Fishing Report Port Burwell

We started in 55 fow and didn't find much so moved out to 61 fow due South of port where we also found fish Friday. They were still there waiting for us and we got 12 nice sized fish between 4:30 and 6:30. 5,6,7 colour lead all produced equally with pink/purple and greasy chicken wing spoons (all copper backed of course). We didn't run anything deeper than that so maybe 8 would have been even better. Ran redfins on one line for over an hour with no joy so it got changed to a spoon and did well too. Another perfect evening on the lake with very few boats, no bugs, and lots of fish.

Last edited:
Do you guys run leadcore off of boards or straight out the back? I am new to leadcore line so I tried it on an inline board last night. It was too rough and unclipped.

If I'm only running 4 cores, I run them all off inlines. If I run more than 4, I use my big boards. I never run anything out the back, that area is reserved for fish coming in and lines going out. My Offshore inlines have the OR-18 snapper clips and I never have issues with them coming unclipped even using braid backing. If that's the board you have and you have the snapper clips already, you can tighten the screw up a bit and they should work fine.

great reports..last 2x out offshore stanley 8 colour micro was perfect strike zone best action

Can you run the in-line boards with braid backing? I thought this was a no-no ??

It's not great to clip onto the lead core but braid works fine. Not sure what the issue could possibly be?

Well now I’m picking up in lines lol all my lead core are backed with braid. I thought that braid and the clips do not work well together

braid is know to slip in the pinched style clips...
the OR 18 clips G mech mentions about his offshore boards..are designed and made to clamp and hold braided lines..with a small phillips screwdriver you can fine tune the tension adjustment to hold firmly..ya they work good..

if you do decide to get a set..save your money and don't bother with the tattle tail accessory..

i have had my 2 sets of offshore boards standard size for years..they have done me well..
church boards are popular as well..

So if my reel has 10 colors lead core on it but I only let out say 5 color and want to clip my inline board on how would I do that if I am not suppose to clip it onto lead core line? I have braid backing but that is after my 10 color is all out. Sorry. I'm just confused. Never used lead core before. Thanks for your help guys.

So if my reel has 10 colors lead core on it but I only let out say 5 color and want to clip my inline board on how would I do that if I am not suppose to clip it onto lead core line? I have braid backing but that is after my 10 color is all out. Sorry. I'm just confused. Never used lead core before. Thanks for your help guys.
A couple ways that I know of..... If you have lots of $$ and can afford lots of rods/reels you spool a specific #of colours on the reels and then run Braid/Mono backing finish. Example.... One reel has 5 colours then backing, another has 6 or 7 colours then backing and so forth... a lot of charter boats set up like that.
I don't have that kind of $$ so I have set up reels with 3 colours and then tie a segment of braid (60 -75') then follow that with another 2 colours and then another segment of Braid (60-75'). Then another 2 -3 colours followed by (60-75') etc. Then you can be more flexible on how many colours you put out when using boards. You clip boards to the incremental Braid sections.
Those are 2 ways I know of, but I've only been fishing Great Lakes for 2 years so I'm rather new at this also.

That sounds great bruceroy. I only have one line with lead core. 10 colour. So I may try that. Thanks.

I have the offshore inline boards and I only have 10 colour leadcore lines.
I clip the boards to the leadcore and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).
I do agree with not getting the tattle flags because I haven't been able to get them to work. I just leave the drag on the reel loose, watch the boards if the drag doesn't go off but the board looks different I reel it in and check the line.

I don't have that kind of $$ so I have set up reels with 3 colours and then tie a segment of braid (60 -75') then follow that with another 2 colours and then another segment of Braid (60-75'). Then another 2 -3 colours followed by (60-75') etc. Then you can be more flexible on how many colours you put out when using boards.
Bruceroy - Interesting concept, mind if I steal it? My only concern would be about the numbers of knots. what's your favourite knot going from leadcore to braid and back? The ol' snip off some lead and work the braid into the sheath? Albright, Blood, Uni or something unique to your boat?
Thanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks