Port Bruce Saturday 21st

quackers

Debated between Bruce and Burwell for Saturday and decided on Bruce. Started out just east of port in 41' and moved west a little to 36'. Bite was intermittent when the fished moved through. The big ones were a really light bite, just weight on the line. Could see probably 40-50 other boats but fairly scattered as the fish seemed to be. Caught more gobies than we ever have before, not sure why. The perch were coughing up smelt, shiners and a few small gobies. The fish were good sized for the most part with about 1/2 being "jumbos". Brought home 28. Great day to be on the water and a great start to the Erie season! Great service and minnows from North Erie Marina.

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

Looks like the quality (size) will be as good as last year---nice catch.

"The perch were coughing up smelt,"

I was lucky enough to pick up some smallish cleaned smelt at the grocery store. Estimate size between 3-4" and a few smaller ones as well so I made salties out of them that look pretty good.

Story goes if you dont have "emerald" shiners your luck will be pretty poor so has anyone gone this route with the same success as shiners.

I plan on trying them off the pier at Bruce on a perch rig.

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Good catch! I cant wait to get into some perch!

On a side note, is it legal to use smelt for bait? I always thought it was illegal, but another guy down at the pier said he uses them for pike... Just curious.

DSCF1047.jpg

these are the types of baitfish that can be used as "livebait"

Minnows
Blacknose shiner
Blackchin shiner
Bluntnose minnow
Brassy minnow
Central stoneroller
Common shiner
Creek chub
Eastern blacknose dace
Emerald shiner
Fallfish
Fathead minnow
Finescale dace
Golden shiner
Hornyhead chub
Lake chub
Longnose dace
Mimic shiner
Northern redbelly dace
Pearl dace
Redfin shiner
River chub
Rosyface shiner
Sand shiner
Spotfin shiner
Spottail shiner
Striped shiner
Suckers
Longnose sucker
Northern hog sucker
Shorthead redhorse
Silver redhorse
White sucker
Others
Central mudminnow
Lake herring (cisco)
Trout-Perch
Sticklebacks
Brook stickleback
Ninespine stickleback
Threespine stickleback
Sculpins
Mottled sculpin
Slimy sculpin
Darters and Logperch
Blackside darter
Fantail darter
Iowa darter
Johnny darter
Least darter
Rainbow darter
River darter
Tessellated darter
logperch

That is C&P from 2011 regs I can't find anything that specificly names smelt so I would think as long as they are dead your fine but I wouldn't try using live smelt it also name yellow perch and alewife can't be used as livebait.

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove and Live Eye Jigs for their support

Hey Packrat, I'd think smelt would work if that's what they're keyed in to feeding on. I thought last year berkley gulp minnows in shiner size should work on a hot bite, but I tried them side by side with shiners and not one fish while the shiners they were hitting as soon as they hit the bottom, and they'd also hit dead dried up shiners I could scrounge out of the boat. Seems like when they're really keyed in on the shiners they don't want much else. I've been saving my leftovers for salties incase shiners get scarce again in June like they seemed to last year. Hard to pay $5 a doz. later when you can get a generous scoop for $5 now.

quote:
Originally posted by quackers

Hey Packrat, I'd think smelt would work if that's what they're keyed in to feeding on. I thought last year berkley gulp minnows in shiner size should work on a hot bite, but I tried them side by side with shiners and not one fish while the shiners they were hitting as soon as they hit the bottom, and they'd also hit dead dried up shiners I could scrounge out of the boat. Seems like when they're really keyed in on the shiners they don't want much else. I've been saving my leftovers for salties incase shiners get scarce again in June like they seemed to last year. Hard to pay $5 a doz. later when you can get a generous scoop for $5 now.

Hey quackers I also save the leftover minnows to make salties.

Here is a link for a method I use that turns out pretty good IMHO

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Thanks for the link. That looks to be salt curing them. Looks effective but alot of steps. I've got some now in the freezer for 2 weeks in just a high salt brine. Maybe I'll take them out and air dry and then freeze again and see how they do.

packrat I just seen the link you posted for salties - just after I also posted it on another thread.
It is by far the best method I've used for salties. More work but worth it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks