Please Read...

On autopilot or not, if I'm approaching your boat from your starboard side, regardless of what gear either of us are trolling with, I am the 'stand on' vessel and have the right of way. It follows that you must be approaching my vessel on my port side and are the 'give way' vessel so you are required to make an early and clear change in direction to avoid a collision.

With that said, if you're the stand on vessel and the other boat is pinched by an obstruction such as a net or other vessels, make your move early to help out just to be cool. It's always nice to be courteous but sometimes when people are the stand on vessel and don't understand the rules they turn away and head fake you into going the wrong direction. The stand on vessel should hold their course whenever possible just to avoid confusion.

If you're intentionally out in fog without radar, God has a special spot for you. Even if you have radar, small craft don't always show up and they will end up sitting beside you at the gates when you run them over. If you get stuck out in fog, slow down and sound your horn that's about all you can do and it's the law. The Canadian Coast Guard ship Griffon killed 3 commercial fisherman off of Port Dover not that long ago and they had all the gear.

http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/1991/M91C2004/M91C2004.html

Last edited:
On autopilot or not, if I'm approaching your boat from your starboard side, regardless of what gear either of us are trolling with, I am the 'stand on' vessel and have the right of way. It follows that you must be approaching my vessel on my port side and are the 'give way' vessel so you are required to make an early and clear change in direction to avoid a collision.

With that said, if you're the stand on vessel and the other boat is pinched by an obstruction such as a net or other vessels, make your move early to help out just to be cool. It's always nice to be courteous but sometimes when people are the stand on vessel and don't understand the rules they turn away and head fake you into going the wrong direction. The stand on vessel should hold their course whenever possible just to avoid confusion.

If you're intentionally out in fog without radar, God has a special spot for you. Even if you have radar, small craft don't always show up and they will end up sitting beside you at the gates when you run them over. If you get stuck out in fog, slow down and sound your horn that's about all you can do and it's the law. The Canadian Coast Guard ship Griffon killed 3 commercial fisherman off of Port Dover not that long ago and they had all the gear.

http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/1991/M91C2004/M91C2004.html
Had a boat approaching on my port side from behind had autopilot on running a straight line. The guy keeps coming overtaking us on the port side my boards out and he's not 10 feet from it. So I turn 20 degrees starboard the stupid ass follows same course. So I pull to neutral wait 10 seconds hard to port and go behind said jackass. Everything missed as they say you cant fix stupid. Most shit out there can be cured by something call courtesy. Autopilot runs a programmed course mostly straight line following maritime rules is correct but sometimes you have to be courteous and just give them the one finger salute.

On weekends I may go over 10 miles away from port just to fish away from everyone. when I have a charter and have the big boards out as far as I can to my typical set up with a full crew are 4 off each board and 4 dipseys or 3 and 3 5 dipseys my riggers are to hold my nets. I do a lot of turns.

Had a boat approaching on my port side from behind had autopilot on running a straight line. The guy keeps coming overtaking us on the port side my boards out and he's not 10 feet from it. So I turn 20 degrees starboard the stupid ass follows same course. So I pull to neutral wait 10 seconds hard to port and go behind said jackass. Everything missed as they say you cant fix stupid. Most shit out there can be cured by something call courtesy. Autopilot runs a programmed course mostly straight line following maritime rules is correct but sometimes you have to be courteous and just give them the one finger salute.
@tailfeathers, you were in a Blue Pro Line, right? :unsure:

GPS... Autopilot... RADAR must be next... I better have a chat with @Three Bouys ....
Actually @stomp I am looking into that addition for the boat. But in all reality, it’s not what we have for electronics installed on our boats for navigating/fishing, we still need to know the right of way when approaching or over taking another vessel.
It happened to me last year when I was on auto pilot and landing fish when another ? boat came across my bow on port side and had some big words for me to adjust course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks