Proposal to establish a hunting season for double-crested cormorants in Ontario

Wow. I guess they didn't want to put them on the list with crows and starlings so that they could implement a season and non-toxic shot rules. More complicated but it makes sense.

I'd rather hunt swans. Cormorant just don't look all that appetizing

The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act currently prohibits anyone who kills game wildlife (including game birds), or who possesses game wildlife killed by hunting, from allowing that meat to spoil. Via this posting, the Ministry is also consulting on a proposal to amend the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act to add provisions so hunters could allow cormorant to spoil. This proposal would add provisions to the Act, so that persons who lawfully hunt (or possess) cormorants could be exempt from this requirement and would be subject to conditions that require the person to retrieve and dispose of the carcass. Should this proposal proceed, it may be accompanied by regulations to implement the exemption and requirements.

They aren't expecting anyone to eat the birds. This is 100% about population reduction and is the only time I recall that the government is actually considering the idea of saving tons of money by allowing hunters to reduce populations rather than opting for expensive culls.

This is not long term and if we are allowed to hunt them it'll only be until their numbers are reduced to whatever the managers deem to be a healthy population. I think mandatory hunter reporting of cormorant kills would be a good idea to make it easier for the MNRF to monitor the population and how much of an impact hunters are really having. It sounds like a good idea to open a hunt, but in the end there may not be enough hunters to control the population (think geese) so they may have to resort to other options.

What I don't understand is why they've allowed the population to grow so much then suddenly consider a 50 bird limit. That sort of suggests they should have opened a season long ago with lower limits.

I'm a "don't knock it til you try it" kinda guy and will most definitely try cooking cormorant a couple different ways to see how they are.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks