Off Topic Poll Results - Thoughts

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
I closed the recent poll about an Ad-Free Channel 6-8 experience. About one third of those that responded indicated a willingness to pay to see content with no ads. For those that missed it, the poll was conducted in response to a member suggestion to be able to pay for an ad-free experience. To provide more background, for about the past two years, I've been displaying more advertising to try to stem a steady decline in site revenue.

My thoughts about current state:
  • The 6-8 "community", if I can call it that, is made up of members that love to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors.
  • Central to this community is the sharing of member experiences . Reports that tell a good story, with pictures, and maybe some humour, are what attracts people to this forum.
  • It takes time and effort for members to participate here and share their reports. They get little in return. Sometimes they get criticized or worse. In the past, I've rewarded some contributors with small cash tokens for their efforts.
  • It takes my time, effort and money to keep the site running. There are now more competing demands for my time and the financial return is less.
  • Sponsorship by local business has not been realized to its full potential.
  • Some people really dislike ads and block them with ad-blocking software while others are not bothered by, or actually like the ads.
Steps taken:
  • I've created the R.O.C. group and placed in it members whom I think have made significant contributions to the community; this group and sponsors see the fewest number of ads.
  • I've purchased and installed add-ons to the forum software that can identify:
    • registered members versus guests - guests see the maximum number of ads, registered members see fewer ads
    • if a site visitor is using ad-blocking software - those blocking ads on Channel 6-8 are nagged occasionally to unblock ads. Adblocking is an arms race and my detector may soon be useless.
  • I've purchased and installed a "Donate" add-on that, if implemented, would allow Channel 6-8 members (guests?) to make a voluntary PayPal/Credit Card donation to help fund site operation.
Under consideration
  • An additional membership level that, along with the R.O.C level, could be "earned" based either on merit (participation, great reports , likes) or through financial support of the site through the "Donate" capability mentioned above.
  • A "Pro-Shop" forum section where sponsors could better highlight and promote their products and sales, providing them a more identifiable return for their sponsorship dollar.
  • Formalize a "Pay for Good Content" policy and try to enlist more contributors who are routinely on the water or in the field but, today, have little incentive to share their experiences. Increases in revenue would be, in part, shared with those who routinely tell great stories.
  • Re-think the classified section and ask that those who register just to sell stuff to the community members also make a contribution through forum participation or financial donation. Continued use of the classified section would be based on achieving a higher membership level than "registered".
In the original Poll thread, I was reminded of my place, and that the members themselves are whom will determine if this community flourishes or withers away. So, if you've managed to read this far, I would ask you, please, for your comments and suggestions as they relate to the possible future of Channel 6-8.

I belong to a banjo players site..a very large site at that. They use a "banjo players union" that you can join for a small fee..I think its $25..and you get a t-shirt! Also, with their sales forum, you're asked for a 5% donation if you sell. Given a lot of the banjos sold are in the $1500-$10,000 range, its quite a bit of $$$. Might be a way for sellers to support the site.
With the ROC group, any thought to having a way people with ROCs to pay a fee to join, and would have private access to the groups names and boat call signs so they could call on 68 on the lake and share info?

I think the donate option is a great idea especially if it removes ads and I like the pro shop section idea.
Paying people for content does not seem sustainable.
Limiting classified only hurts the members who are looking for something to buy. They would simply have less to choose from.

Stomp, I’m with yah no matter what you decide. Your track record speaks for itself.
Thanks for creating a space for all of us to share and learn from each other.

Best site for Lake Erie. Great group of members always willing to share. I dont mind the ads and think a donation add on would work great. You do this for the love of the outdoors and i would certainly miss it if it was gone. Have no problem making a donation and am sure most members would contribute. ?

Love the site and the group overall. No matter where you go the experience will be mixed with some negative issues. The one thing I would suggest relates to the classified section. I have used it quick a few times over the years and it’s worked well. I have noticed some people who post a LOT of things for sale, constantly. My suggestion would be something along the lines of registered members get like one classified post a month (or two or whatever you want) if you want to post more then one item a month then you need to buy a “premium” membership or pay like a classified fee. Similar to other online selling sites limiting free transactions. Cheers

Love the site been on for years and learned how to walleye fish the big water here. You don’t realize how good the members and this site are until you start looking around at others. This time of year I look at spoon pullers a lot and they have very few posts compared to here which speaks volumes for our members. What ever way you go @stomp I will support the direction. If it costs a few bucks a year it is a good investment..

Rick

I closed the recent poll about an Ad-Free Channel 6-8 experience. About one third of those that responded indicated a willingness to pay to see content with no ads. For those that missed it, the poll was conducted in response to a member suggestion to be able to pay for an ad-free experience. To provide more background, for about the past two years, I've been displaying more advertising to try to stem a steady decline in site revenue.

My thoughts about current state:
  • The 6-8 "community", if I can call it that, is made up of members that love to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors.
  • Central to this community is the sharing of member experiences . Reports that tell a good story, with pictures, and maybe some humour, are what attracts people to this forum.
  • It takes time and effort for members to participate here and share their reports. They get little in return. Sometimes they get criticized or worse. In the past, I've rewarded some contributors with small cash tokens for their efforts.
  • It takes my time, effort and money to keep the site running. There are now more competing demands for my time and the financial return is less.
  • Sponsorship by local business has not been realized to its full potential.
  • Some people really dislike ads and block them with ad-blocking software while others are not bothered by, or actually like the ads.
Steps taken:
  • I've created the R.O.C. group and placed in it members whom I think have made significant contributions to the community; this group and sponsors see the fewest number of ads.
  • I've purchased and installed add-ons to the forum software that can identify:
    • registered members versus guests - guests see the maximum number of ads, registered members see fewer ads
    • if a site visitor is using ad-blocking software - those blocking ads on Channel 6-8 are nagged occasionally to unblock ads. Adblocking is an arms race and my detector may soon be useless.
  • I've purchased and installed a "Donate" add-on that, if implemented, would allow Channel 6-8 members (guests?) to make a voluntary PayPal/Credit Card donation to help fund site operation.
Under consideration
  • An additional membership level that, along with the R.O.C level, could be "earned" based either on merit (participation, great reports , likes) or through financial support of the site through the "Donate" capability mentioned above.
  • A "Pro-Shop" forum section where sponsors could better highlight and promote their products and sales, providing them a more identifiable return for their sponsorship dollar.
  • Formalize a "Pay for Good Content" policy and try to enlist more contributors who are routinely on the water or in the field but, today, have little incentive to share their experiences. Increases in revenue would be, in part, shared with those who routinely tell great stories.
  • Re-think the classified section and ask that those who register just to sell stuff to the community members also make a contribution through forum participation or financial donation. Continued use of the classified section would be based on achieving a higher membership level than "registered".
In the original Poll thread, I was reminded of my place, and that the members themselves are whom will determine if this community flourishes or withers away. So, if you've managed to read this far, I would ask you, please, for your comments and suggestions as they relate to the possible future of Channel 6-8.
@stomp is there any chance of a,“Lost & Found“ section as well? I am not on Facebook or on any other Fishing sites,etc., as a member to post this there,because I recently found a fishing tackle bag,with lure’s,etc.,along the thames river while I was walleye fishing & I would love to give it back to the rightful owner,if they can identify it of course. Thanks in advance @stomp & I love this site now for many,many,year’s as you know & keep up the great work!! ??;):)

I belong to a banjo players site..a very large site at that. They use a "banjo players union" that you can join for a small fee..I think its $25..and you get a t-shirt! Also, with their sales forum, you're asked for a 5% donation if you sell. Given a lot of the banjos sold are in the $1500-$10,000 range, its quite a bit of $$$. Might be a way for sellers to support the site.
With the ROC group, any thought to having a way people with ROCs to pay a fee to join, and would have private access to the groups names and boat call signs so they could call on 68 on the lake and share info?
Hey if you could teach @stomp to play the banjo he could pick some coin sitting out in front of Costco. :D

I'm with the rest whatever it takes I'm in. I love this forum when I get up every morning the first thing I do is make the coffee then turn on the PC and click on 68. Unless I'm gone fishing but even then I check it on the phone in between hits. My wife always says what are you laughing at in there? There's so many comical comments along with the great fishing reports including so many wonderful members who contribute to the experience all of which makes this site so distinct from the other boring sites I have visited. They just don't have the X-factor like good ole' Stomp's Channel 68 does and never will. Through all your hard work and dedication you have built this into the ultimate site hands down, nothing comes close in my opinion. I say thank you @stomp. ????

Last edited:
I'm a newer member and really only recently started to try and be more active on this site, I've learner so much from so many of the members here already. I wouldn't normally pay to use a forum, but I couldn't imagine not having this site, I'm on it numerous times a day as it's now part of my morning routine , 68, windfinder, weather, calendar, I'd pay, donate, watch ads, do you need someone to take the garbage out?

Thank you, this site is awesome.

Hey if you could teach @stomp to play the banjo he could pick some coin sitting out in front of Costco. :D
Right on!! @Wave Runner!! lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I was just at Costco a few days ago,& a ? banjo player would be nice there,while we are waiting in line 98DE2925-6514-4418-97E8-8B9D890708CF.jpeg 3AD69441-F0F4-4132-A4BD-2F3BCAB6119A.jpeg for the doors to open!! I will be supporting @stomp for sure,by bringing some coin the next time I go to Costco!! lol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)??:D

I'm a newer member and really only recently started to try and be more active on this site, I've learner so much from so many of the members here already. I wouldn't normally pay to use a forum, but I couldn't imagine not having this site, I'm on it numerous times a day as it's now part of my morning routine , 68, windfinder, weather, calendar, I'd pay, donate, watch ads, do you need someone to take the garbage out?

Thank you, this site is awesome.
This is our second year fishing Erie for walleye. This site is such an amazing group of knowledgeable folks. Couldn't be without it. Just let me know where to send my bucks... Thanks Stomp for all you do!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks