor M to know that your smoke detector’s do work for sure,but as you had mentioned,annoying beyond words! 😡 May I suggest not mounting a smoke (heat),detector near your bedroom as well!! perhaps,likely too much heat/smoke,coming around that area as well,besides your oven!! 😙 😂 🤣 just kidding of course my friend!! 👊👊 😉 and glad to know that you both will be safe! 👍👍🙂
There's one in the living room above the couch beside the front door that we only use to move furniture in or out, and the other is in the hallway right by the damn furnace of all places. The furnace never sets either of them off, and both of them are well away from the stove......but when I cook......the added heat from the kitchen sets the damn things off. It happens even if I have the windows open in the spring and summer before we turn the AC on.

There's one in the living room above the couch beside the front door that we only use to move furniture in or out, and the other is in the hallway right by the damn furnace of all places. The furnace never sets either of them off, and both of them are well away from the stove......but when I cook......the added heat from the kitchen sets the damn things off. It happens even if I have the windows open in the spring and summer before we turn the AC on.
That’s Crazy 😜 ehh!! But again,it’s good to know my friend,that they do work wherever they are setup. 😌 😉👊👊 👍🙂

The new oven has a deep depression in the bottom as opposed to flat like most ovens (obviously a grease catcher) so a use once aluminum roast pan might fit but as for side splatter I guess that's why the sell Easy Off ? LoL ! I've switched to the blue can of Easy Off (lower fumes) and yes it works but it takes more product and longer time to dissolve grease/crud but at least you don't need a SCBA pack to do it.

Smoke detectors are up and tested on occasion as well. LoL !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks