Prop question (dire straights)

FlyingViking

Hey folks.. smashed a prop on Lake St.Clair this weekend. It was a 13 3/4 x 15. And of course, nobody has one…. So I found a 14x17.. fits on perfectly but… what will I see in performance impact of any???

A longer time to get up to speed but higher speed? No impact? Any impact? Too big a jump from the original prop to this new one??

sent the smashed prop out to a repair house anyhow..

I would think that your top will suffer and you may not be able to pull the engines maximum revs Happened to me with a 50 Yamaha, same issue cracked it up in Marten River and North Bay only had a bigger one, hated it, slow out of the hole and worse top end. Was a great opportunity to get a 4 blade though.

I still have a 3 blade stainless for a Yamaha, would work good on a 60-75 and it's up for sale.

There is a website called prop wizard. Punch the info on your motor and boat and it will give the best size suited to the your needs. You should determine from there if the replacement prop you have would work

200 rpm per inch of pitch, give or take. What was your WOT rpm before?

Wide open rpm was about 5300 or so?

hammertime, found that website. Yup, recommend that original prop! Lol! But thank you!

What engine?

So you'll be around 4900 rpm wot. That's too low. |I have no clue about inboards but that's below the operating range of any outboard.

Flying Viking I have a prop that I have no idea what it fits, but I believe it is a 15 P . The number on it is 48-77342 A4OL 15P.

the extra prop I have is a Yamaha 11 3/4 x 12 - G stainless

Your boat would move a extra 2 inches per rev which in theory will give you a higher top speed if the hull design supports top speed. The bigger dia and larger twist could bog your engine down and increase your trolling speed. What are the engine and boat specs?

It’s a 70hp 4-stroke efi outboard.. Hull is princecraft 16.4 “pro series” aluminum. It has seating for 4 but pulled out 2 seats and usually only has at the heaviest, an addition 75-100 pounds in musky lures and musky gear.

it used to get up on plan “real quick” says my buddy with a bigger boat. Maybe I’m “borderline ok”?

Brand?

Yamaha 70hp says 5300-6300 is the operating range.

Use it for temporary use but lugging the engine is bad for it over a long period.

I'd offer you the spare off my 115 merc but likely wouldn't work, it's a 12.5 x 19

@FlyingViking hey my friend I think I have the prop your looking for sitting in my basement. It is for an 85 Johnson which we no longer have. Text me and I will find the size.

@FlyingViking hey my friend I think I have the prop your looking for sitting in my basement. It is for an 85 Johnson which we no longer have. Text me and I will find the size.

That may not actually work, @FlyingViking 's 4 stroke Evinrude is a 'rude in name only. The early 2000's 4 stroke Johnson/Evinrudes were actually Suzukis.

Not saying it work work, just saying if it doesn't, that would be why.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks