Question fishing etiquette

Heitman

This thread sort of goes with @hortys fishing buddies post but I don't want to hijack his post.
I am wondering what you guys that take other people out fishing do with your catch if you don't catch each persons limit? Say there's you and 1 other person and you catch 6 walleye. Do you split it evenly or does the captain keep it, etc.

Always an even split on my boat.And any other fish I don't want are offered to the other person.say silver bass ect.

Always split the catch with the guest getting the big one. If an odd number the guest gets the most. That's what I do for Walleye and Bows. For perch, 1 for you 1 for me, 1 for you 2 for me, oops, 1 for me, 1 for me.

Do you ever not limit out @mick? Why don't you guide? There is nothing wrong with making some money doing something you love to do.

If we go out and they catch 4 and me 2...they can take 4 home...take home what ya catch..just glad for the company.....the wife doesn't like me going out by myself so happy when someone will go with me..(we usually stop someplace along the road back for a beer and I'll let 'em buy if they want to..)....don't ask for fuel either..

We tend to split the fish 50/50. The only acception is if I've been out a lot and have enough for a few feeds in the freezer. If I have enough at home I usually send my guests home with the majority, in return, there is a reciprocal BBQ'D steak dinner headed my way at some point.

I am usually the guest, or guy filling an open seat......but i do have small boats and occasionally taken people out fishing with me, so I have been on both sides of the fence.

99% of the time I have been offered to take more than equal share.....But I rarely want or take fish home with me! Just happy to be out fishing!!! but if i do keep anything its the smallest fish or rainbow too give too my parents. (they miss my fish farming days and endless supply of bows). The other ecception is if I catch a trophy worthy of mounting (10+ walleye, 20+bow, or 30+ chinook) I would ask boat owner if he minds me taking that fish???

Best to discuss before heading out!!!! Don't want 50+ perch in the box too find out, guest doesnt want any!! and know your stuck cleaning them.
or Ive been out with people who throw back any walleye over 6lb (conservation) but i found that out after I ripped the gills out of an 8lb figuring they would want it for dinner!!!

From my experience....most guests dont have many opportunities (no boat,cant afford charter, busy life, etc) to get out fishing, and are just happy getting out and maybe reeling in some nice fish. Its usually considered a bonus if you get enough to take home a meal!!! (also proves to your wife you weren't at the bar or striper's all day) (not that it matters to me...no wife, but for some it could)

Ive never had anyone ever ask me or insist for money. But I work for a living and understand that there are expenses for everything we do....Nothing is free in life.
I appreciate being taken out fishing!!....i'm not looking for handouts or a free ride,,,,,so i always offer to pitch in !!! & unless its close friends / family (favours returned) i find it almost insulting if person who took me out , doesnt eccept / allow me to contribute towards...gas, launch, bait etc....handouts ..make me feel like a lowlife...ive earned and worked for everything i have in life.

Above is ....my opinion and believes based on how I was raised....agree...disagree....too each there own!!!!

Lol here how nice am my boat my truck my fuel to get to lake my gas in the boat If fishing perch i buy minnows u just free ride lol oh but I make u reel in all the fish if trolling lmao
I run the filet knife split the fish equily and then I cook mine up for the evening supper

^^^ exactly the way it is lol.dont forget about all the ziplock bags as well. Need to start charging for them little babys.

Split catch evenly
That's why I think it's only fair gas and bait get split evenly!!!

My boat so I pay for winterizing, towing, and all other maintenance.

Lol here how nice am my boat my truck my fuel to get to lake my gas in the boat If fishing perch i buy minnows u just free ride lol oh but I make u reel in all the fish if trolling lmao
I run the filet knife split the fish equily and then I cook mine up for the evening supper

All too familiar. But you know what they say.......of you want things done right.....do ot yourself!

Wow I guess I am the odd man out here But I rarely ever get help with anything . They just show up and I am the "Charter"! .Never have a shortage of people to fill seats either. So when it comes to the end of the day and no one has contributed towards the effort, Well sorry the fishies are my !

I am learning as to what type of fishing to go out with what type of fisherman you bring. I won't bring anyone now that can't change a lure let alone set out a long line or unclip a planner board etc. I need 2 days rest after 6 hours of "chartering" It's perch or maybe Bass for them. The problem is everyone that can longline has their own boats and they are set up much better than mine. I better start thinking like you @Outcast but I know that's not going to happen. If it was any other year I would have plenty enough fish by now. My freezer is MT!!!! I'd go out with you and "help" but you keep ALL the fish. I better type LOL or I am going to be called a jerk again. I am a sensitive person you know, LOL, ROTFLMFAO, PARHUYA, FEITASI.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks