Off Topic Pleasant Bay and surroundings, Lake Huron

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Dear All: looking at a few cottages/houses around Pleasant Bay (and Pleasant Harbor) on Lake Huron to spend a week next summer with our friends at the beginning of August. I never fished Lake Huron yet but hope to do so this year. I am planning to go out with the riggers and other toys in a good weather but if the weather is not good, will fish the bay. Is there a good boat launch around that area? Also, would appreciate a few tips as to what fish is there in the bays. Thanks. Vlad

1579834471168.png
Chantry Chinook Salmon Derby 2020
Saturday July 25 To Sunday August 09, 2020

theres been salmon caught up around pikes bay area in the past...further south might be a better bet off saugeen shores..check the boundry map Pleasant bay is within the boundry
pikes bay has a weigh in station...if your looking for something to do...

We fished off pikes bay lots of smallmouth bass and a few big yellow perch offshore around that small island WSW...

Bass, pike, perch and occasional walleye in the near shore waters. Offshore the Laker fishing has been phenomenal the past few years. Chinook, Rainbow and Coho are there as well but will take work to put them in the boat consistently.

Josh

Hey Vlad one more thing..if your experiencing rough water conditions on huron and you can't get out offshore..there is fishin rainbows colpoys bay..theres a sandbar drop off not far from the boat launch...we have fished it a few times.. we also caught a few lakers too..August is a good time

we don't keep the lakers..limit on rainbows is 2

Lions head use to be good fishing for king salmon...I never fished the cliff/dropoff there..
For one thing the bruce penisula is beautiful country and lake hurons water & fish are top quality

Last edited:
Got it... Thank you all. What is the nearest boat launch on the west side of the peninsula, i.e. around that Pleasant Bay?

not sure my friend..farthest north we fished is out of Pikes bay..
I also heard fishing off red bay too..can't remember the details..

Got it... Thank you all. What is the nearest boat launch on the west side of the peninsula, i.e. around that Pleasant Bay?

Pretty sure Little Pine Tree harbour less than a mile north has a launch that should be fine with the current water levels. Pine Tree Harbour woukd be next at about 3 miles and Stokes bay is about 8 miles to the south.

Josh

just to mention...lake huron gets hit with some heavy duty violent storms..especially up there on the bruce..we have been chased off twice and made it...ya I am not going to get into the scary details...except we are alive..
august september are usually the times for the biggest of threats
ya a friend sitting in her big sailboat in goderich harbour when the tornado hit.. what A frightning story she shared..and a few might remember that one...that was in august too..don't remember the exact date..

ya its good to be aware of the daily marine weather & radar...

Ah... thanks Mick. I usually go by Windy and another app for this. Any wind about 15km/h and waves above 1.5ft including swell is a NO GO for me.

thanks for accepting my advice Vlad...some of those water spouts to can be a game changer..

Not sure how far North up the peninsula you're going, but there is a free public launch on the west side at Johnston's Harbour near the intersection of Dorcas Rd and Johnston's Harbour Rd

Thank you Murph. I think we are going to be around the inner Pleasant Bay. I don't see a good depth over there based on the maps that would allow a good boat launch, which is why I thinking to ask about this. Cheers.

heres a fishing forum I have been a member for years and is very popular up there..
greybruceoutdoors.com

last years 2019 chantry chinook classic results are very impressive for size on top 25 chinooks and numbers...there was 779 salmon weighed in vs 443 trout...
biggest king was 28.96 won $15,000
biggest trout a laker 28.29 won 5,000
Iam planning a trip up there myself for the last week of the derby..i hope i hope..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks