Prime Rib

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am planning on smoking a prime rib on Sunday, using my Bradley, any suggestions for a rub? And a marinade to soak it in prior to the cook.

Interested to see what suggestions are made.

I've never marinated a Prime Rib, and I'm a simple salt, pepper, granulated garlic guy.

Slow smoke to temp, rest and hot sear.

Already drooling LOL, hope it turns out stellar for you @HTHM

I'm not sure a Bradley can generate enough heat to do a prime rib in a reasonable amount of time?

I intend to start it in the morning, and it is a small cut as well.

I'm not sure a Bradley can generate enough heat to do a prime rib in a reasonable amount of time?

I've seen recipes with temps as low as 170* for smoking a Prime Rib roast, surely a Bradley can do that.

Just have an instant temp probe handy as a time to done calculation might be a little tough to figure out.

You'd definitely want the roast room temp to start. If it's 3-4lbs you should be okay. Mine takes a long time to get back up to temp after adding meat and won't get over 225 on high. You doing a reverse sear to finish?

I've seen recipes with temps as low as 170* for smoking a Prime Rib roast, surely a Bradley can do that.

Just have an instant temp probe handy as a time to done calculation might be a little tough to figure out.
I have a 4 probe temp monitor
You'd definitely want the roast room temp to start. If it's 3-4lbs you should be okay. Mine takes a long time to get back up to temp after adding meat and won't get over 225 on high. You doing a reverse sear to finish?
Yes a reverse sear, perhaps on the rotisserie

Salt,pepper only here.I do however slice garlic and insert it in the roast before I put it on the smoker.

I've never marinated a prime - its already tender, and as most marinades are designed to tenderize, it may have unanticipated consequences. You didn't mention how cooked you like it - Rare, medium rare etc. That makes a huge diff. I generally put mine in the oven at 450 for 15 mins, and then turn the temp down to 275 or 300 for 30 mins, then turn the oven off for and let it sit for 30 more. For rubs - usually sea salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder - although I will do the slivered garlic pieces like @Ozzy111 said above. I haven't done it in a long time, but you can also make a wet rub with Mustard powder, olive oil (or Dijon out of the jar), minced garlic, thyme, with an optional touch of brown sugar to taste. Slather the entire roast, let is sit at room temp for at least an hour and then cook on the skewer in the Q. with a dripping pan underneath. Use the drippings to make a mushroom gravy (caramelize mushrooms in butter or olive oil, remove. Create a roux, add drippings, water as required for right texture then caramelized mushrooms. A touch of red wine never hurts)

salt and pepper then 24hrs in the fridge ,then oil and herbes de provence, reverse sear 250 degrees for 3.5 hrs( 7 lb roast eg),cook to 120 degrees internal with thermometer, take it out at 120 and let it rest for 45 min, tent with tin foil loosely, oven to 500 degrees cover roast with butter, put on rack or roasting pan on carrots,cook for 10 minutes at 500 degrees doesnt have to rest afterwards ,cut along bone first and remove ribs, cut 3/4 to 1" pieces.
Its chef Jean Pierre's method and now my go to .Use the smoker for the first part I have a traeger.

See what you started @HTHM ?

The Wife bought a Prime Rib roast but wanted it cut into steaks. 2 bone roast, so 2 steaks. :eek::giggle:😁

Dinner tonight, steak one. Planned yum. 🌻

prmrib.jpg

Mine is thawing in the fridge as we speak, it's a 4 ribber.

Going in at noon tomorrow. Spiced this morning with salt, pepper, allspice, cut up cloves, and garlic.

Going in at noon tomorrow. Spiced this morning with salt, pepper, allspice, cut up cloves, and garlic.

That sounds good, I just realized it is only Saturday LOL.

Getting ready for retirement when the day of the week no longer matters. :oops::eek:🤪 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks