Please Read...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
When your out trolling either side of the point... PAY ATTENTION... Always have at least one pair of eyes scanning infront of you... There is never a reason to come closer than 200 yards to another boat with rods down... I assure you that isn't the only spot with fish... Use common sense and respect your fellow angler... Peace...

100% agree @jammer, I have always been a bit anal about making sure I stay clear of other boats.

Now that I have added big boards I will be a mess for the first few outings LOL

When your out trolling either side of the point... PAY ATTENTION... Always have at least one pair of eyes scanning infront of you... There is never a reason to come closer than 200 yards to another boat with rods down... I assure you that isn't the only spot with fish... Use common sense and respect your fellow angler... Peace...
Well said jammer

Great reminder!

Please also try to have patience with some of us who are newer to trolling. I was likely around 200 yards last night from another boat as I was "stuck" up against a commercial net and still getting the handle on how fast I can turn with all this gear out. Neither boat had boards out but it was still closer than I wanted to be.

Nobody wants to wreck your gear or their own!

My biggest complaint is the auto pilots. With the advent of the auto pilots it would seem that nobody is looking ahead and tending lines. Just because you have Auto Pilot on your vessel does not give you the right of way in any situation. Captain of the vessel is in charge and needs to be at the pilot's seat and know his position with all other vessels and react. Not just let Auto Pilot drive and then tell all others to get out of his way!

My biggest complaint is the auto pilots. With the advent of the auto pilots it would seem that nobody is looking ahead and tending lines. Just because you have Auto Pilot on your vessel does not give you the right of way in any situation. Captain of the vessel is in charge and needs to be at the pilot's seat and know his position with all other vessels and react. Not just let Auto Pilot drive and then tell all others to get out of his way!
Everyone... add a RADAR upgrade... see site sponsors Angling Outfitters, Proctor Marine, Xtreme Marine, Don Hyde Marine, Turkey Point Marina... they will be glad to help you out... tell them @stomp sent you

Last edited:
I agree wish I could have given you more likes. The auto pilots r great but the people lucky enough to have them need to be more responsible. To many times i have seen it first hand. Captain must always be aware of other boats

Actually it would help a great deal.

Especially as those conditions rolled in.
Can't dispute that @hvyhaul, but it can change quickly out there.

Also, when you're young and stupid and head out in the dark AND in the fog, you're kinda snookered when the sun rises and you still can't see a damn thing ... me and a buddy almost ran into the back end of a tug dropping nets on such a day... we were within 100 yards before we heard what sounded like a bell and saw the net going out in front of us..??same day we ran across a young guy and a beautiful young woman in a bikini lost in the fog near the elbow..?. they had been out all night and they asked us to point them at Erie PA...? I think I had my Lowrance 350a by then but they still didn't have GPS.

GPS... Autopilot... RADAR must be next... I better have a chat with @Three Bouys ....

My son and I were anchored up in the inner bay last year due to tremendous fog and some jack ass went probly 35 to 40 miles an hour past us 10 yards away. I know he couldn't see us because we could only see them at the last minute..... it's no joke out there for sure.... plus yes I agree it's a big lake stay clear of other boaters. We had a guy in nanticoke following us and every time we reeled a fish in he tried to cut us off our course.... karma is a bitch when his trolling motor quit on him. Once we knew all was good we decided to fish else where and guess what he followed us there too lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks