Portable ice hut clam Style question

Fish1

:stop::stop:Hey guys and gals just wondering if anyone out there has the clam portable ice huts are they any good?? Do they have a floor inside? Hey @apps if you happen to read this i noticed you have one in the one picture of you in the back ground looks like they may have swivel seats just wondered if you had any info you could tell me about it and are they worth the monies,also who sells that style for sale in the norfolk area,and what kinda wind will they take before you go sky diving?any info from anyone would be appreciated thxs

They have swivel seats, no floor , and take a lot of wind. Was at Bass pro a few weeks ago had a nice size for 499.00 I have had several

Clam Corp makes three basic types; the suitcase style, the flip style, and the pop-up style as do many other manufacturers. The pop-ups are basically just a backpack style tent, the suitcase style fold open and has a plastic floor pan, and the flip style is mounted on a sled which is equipped with folding chairs. Wind can be a problem with all of them but if you're inside a suitcase style or sitting on the chair in your flip they really can't go too far. If you want to fish comfortably in high winds, they all need to be tied down somehow. Here's some pics of a suitcase style and a flip style for reference:

Last edited:
I have a clam 2000(suit case style).ive had great luck with it so far. It's held up in some pretty strong winds out there. What I ended up doing is drilling a couple of holes in the base and use cork screws to hold it down. G.mech is that big suit case one urs? I've been looking for a bigger one so I can take my boy and wife out, but haven't had any luck finding a bigger one with a floor. Any ideas where to find one would be greatly appreciated. I've found lots without a floor but my little guys feet get cold easy.

I have a clam 2000(suit case style).ive had great luck with it so far. It's held up in some pretty strong winds out there. What I ended up doing is drilling a couple of holes in the base and use cork screws to hold it down. G.mech is that big suit case one urs? I've been looking for a bigger one so I can take my boy and wife out, but haven't had any luck finding a bigger one with a floor. Any ideas where to find one would be greatly appreciated. I've found lots without a floor but my little guys feet get cold easy.

Well it was mine but I sold it in favour of the flip style for better mobility. A buddy of mine has a 6800 just like that one that he never uses, I will see if he wants to unload it. I also have a Clam 4600 that I am going to post for sale this weekend which is a 2 man.

Last edited:
Great info and pictures guys thxs,ya that was another queston i had is without a floor in some of these portable huts how does one do it without getting your feet froze all day hanging around on the ice,evan with a littte portable heater just doesn't cut it.

Great info and pictures guys thxs,ya that was another queston i had is without a floor in some of these portable huts how does one do it without getting your feet froze all day hanging around on the ice,evan with a littte portable heater just doesn't cut it.

That is exactly why I bought that style first but the real key is good thermal socks & good winter boots. I bought a pair of Baffin Titans at TSC that are rated for -100 and have never had cold feet ever again. There are some other extreme temperature boots as well that lots of guys swear by.

Ya g.mech if your from around my area norfolk maybe be interested in your 2 man hut if your interested maybe you could send me the details price ect on it thxs does the clam have a floor in it also?

Ya g.mech if your from around my area norfolk maybe be interested in your 2 man hut if your interested maybe you could send me the details price ect on it thxs does the clam have a floor in it also?
PM sent

I have a two man Eskimo flipover style. Its my first portable and I love it!!! Probably not as fancy as a Clam but probably cheaper I just use a floor mat from the old van to keep my feet off the ice Not too heavy and takes up little room. Never used a suitcase type but the look like you would have to choose a fairly flat spot to set up. I like all the storage space in a flipover and how easy they are to put up and down if u like to move around a lot like I do Those pop ups are bigger but look like a pain to put up in much of a wind. I usually walk out and it pulls fairly easily as well Heater Buddy keeps me nice and cozy. Just wish the fish were biting

I'm very rough on pretty much everything so I need quality tools and toys or they end up breaking not long after I get my hands on them. Clam is simply the best when it comes to portable ice huts as they have exceptional customer service and build quality stuff.

I have owned all 4 styles they offer...suitcase, cube pop up, tent pop up, and flip over. The flip style is by far the best for running and gunning, but it's also the heaviest and hardest to store and transport. I used a Yukon TC (pay the extra for a thermal tarp it's definitely worth it!) for 3 seasons and eventually got tired of such a big hut which is great on the ice, but a pain everywhere else. I now use the Tamarack which is 1/4 the weight, takes 10x less space to store and transport, and offers 2x the room when setup at 1/3 the price. Just something to consider...

As for wind, the only time you may have an issue with a two man flip is when there is no snow on the ice. The Yukon TC came with stabilizer bars that you place between each bar that supports the tarp and with these in place you'd need tornado like winds before having to worry about anything.

You'll be happy with Clam.

I take a couple pieces of the 1.5" blue foam insallation (cut the size of bottom of my sleigh / tobogan) for standing or kneeling on......makes a big difference for keeping feet warmer.

I have a Clam Nanook which has been in service for a few years. I'm very happy with it. It's slightly smaller than a Yukon. I also use foam mats for my feet and a Buddy heater. The biggest drawback with any of the flip overs is weight. With all my stuff I'm sure mine is over 100lbs loaded. When the ice is clear as it was on Monday it's very easy to pull but when there is snow it's a different story. If you have a quad then no problem but if you don't prepare for a workout. TC

Skip the foam and just buy some Baffin Impact boots and be done with cold feet for good. With a first layer of Driwear socks to wick moisture and T-max socks over those for insulation coupled with the boots it's like you have heated boots on all day with bone dry feet.

Heaven for your feet when ice fishing or riding the ATV all day, no matter how cold it is...

Skip the foam and just buy some Baffin Impact boots and be done with cold feet for good. With a first layer of Driwear socks to wick moisture and T-max socks over those for insulation coupled with the boots it's like you have heated boots on all day with bone dry feet.

Heaven for your feet when ice fishing or riding the ATV all day, no matter how cold it is...

Hmmmm... piece of foam-free, Baffin boots $200, your choice! Actually I have a pair of Sorel Icefishers (no longer made I believe) so I don't use the foam too often but if you don't have high quality boots a cheap piece of foam works wonders. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks