Port Maitland today

beernut

Went out of Maitland early this am. Both riggers got caught in an unmarked gill net in 60 feet of water. No marker buoys within site. After we untangled I snapped a quick Google earth screenshot of the approximate position. MNR has been given the information. Net was running East and West.Screenshot_20200813-091351_Earth.jpg

Went out of Maitland early this am. Both riggers got caught in an unmarked gill net in 60 feet of water. No marker buoys within site. After we untangled I snapped a quick Google earth screenshot of the approximate position. MNR has been given the information. Net was running East and West.View attachment 25949
Sounds like a ghost net. They should be marked and running north to south. I seen a tug out yesterday anchored just off shore at the maitland public beach. On the way out I spotted a marker in 52fow SSE of port but only the one marker. I've heard reports of nets out there but really haven't seen any besides that one marker yesterday.

What do the net markers look like? We saw a few black sticks sticking out of the water last weekend. I thought they were nets so curious me I drove next to them with the sidescan on and it was just a long pole that went to the bottom.

What do the net markers look like? We saw a few black sticks sticking out of the water last weekend. I thought they were nets so curious me I drove next to them with the sidescan on and it was just a long pole that went to the bottom.
What you seen was a well head marker.....a net marker will have buoy on the base with pole with flag on top ..they about 4ft high I'm guessing

We were at Maitland for 630am fished tilll 1 it was getting bumpy. Ended up with 4 it was a slow grind. Fished out to 75 fow and their were lots of boat out way deeper almost out of sight! . One guy at dock said he was out in 100 fow crazy. All fish on worm harness washed some spoons and body baits for a while got nothing

Attachments

• FBC5B3DB-FA51-465E-ABDD-9AE525EF8F14.jpeg
    FBC5B3DB-FA51-465E-ABDD-9AE525EF8F14.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 58
Look how fat that fish is. No wonder they're not interested.

Generally if their running east and west their Perch nets and are on bottom.
Those nets run a long ways maybe half a Kilometre those marker sticks are a Bambo pole with a small black flag on top.
They are hard to see if your not watching or near them.

Those nets run a long ways maybe half a Kilometre those marker sticks are a Bambo pole with a small black flag on top.
I never knew the perch nets ran east to west..I thought all nets had to run perpendicular to shore and being mostly north shore they would run north south...special rules for the elusive perch 🤔 maybe that's why I didn't see the other marker cause I was looking north south

Fished Maitland Wednesday the 12th from about 6-8pm. Boated 5 fish in 80-84 fow straight south of port, off the fingers. All fish came within 10 feet of bottom, riggers and dipsys back 200-230 took fish. All on worm harnesses. Pulled the trolling gear around 745 to jump in for a quick swim and while I was in my brother tried rip jigging an Erie Dearie, managed to pull up a nice fish out of 80 fow in 3 minutes of screwing around. We're going to give that a shot next time, too much fun. The screen was full of fish, all within 20 feet of bottom. Very little action up high.

We ran east and west along that area after the tangle up, and there were absolutely no markers. By your description it sounds like it was a perch net. Thanks Fish Farmer!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks