Fishing Report Port Burwell June 25 2022

Interesting "opinions" on fluro... Invisible in water... No... Considerably less light reflection... Absolutely... Your knot strength problem is due to friction when cinching... Lubricate thoroughly... I use 20lb Seagaur Invizx for all my leaders... Have never snapped a fish off... Have landed kings upto 35.69lbs with it... Inspect your leaders and knots often... Berkley vanish is one of the lowest quality fluro there is... Buy quality... Get quality... 75% of catching fish is the small details... ;)

Here is a good pool test for comparing Mono vs Flouro visibility. Starts at 3.30 minute mark. We run STS Seaguar Flouro.
A few weeks ago I went 9/10 on the pike between 20 to 30 inchers. Running 15lb 16 inch flouro leader - no break offs.
No steal leaders either. - That's field tested. I agree its expensive.

Only trolling on dipsey do we use 7.5 feet of it. Thats because we only want two knots in the setup. We run with no snubbers. The line has to handle the hit and hookset. 30lb mono on the dipsey works and is fine if the water isn't clear. Which is most of the time on Erie.

I've had great success with seaguar STS. I'm sold on it. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I start the season with 15-20 pre-tied leaders arranged on 2 sections of foam noodle. The ones in use are checked after every fish and if one has gone south the next one is seconds away.

Replace the bad ones here at home.

I tie them all, so if a knot fails it's my fault.

Blameless to date. LOL 😁. 🌻

It’s interesting, I watched that line comparison video and to me it could support the opposite point – the fluoro/mono difference looks very subtle at best. The braid visibility is obviously in a whole different ballpark but even then I catch plenty of pike and bass on straight braid. Also, the 30 lb mono example was much closer to the camera than the others.

IMO, regardless of line type, any open water break-off (not cut-off) of 20 lb test line is user error – bad knot, worn out line, bad drag setting. If in doubt, just try lifting a 20 lb dumbbell at the end of a fishing rod to see what it feels like. Our line strengths are overkill, but it buys us some forgiveness for user error and wear.

Our lures tend to be laughably non-realistic – gaudy neon colours, violent flapping/wobbling, rattles, dangling hooks, etc. It’s hard to believe that a fish would succumb to all that trickery (dragged behind a puttering outboard and giant cannonball, no less), then turn up its nose because a tiny strand of clear plastic has the wrong chemical formulation lol. But who knows…

I prefer mono for my dipsy leaders. 20# big game. Yes it’s cheaper but it also has more stretch than fluro. I like that shock absorber on dipsy’s. Especially for kings. If you are running something other than flasher combo’s I believe you also get better action. It also saves me running snubbers. Food for thought.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks