Question For The Sonar Experts

trky chsr

Was going to go out on the bay today but at -40 I changed my mind. So I while I was watching the weather I started "pondering". I would like to know if you think a fishfinder would work if you mounted the regular (not ice) transducer on a dowel say and held it parallel to the bottom (say 3ft down), possibly rotating it around looking under the ice. I have a Lowrance elite 4x with both transducers but of course you don't need the ice one on the bay. What do you think? TC

I have a 19 year old portable Eagle Ultra that doubles as a ice setup. It has a mount that used the regular transducer that would suction normally onto the back of the boat transom that miraculously sat level on the water in the hole. It came with a peel and stick bubble level to make sure we were level.

Still have it. So I guess the answer is yes.

What you described would work just fine. However if you have an ice transducer, why not use it?

I just made a cross out of an old hockey stick and mounted the transducer to one end with a screw. Lower it in the hole, and the cross lets it sit just under the ice.

I guess I didn't describe my idea very well. I know I can place it in the hole and bounce the signal off the bottom but what I'm talking about is scanning under the ice facing the transducer towards shore say. My unit has a 1000' range so if my theory worked I could scan roughly 1000 ft in any direction. TC

Your better off to use your ice transducer for ice fishing. Reason being by turning the transducer on its side you will not get the results you are looking for, as it is not a side scan transducer . Your transduce has two frequency 200 kz. and 83 kz . the old side scan had a 8 degree cone . The 200 kz has a 19 degree cone angle and the 83 kz has a 6o degree cone angle. Also use your transducer on the ice mode it works best on this setting in cold weather. You have brought up a very good subject.
Would like to invite you to ANGLING OUTFITTERS SEMINAR THIS MONDAY NITE ON HOW TO USE YOUR SONAR AND GPS FOR ICE FISHING JAN. 13TH STARTS 6 TO 8
Trust this is some help to you
P.S. Your ice transducer will hang straight in the hole ,no board required .

Thanks for the info Monty (and the invite). I didn't really think it would work but you never know, someone may have tried it. In LPB where I normally fish I don't really need the sonar as normally the water is clear to 10+ feet. Of course today visibility was only 4ft or so so I could have used my ice transducer. My unit (Lowrance Elite 4x) also has a split screen flasher and normal although I don't know if this setting will work like a regular flasher. TC

If you go to menu sonar options hit enter scroll down to amplitude scope enter, this gives you six ping speeds per second . You then have a scale on the far right side along with your sonar . You no longer need the flasher mode as this will tell you the same thing . You now can follow your jig and see your perch rig. This is just a small sample of what your unit can do , we cover these basis in the seminar, put your unit on simulator and you will see what I mean.
Trust this helps you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks